PDA

View Full Version : dry ends?

longcurlygirl<3
October 6th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I am having dry ends for no reason, just did a DT with jessicurl weekly deeptreatment. My hair is drying and I had used shea moisture curling enhancing smoothie thinking it might work. I feel it made my hair drier? And the curls ugly. :( any advice on recouping my ends? I de tangled really bad the other day because I was tired and needed to wash my hair :( Should I trim? TIA!

MinderMutsig
October 6th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I would try other things first, like clarifying or chelating. A lot of stuff can make your hair feel like something is terribly wrong when it really isn't.

gthlvrmx
October 6th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Mmm sounds to me it might be build up. Don't trim right away. What i do is first check the ingredients of what i use and see if something might be building up or causing moisture to be blocked. Might be in the ingredients.
Clarify if you have product buildup, club soda if you have mineral build up(hard water, minerals in your products).

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I would definitely say try a clarifying shampoo first to see if that helps. My hair feels really dry if I use certain protein laden products. Perhaps your hair doesn't like some of the ingredients in the product you put in it.

Ravenwind
October 6th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I've been battling the same problem for months now :( frustrating isn't it? What has helped for me is to make my hair a little damp and leave it in a bun. That has helped smooth down my hair and make it softer and smoother and feel more moisturized. A clarifying shampoo is good too, and use a deep conditioner afterwards. That did WONDERS for my hair :) It was left very smooth, soft, and shiny. However (for me) repeated use of the clarifying shampoo made my hair feel drier, so I have to use it less often. I also avoid putting too much product in my hair. I noticed that if I just leave it alone, it feels fine.

Hope that helps :)

Deborah
October 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Plain Shea Nut Butter is wonderful for dry ends. You just stroke a very little bit on the last six inches of hair, while it is still damp from being washed. It works great!

Anje
October 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Consider buildup as a possibility and check the treatment ingredient labels for protein. You might have a bit too much of that (always causes tangles for me).

elfgirl
October 6th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I've had a similar problem (the ends of my hair have been dry and I can't figure out why). I've been using coconut oil daily. It's made a big difference, and I'm starting to think that there might be hope for my ends! (the bottom inch that's been looking dry).

Here's my routine, feel free to adapt or do whatever works for you:
I wash it every other day with a regular shampoo for natural and oily hair (once this runs out I'm going to try CO, then the baking soda method). I squeeze out the excess water out with a towel, then comb my hair with a wooden comb. After my hair is partially air dried, I take a TINY amount of coconut oil (about a fingernail's worth in size), warm it up in my hands, and then apply it gently to the ends of my hair, and let it sit. My hair continues to air dry, and is eventually all dry.

I then apply coconut oil to the ends the next day, and then repeat the above process.

I hope this helps you out! If you have any other questions, please feel free to drop me a line.

Best of luck! :)

JessL
October 6th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Coconut oil works for me too. Just a couple drops or the amount I scrape off iwith one fingernail has an amazing effect on my ends.

longcurlygirl<3
October 8th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Plain Shea Nut Butter is wonderful for dry ends. You just stroke a very little bit on the last six inches of hair, while it is still damp from being washed. It works great!

Hmmm, I did try this and it worked great? My hair is better because I did not use the sea moisture smoothie? Maybe it was the salt it has? I do not know BUT I feel I need a trim my hair is tangling so badly :( But I don't want to lose length. Plus my hair stylists likes to cut it dampish. Any ideas HOW can cut is myself?:o thanks!

longcurlygirl<3
October 8th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I would definitely say try a clarifying shampoo first to see if that helps. My hair feels really dry if I use certain protein laden products. Perhaps your hair doesn't like some of the ingredients in the product you put in it.

What kind of clarfying shampoo do you all perfer?

archel
October 8th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I like Giovanni 50:50 Hydrating/Clarifying shampoo (it's more clarifying than hydrating, believe me).