PDA

View Full Version : How does healthy hair feel?

hellopanpan
October 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
This probably sounds like a really silly question, but how is healthy hair supposed to feel? For example, when I oil by hair and then CO my hair is so soft and smooth and soft and did I mention soft? But then the next day the ends are a little drier and my hair is a tangled mess, it doesn't feel anywhere near as soft anymore, and then each day without a wash it gets drier and drier. So my question I guess is how do you know if your hair is healthy? :)

Alex Lou
October 6th, 2011, 09:47 PM
It feels soft or oily and doesn't tangle easily.

spidermom
October 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I like when my hair feels smooth and silky, especially when I can take a pinch of hair and run my fingers all the way from scalp to ends and don't feel an area where the texture changes from smooth to roughened. When that happens, I know it's time to trim.

Soft I don't like so much. My hair probably feels softest when it's oily.

MissManda
October 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
My hair feels either plush soft and fluffy or silky and smooth when it is healthy and it does not tangle much. I know I've got split ends when I run my fingers through my hair and I get knots only on the ends of my hair. Keeping my hair healthy and reasonably split free has become easier ever since I realized this.

hellopanpan
October 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM
My hair is smoother on the top, then the bottom gets tangled pretty easily (but then again, I don't really brush it like I should) and the very ends are kind of dry. Not extremely dry, but not as soft and smooth as the rest of my hair. But I've looked, and I don't have split ends. BUT sometimes my ends will be bent at the end, or sometimes they'll have white dots on the strands, what does that mean?

I'm wondering if I should get a cut, nothing dramatic but just cut off some length. But I don't want to :(

Thank you for all of your help :)

luxepiggy
October 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM
In general, healthy hair should exhibit good tensile strength (moderate extension without breaking), flexibility (bending without breaking), torsional rigidity (twisting without breaking) and elasticity (returning to original shape after deformation). The cuticle should be compact and smooth, with minimal damage (missing and/or lifted scales), and of course there should be little evidence of split ends or breakage.

julierockhead
October 6th, 2011, 10:47 PM
...when I oil by hair and then CO my hair is so soft and smooth and soft and did I mention soft? But then the next day the ends are a little drier and my hair is a tangled mess, it doesn't feel anywhere near as soft anymore, and then each day without a wash it gets drier and drier. So my question I guess is how do you know if your hair is healthy? :)

Are you oiling your hair daily?

luxepiggy
October 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM
My hair is smoother on the top, then the bottom gets tangled pretty easily (but then again, I don't really brush it like I should) and the very ends are kind of dry. Not extremely dry, but not as soft and smooth as the rest of my hair. But I've looked, and I don't have split ends. BUT sometimes my ends will be bent at the end, or sometimes they'll have white dots on the strands, what does that mean?

I'm wondering if I should get a cut, nothing dramatic but just cut off some length. But I don't want to :(

Thank you for all of your help :)

White dots at the ends of strands indicate that the hair previously broke off at the point on the hair shaft. If you have a few here and there, you can try to S&D those hairs and see if that helps. If you're seeing numerous white dots though, it may be worthwhile to do a small trim to prevent damage from traveling further up the hair shaft from the points of breakage.

hellopanpan
October 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Are you oiling your hair daily?
No, I oil my hair probably...about once a week? Once or twice. Should I oil it more? Or less?

White dots at the ends of strands indicate that the hair previously broke off at the point on the hair shaft. If you have a few here and there, you can try to S&D those hairs and see if that helps. If you're seeing numerous white dots though, it may be worthwhile to do a small trim to prevent damage from traveling further up the hair shaft from the points of breakage.
Why didn't I think of that! I only get it every so often, but from now on when I do I'll S&D. Thank you!

julierockhead
October 6th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I think it helps to oil very lightly daily, if you are not washing.

hellopanpan
October 6th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Is it okay to oil daily with any type of oil? I use olive oil.

Also, I was wondering if you could answer one more thing for me? :) My hair when I pull it to the front is just below my underarms, so APL. But when I put my hair on my back, it's down to like the middle of my bra? So I was wondering, would my hair be APL or BSL? Thank you soo much! :inlove::blossom:

Madora
October 6th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Is it okay to oil daily with any type of oil? I use olive oil.

Also, I was wondering if you could answer one more thing for me? :) My hair when I pull it to the front is just below my underarms, so APL. But when I put my hair on my back, it's down to like the middle of my bra? So I was wondering, would my hair be APL or BSL? Thank you soo much! :inlove::blossom:

I would take it easy with the oiling. Every time you oil you're inviting more things floating in the air to stick to the oil, not to mention problems with buildup.

I oil very infrequently but brush every day. I've used coconut oil for the last 2 inches and have been happy with it.

MissManda
October 6th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I get the strange bent ends sometimes, too. Usually I just treat them like I would splits or white dots and snip them off. :)

On TLHC, we usually go by the length of your hair in the back, so if your hair is in the middle of your bra strap, you're a solid BSL.

hellopanpan
October 6th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I would take it easy with the oiling. Every time you oil you're inviting more things floating in the air to stick to the oil, not to mention problems with buildup.

I oil very infrequently but brush every day. I've used coconut oil for the last 2 inches and have been happy with it.
My scalp loves coconut oil but my ends get really crunchy. I think I need to get a good brush and comb, right now I'm using a regular comb from walmart that has seams and I know that's a nono!

I get the strange bent ends sometimes, too. Usually I just treat them like I would splits or white dots and snip them off. :)

On TLHC, we usually go by the length of your hair in the back, so if your hair is in the middle of your bra strap, you're a solid BSL.
That's a good idea! I'm going to start doing that and snipping off the bends, 'cause usually the bends end up breaking off anyway and making those dots.

I know BSL isn't *that* long, but I literally made a really high pitched "EEEE!" noise when I read that, haha. My SO just looked at me and went, "good hair news?" lol :cheese:

mora
October 6th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189) a picture of other things you can look for when you S&D your ends.

hellopanpan
October 6th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189) a picture of other things you can look for when you S&D your ends.
:O wow! I didn't even know there were so many things to look for! That really helps a lot, I thought S&D was just for regular splits. Thank you!

Btw, do you have to have actual hair scissors to cut it? If so, are the cheap hair scissors from CVS okay? :)

mora
October 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM
People seem to say it's best to use hair scissors but the cheap drugstore ones are fine. I used those at first, too. They seem to lose their sharpness a little bit faster my slightly more expensive ones but I still sometimes use the cheaper pair and just make sure to cut with the part closer to the hinge rather than the tip since that hinge part seems sharper.

thelittlestdoc
October 7th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I'm really confused about this as well. I have a mental picture of what healthy hair looks like, which I can achieve w/bad-for-hair methods, and it's completely different from what healthy hair feels like (soft, touchable, smooth, not greasy, etc.)

Any tips on getting these two to mesh?:confused:

hellopanpan
October 7th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I'm really confused about this as well. I have a mental picture of what healthy hair looks like, which I can achieve w/bad-for-hair methods, and it's completely different from what healthy hair feels like (soft, touchable, smooth, not greasy, etc.)

Do you mean achieving it by things like straightening, curling, etc? Hot tools?

luxepiggy
October 7th, 2011, 01:15 AM
:O wow! I didn't even know there were so many things to look for! That really helps a lot, I thought S&D was just for regular splits. Thank you!

Btw, do you have to have actual hair scissors to cut it? If so, are the cheap hair scissors from CVS okay? :)

Actual hair scissors, otherwise you may just end up initiating damage at the cutting point. Cheapo hair scissors are A-OK though, just make sure you never use them to cut anything except your hair (^(oo)^)v

hellopanpan
October 7th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Okay, I'm gonna get a new pair of hair only scissors. The ones I have, I use for everything, and they're literally falling apart :p

thelittlestdoc
October 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Yeah, whenever I style with hot tools (blowfry/straighten/curl) I think my hair looks great but it doesn't feel healthy. I've been laying off the heat styling and have cut down on number of washes, and although I love the way my hair feels now I miss the "finished" look of my old hair. :(

Avital88
October 7th, 2011, 01:22 AM
if hair is in overal health it doesnt tangle in one day,i remember when i had good ends my hair didnt tangle as fast as now.Well at least we got something to work on..:)

hellopanpan
October 7th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Yeah, whenever I style with hot tools (blowfry/straighten/curl) I think my hair looks great but it doesn't feel healthy. I've been laying off the heat styling and have cut down on number of washes, and although I love the way my hair feels now I miss the "finished" look of my old hair. :(
I know EXACTLY how you feel! Do you usually straighten or curl? For curling there are so many non-heat waves to get really nice curls (even nicer than with an iron) and for straightening I think there's ways too but I'm not sure.

if hair is in overal health it doesnt tangle in one day,i remember when i had good ends my hair didnt tangle as fast as now.Well at least we got something to work on..:)
Do you have any tips on getting hair into healthy shape? I think I might need to get a trim but I don't want to :( It took me so long to finally get to BSL. But my hair gets tangled really easy, and I'm not sure if it's because of the health of my hair, or just because I don't brush it (I finger comb.)

luxepiggy
October 7th, 2011, 01:35 AM

Let me guess: your mental picture = sleek, smooth, shiny, frizz-free hair, which you can achieve with a flat/curling iron, right? ;)

The truth is, healthy hair often does look quite similar to your mental picture. However, here's what happens if you try to take a short-cut:

heat styling allows you to temporarily achieve the shiny- healthy-hair look by using high heat to force the hair cuticle into alignment, which approximates the look of the undamaged hair cuticle I mentioned in my first post
while it provides a temporary cosmetic fix, each round of heat styling degrades the cuticular structure
as the cuticular structure degrades, it becomes rough & cracked, leading to splits, breakage and increased tangling; furthermore, the rough cuticles of adjacent hairs rub and catch on one another, causing even more mechanical damage
over time, hair grows increasingly unmanageable and dull, leading to a downward spiral of continued heat styling in an attempt to mask the cumulative damage caused by previous heat styling

With patience and experimentation, you should be able to find a hair care routine that keeps your hair in truly healthy condition. If some of your current length is damaged due to past styling habits, you may need to wait for that portion to grow out first.

luxepiggy
October 7th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I know EXACTLY how you feel! Do you usually straighten or curl? For curling there are so many non-heat waves to get really nice curls (even nicer than with an iron) and for straightening I think there's ways too but I'm not sure.

Do you have any tips on getting hair into healthy shape? I think I might need to get a trim but I don't want to :( It took me so long to finally get to BSL. But my hair gets tangled really easy, and I'm not sure if it's because of the health of my hair, or just because I don't brush it (I finger comb.)

Hey, I'm a finger comber too! :hifive:

I haven't owned a brush or a comb in years :D What's your current routine like? It seems like we have sort of similar hair types, and I have very few problems with tangling, so maybe I can help you out (^(oo)^)v

hellopanpan
October 7th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Woohoo, finger combers united! :D

That would be amazing if you could help me, you're hair is soooo beautiful! I think we may actually have the same hair type, I wasn't 100% sure on how to classify my hair. But right now all I do is CO wash with V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze. I put Aussie Sun Touched Shine detangling spray on it, and that's it. I do a olive oil soak once a week also :)

luxepiggy
October 7th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Woohoo, finger combers united! :D

That would be amazing if you could help me, you're hair is soooo beautiful! I think we may actually have the same hair type, I wasn't 100% sure on how to classify my hair. But right now all I do is CO wash with V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze. I put Aussie Sun Touched Shine detangling spray on it, and that's it. I do a olive oil soak once a week also :)

Better and better - I'm a CO-washer too :D I'm also pleased to see that you're OK with 'cones, otherwise I'd be completely useless to you, as I'm a total 'cone junkie (^(oo)^)v
OK! Ready for some piggy tips? Better grab some popcorn and a drink, this could be a bit lengthy http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/smilies/popcorn.gif

S&D
So, first things first - after rereading your earlier posts, I don't think you need to trim at this time if you don't want to. I would advise purchasing a pair of hair shears to S&D any white dots and bent ends you currently have. Then continue to S&D regularly while implementing some of the other suggestions below, and reassess in a couple of months. If your tangling has not improved by that point, then consider a small trim.

CO-washing
Strange as it may sound, it's quite apparent to me that you're seriously underconditioning your hair. The tangling and dry ends are a direct result. I highly recommend switching to a different conditioner for CO-washing; I use L'Oréal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Medium to Long Hair That's Damaged (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=172527&catid=183410&aid=337953&aparam=l_oreal_vive_pro_nutri_g&CAWELAID=84867402), and I think it would be a good choice for you as well.

Basically, the VO5 conditioner you're currently using probably does a fine job of cleaning your hair, but it's got very little by way of actual conditioning ingredients. I'm pretty sure if I were on your routine, my hair would be a big tangled mess :p The L'Oréal conditioner contains amodimethicone, which is ideal for CO-washing because it provides targeted conditioning to damaged areas of the hair, yet is very resistant to building up. Since transitioning to a 100% CO washing routine, amodimethicone is the only silicone I like to see in my rinse-off conditioner.

Leave-In / Post Wash
Here's where we can really address the "healthy look" vs "healthy feel" conundrum! I'm confident that if you switch the conditioner you use for CO-washing, you'll find you no longer need to use a leave-in. This opens up the opportunity to add some shine enhancement to your routine!

This is my favourite part :cheese:

I swear by Aquage Beyond Shine (http://www.drugstore.com/aquage-beyond-shine/qxp344541?catid=183510&fromsrch=aquage+beyond+shine). It adds shine, increases softness and minimizes tangles without weighing down the hair or making it look greasy. I apply it all over my damp hair after washing, and again just on the ends each morning.

Bedtime
A silk pillowcase (make sure it's real silk, not polyester satin) really cuts down on both tangles and dry ends for me. Cheap, easy and highly effective b(^(oo)^)d

Lianna
October 8th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I'd like only to disagree with tangling and frizz, which are texture traits, not always damage. My hair doesn't tangle much but frizzes naturally, same with many wavies and curlies, even some 1b/1c. MY DBF's hair is fine and tangles a lot (it's virgin and haven't ever seen a heat tool...so it's very healthy).

hellopanpan
October 8th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Better and better - I'm a CO-washer too :D I'm also pleased to see that you're OK with 'cones, otherwise I'd be completely useless to you, as I'm a total 'cone junkie (^(oo)^)v
OK! Ready for some piggy tips? Better grab some popcorn and a drink, this could be a bit lengthy http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/smilies/popcorn.gif

S&D
So, first things first - after rereading your earlier posts, I don't think you need to trim at this time if you don't want to. I would advise purchasing a pair of hair shears to S&D any white dots and bent ends you currently have. Then continue to S&D regularly while implementing some of the other suggestions below, and reassess in a couple of months. If your tangling has not improved by that point, then consider a small trim.

CO-washing
Strange as it may sound, it's quite apparent to me that you're seriously underconditioning your hair. The tangling and dry ends are a direct result. I highly recommend switching to a different conditioner for CO-washing; I use L'Oréal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Medium to Long Hair That's Damaged (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=172527&catid=183410&aid=337953&aparam=l_oreal_vive_pro_nutri_g&CAWELAID=84867402), and I think it would be a good choice for you as well.

Basically, the VO5 conditioner you're currently using probably does a fine job of cleaning your hair, but it's got very little by way of actual conditioning ingredients. I'm pretty sure if I were on your routine, my hair would be a big tangled mess :p The L'Oréal conditioner contains amodimethicone, which is ideal for CO-washing because it provides targeted conditioning to damaged areas of the hair, yet is very resistant to building up. Since transitioning to a 100% CO washing routine, amodimethicone is the only silicone I like to see in my rinse-off conditioner.

Leave-In / Post Wash
Here's where we can really address the "healthy look" vs "healthy feel" conundrum! I'm confident that if you switch the conditioner you use for CO-washing, you'll find you no longer need to use a leave-in. This opens up the opportunity to add some shine enhancement to your routine!

This is my favourite part :cheese:

I swear by Aquage Beyond Shine (http://www.drugstore.com/aquage-beyond-shine/qxp344541?catid=183510&fromsrch=aquage+beyond+shine). It adds shine, increases softness and minimizes tangles without weighing down the hair or making it look greasy. I apply it all over my damp hair after washing, and again just on the ends each morning.

Bedtime
A silk pillowcase (make sure it's real silk, not polyester satin) really cuts down on both tangles and dry ends for me. Cheap, easy and highly effective b(^(oo)^)d
Is it too soon to say I love you? :p I just bought some more V05 conditioner, but I'm gonna go return it and get the Loreal one! After reading what you said I was thinking about it, and I realized that yeah my hair feels clean after I wash it, but it doesn't feel soft and smooth like it has when I've used other conditioners. How much conditioner do you use when you CO? I use a lot (like half the bottle, haha) and I don't know if that's too much.

The Aqualage Beyond Shine sounds amazing! I'm gonna try and pick that up also! And a better pair of hair shears and a new pillow case :) I'm excited! I have super tightly crossed fingers for soft tangle free hair! Especially after today, I oiled and then washed, and the ends of my hair are still tangling together really badly. To the point where a lot of the hair at the nape of my neck is like 2" long because it broke off :(

QueenOfTheSkye
October 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I know what my hair feels like, and I don't do anything egregious to it so I suppose it must be healthy; it's a bit like yours: soft. My friends will put their hands on my head for whatever reason and say 'Oh my gosh! Your hair is so soft!' or something like that.

Orangerthanred
October 8th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Overall, healthy hair won't feel dry or brittle. It won't fall out everytime you run your hands through it.

It will be soft, and it might be silky/moveable depending on hair type.

maborosi
October 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'd like only to disagree with tangling and frizz, which are texture traits, not always damage. My hair doesn't tangle much but frizzes naturally, same with many wavies and curlies, even some 1b/1c. MY DBF's hair is fine and tangles a lot (it's virgin and haven't ever seen a heat tool...so it's very healthy).

Agreed. My hair tangles in the back, and apparently has ever since I was a very little kid. My hair is pretty much 1b all around, but there's this one persistent little section on the nape of my neck that wants to curl like my dad's hair, lol. Tangles galore.

When it gets longer, you'll want to keep it out of the wind, is one of the biggest pieces of advice. And if you're in the wind, braid it. I made the mistake of just putting it in a pony today and going out to the park. Oops. Didn't know it was going to be that windy, lol.

~maborosi~

hellopanpan
October 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Agreed. My hair tangles in the back, and apparently has ever since I was a very little kid. My hair is pretty much 1b all around, but there's this one persistent little section on the nape of my neck that wants to curl like my dad's hair, lol. Tangles galore.

When it gets longer, you'll want to keep it out of the wind, is one of the biggest pieces of advice. And if you're in the wind, braid it. I made the mistake of just putting it in a pony today and going out to the park. Oops. Didn't know it was going to be that windy, lol.

~maborosi~
My hair is pretty much the same way! Right at the nape of my neck, no matter what, I end up with MASSIVE tangles! Like one huge mess. A lot of my hair in that area is broken and only a few inches because of the breakage :(

mora
October 8th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Bedtime
Did you find that polyester satin pillowcases didn't work for you? I've been using those but haven't noticed less dryness. I picked up a silk shirt for a few dollars at the thrift store to try but haven't cleaned or pillowcased it yet. If it could bring me any closer to hair like yours, though, I might.

luxepiggy
October 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Is it too soon to say I love you? :p I just bought some more V05 conditioner, but I'm gonna go return it and get the Loreal one! After reading what you said I was thinking about it, and I realized that yeah my hair feels clean after I wash it, but it doesn't feel soft and smooth like it has when I've used other conditioners. How much conditioner do you use when you CO? I use a lot (like half the bottle, haha) and I don't know if that's too much.

The Aqualage Beyond Shine sounds amazing! I'm gonna try and pick that up also! And a better pair of hair shears and a new pillow case :) I'm excited! I have super tightly crossed fingers for soft tangle free hair! Especially after today, I oiled and then washed, and the ends of my hair are still tangling together really badly. To the point where a lot of the hair at the nape of my neck is like 2" long because it broke off :(

Yey! I'm confident you'll see visible improvement very quickly with the new conditioner (^(oo)^)v

Since I do a 2-step CO-wash beginning with dry hair, the amount of conditioner we use won't be directly comparable, but I typically use about 1/5 bottle of conditioner, diluted with water, per wash.

luxepiggy
October 10th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Did you find that polyester satin pillowcases didn't work for you? I've been using those but haven't noticed less dryness. I picked up a silk shirt for a few dollars at the thrift store to try but haven't cleaned or pillowcased it yet. If it could bring me any closer to hair like yours, though, I might.

Polyester satin gives me major static issues (>(oo)<)`

luxepiggy
October 10th, 2011, 04:55 PM
My hair is pretty much the same way! Right at the nape of my neck, no matter what, I end up with MASSIVE tangles! Like one huge mess. A lot of my hair in that area is broken and only a few inches because of the breakage :(

Watch the angle of your showerhead, especially if you have pretty high water pressure. I used to always have a tangle-prone patch at the back of my head, until I realised that my shower spray was hitting right at that spot and pushing all the hairs in different directions. Now I try to point the spray as straight down as possible and stand beneath it, so the flow of the water aligns with the direction of hair growth, and voil&#224;! No more tangly patch. It was like magic (^(oo)^)/*

jacqueline101
October 10th, 2011, 05:12 PM
It soft well moisturized. It doesn't tangle or feel rough. It doesn't require a lot of products to hold a style or smoothing aides. Its always nice shiny and no split ends velvety smooth.

hellopanpan
October 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Yey! I'm confident you'll see visible improvement very quickly with the new conditioner (^(oo)^)v

Since I do a 2-step CO-wash beginning with dry hair, the amount of conditioner we use won't be directly comparable, but I typically use about 1/5 bottle of conditioner, diluted with water, per wash.
I wasn't able to find the one for damaged hair, do you think the one for Normal to Fine hair would be okay? I made my boyfriend go to three different stores looking for it haha. ;) I tried it last night and it was pretty good (: I like it a lot more than my regular one. Hopefully I can find the one for damaged hair!

Watch the angle of your showerhead, especially if you have pretty high water pressure. I used to always have a tangle-prone patch at the back of my head, until I realised that my shower spray was hitting right at that spot and pushing all the hairs in different directions. Now I try to point the spray as straight down as possible and stand beneath it, so the flow of the water aligns with the direction of hair growth, and voilà! No more tangly patch. It was like magic (^(oo)^)/*
Is it better to wash with a lower water pressure? I use a pretty hard pressure, but I can adjust it. I'm gonna point it straight down though and stand under it, 'cause I have noticed also that when I rinse out my hair it gets all tangled again!

thelittlestdoc
October 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks so much, LuxePiggy. I’ve always been pretty gentle on my hair and avoided heat styling (more than most LHCers but WAY less than the general population) so it’s in decent shape. I’m still finding a routine/products that work for me, so I’ll try and be patient and see how it goes. Currently in the process of trying COwashing and seeing some nice results so far.
Hellopanpan, when I styled my hair, I usually air dried and then used a spiraling wand (no clamp, shaped like a skinny cone). I’m not a big fan of the stick-straight look, which is good because there’s no healthy way to achieve that with my 2a hair :) My main problem is that I’m growing out blunt bangs, and on the right side of my head they dry so goofy about half of the time—the blowfryer can be very tempting when it’s such a small area…

mora
October 10th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Polyester satin gives me major static issues (>(oo)<)`
Oh, that does sound familiar. Thanks. Off to dress my pillow in the silk shirt, now...

hellopanpan
October 10th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks so much, LuxePiggy. I’ve always been pretty gentle on my hair and avoided heat styling (more than most LHCers but WAY less than the general population) so it’s in decent shape. I’m still finding a routine/products that work for me, so I’ll try and be patient and see how it goes. Currently in the process of trying COwashing and seeing some nice results so far.
Hellopanpan, when I styled my hair, I usually air dried and then used a spiraling wand (no clamp, shaped like a skinny cone). I’m not a big fan of the stick-straight look, which is good because there’s no healthy way to achieve that with my 2a hair :) My main problem is that I’m growing out blunt bangs, and on the right side of my head they dry so goofy about half of the time—the blowfryer can be very tempting when it’s such a small area…
I love the look of curly hair! I miss my curling iron :( My bangs sometimes HAVE to be blowdried or they dry really weird. So I just use it on my bangs...oops! :p

luxepiggy
October 11th, 2011, 07:36 AM
My main problem is that I’m growing out blunt bangs, and on the right side of my head they dry so goofy about half of the time—the blowfryer can be very tempting when it’s such a small area…

I love the look of curly hair! I miss my curling iron :( My bangs sometimes HAVE to be blowdried or they dry really weird. So I just use it on my bangs...oops! :p

I confess, I hate the way my hair looks air-dried, so I blow dry every time I wash - as long as I keep the temperature on "cool" and the speed on "low" my hair doesn't mind (^(oo)^)v

Yes, I know - bad pig, bad pig :p
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/4heo121.gif

luxepiggy
October 11th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I wasn't able to find the one for damaged hair, do you think the one for Normal to Fine hair would be okay? I made my boyfriend go to three different stores looking for it haha. ;) I tried it last night and it was pretty good (: I like it a lot more than my regular one. Hopefully I can find the one for damaged hair!

Is it better to wash with a lower water pressure? I use a pretty hard pressure, but I can adjust it. I'm gonna point it straight down though and stand under it, 'cause I have noticed also that when I rinse out my hair it gets all tangled again!

The conditioner for normal to fine hair should work as well. Generally I find lower pressure does seem to be a bit gentler on the hair, but the key is really to have the water flowing in the same direction as your hair.

hellopanpan
October 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I confess, I hate the way my hair looks air-dried, so I blow dry every time I wash - as long as I keep the temperature on "cool" and the speed on "low" my hair doesn't mind (^(oo)^)v

Yes, I know - bad pig, bad pig :p
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/4heo121.gif
^^^ CUUTTTTEEEE! :D :D :D

I love the conditioner! :D I washed my hair with it and then when it dried it was still a little dry at the ends so I put a little Organix Morrocan Argan Oil and WOWZERS! My DBF was even like "ooooo your hair is so soffttttt!" :D I also noticed it's a lot more lively looking and shiny instead of really dull. :cheese: Also, it's been two days since I've used it and normally my hair would be getting pretty tangled and oily. It's a little tangled at the ends (My individual hairs just knot around themselves, I think I need to S&D?) but there's no oily mess to be seen!

Thank you for the recommendation! :pegasus::heartbeat

heidi w.
October 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
This probably sounds like a really silly question, but how is healthy hair supposed to feel? For example, when I oil by hair and then CO my hair is so soft and smooth and soft and did I mention soft? But then the next day the ends are a little drier and my hair is a tangled mess, it doesn't feel anywhere near as soft anymore, and then each day without a wash it gets drier and drier. So my question I guess is how do you know if your hair is healthy? :)

I believe healthy hair has minimal amounts of damage, mostly focused in the last inch or so of hair length. It's soft and pliable, kind of curvy in its 'bending' -- no right angles, for example.

I also believe that not all conditioners are equal and that if you have to choose, spend the most you can on a good conditioner over shampoo.

I also believe that max, a quality conditioner breaks down after around 2 weeks. Lesser quality conditioners may break down even faster.

I wonder that you're conditioning well enough. That is is the uptake of conditioner working? For the best benefit, water temp needs to be fairly warm to open the outer cuticle layer so that the conditioner can reach and 'bond' with the inner cortex of hair, as conditioner is designed to do. Oiling is for treating the hair topically; not at the cortex, for example.

heidi w.