PDA

View Full Version : Shed Weight

MoonLover
October 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM
So I recently got a food scale to measure my food and of course I started to measure random things too :p

I have two clumps of shed hair: one from about May 2010 to about May 2011 and one from May 2011 to now.

I measured both of them and my recent shed worries seem to be true: last year was a total of 12 grams, which would be about one gram a month. The last five months shed ball is 7 grams, 1.4 grams per month. I know I should probably take into account the fact that my hair has gotten longer so each hair weighs more and I do henna now but still- how much could those things really add? I had noticed a larger than normal shed when I stopped my Nioxin vitamins and it seems it's getting better now that I started again but this makes me seem unsure.

And now I know the LHC has officially made me hair crazy! I mean really, who weighs their hair?!

KwaveT
October 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM
If you are growing your hair it would only make sense if it weighed more. The length of your is hair is longer so each shed hair will weigh more as a result just as your said. I would not be too worried on that front. There are plenty of sheds that you never account for since they fall on their own as you go about your day.

MoonLover
October 6th, 2011, 09:35 PM
If you are growing your hair it would only make sense if it weighed more. The length of your is hair is longer so each shed hair will weigh more as a result just as your said. I would not be too worried on that front. There are plenty of sheds that you never account for since they fall on their own as you go about your day.

Actually, since my hair is curly the shed hairs usually just stay there until I detangle, braid, or otherwise mess with my hair.

And thinking about shed hairs that I've missed worries me more, not less :( How much more could there be?

MinderMutsig
October 7th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I second the comment about longer hair weighing more. I also think you should take into account whether you have growth spurts or not. I know I get a major shed every spring, stall during summer and grow most of my hair during fall/early winter. If I were to weigh my shed hairs from January to January and compare that to the weight of the sheds from January to May I would probably get worried about excessive shedding if I hadn't known the phases my hair goes through.

I agree it's something to keep an eye on but I wouldn't be too worried right away unless you know for a fact that your hair doesn't do something similar.