PDA

View Full Version : I'm missing something! Help please!

Maverick494
October 6th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone,

This may seem like a weird question, but I am missing something from my hair routine. Now, I have a lot of hair, but the hairs itself are thin. I also have a lot of wispy hairs (had a big shed last year and it's all been growing back). Now, when I wash and condition my hair, rinse it and then rinse it again with cold water and let it air-dry, it usually looks pretty good. I finger comb it and then brush it and go about my day. It looks good when I leave the house. Some wind and 5 minutes later, I look like tarzan.

I have to keep brushing it several times throughout the day to keep it looking nice instead of scraggly. A lot of brushing means more (unnecessary) damage. I would really like to be able to gain control over my hair. I want to have it look presentable for atleast a short while. Can anyone recommend anything? I've heard about rinses to 'seal' the hair, but I'm skeptical.

Thanks in advance for reading and answering!

Nini
October 6th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Updo's, or some kind of silicone leave-in.

tigereye
October 6th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Yep have to say, updo's were my first reaction as well. if you have to leave it down, maybe some kind of leave in would weigh your fine hair down a bit and stop it blowing into a frenzy with a little wind.

blondie9912
October 6th, 2011, 02:39 PM
A few drops of coconut or jojoba oil applied to dry hair?

SpinDance
October 6th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Updo's, as Nini said. Confining hair keeps it out of trouble and means you don't have to keep messing with it and it is protected from so many of the things that cause damage. Perhaps a quick bun while you're out in the wind, then take it back down when you're someplace inside?

You might also consider switching to a wide tooth comb instead of a brush

krissykins
October 6th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Updos! Updos updos updos. And some oil might be a good addition as well :D

Madora
October 6th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Updos. They protect your delicate ends, are versatile, and protected ends means less time detangling, always a big plus in my book.

Annibelle
October 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Same has always happened to me... :/ I've given up on ever wearing my hair down. I stopped a few years ago. I've tried wearing my hair down a few times since, but it's no use. Tarzan, as you call it. :p So... updos it is. Too bad I can't do many yet...

spidermom
October 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Up-styles, braids.

My hair left down goes messy and tangly within minutes, especially if you add a bit of wind. I keep it up or braided unless I have time to pay attention to it and enjoy it.

Fillette
October 6th, 2011, 04:20 PM
If you want to wear your hair down, I would recommend a little bit of gel. I use clear, water-soluble gel to weigh my hair down. You don't need a lot of it. Start with a little bit and add more as needed. Too much gel usually takes away the volume of my hair and makes it look too thin.

After letting the gel dry for a minute or so, I "scrunch out the crunch" so that my hair does not look hard. For straight hair, I suggest running your hands over it after the gel dries, or grabbing it as you would for a pony tail and twisting it gently to break the crunch.

Maverick494
October 6th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far! :) I should have clarified: I meant for wearing my hair down. I have it up most of the time, but sometimes I just get tired of that.

The reason I started growing long hair was with wearing long hair down as a goal. I mean, what good is it to have long hair if you can't wear it down without it turning into a tangled frizzy mess within 5 minutes? (Just my personal opinion: I'm not that good at intricate updos so it gets boring for me quite quickly) I've spotted people wearing their hair down and keep it looking good even after a while. I wondered if such things would be achievable for me too.

coffinhert
October 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM
What color is your hair? You might consider cassia as a conditioner treatment. It adds a bit of weight to the hair and the color is temporary yellow which only shows on blonde/white hair.

Rybe
October 6th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I wish I had some answers for you! But I have the same problem. And curse you, Coffin, for being a cassia enabler, I was just thinking about trying it and had just talked myself out of it...but now...

FrozenBritannia
October 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Tarzan.. Thats a good way of putting it actually! My hair does that too. I kind of look like I've been electrocuted sometimes. I'm hoping extending my washes will cure the problem.

Vanille_
October 6th, 2011, 09:26 PM
You know what irks me? My favorite show is Vampire Diaries. Seeing Elena's beautiful straight hair NEVER move. I know there's no way that would happen in real life. But sometimes I just watch her and think about how awesome it would be to walk out the door in the morning and have it look like it hasn't moved a bit when I come home.

My hair does the same thing if I leave it down unless I flat iron it, which of course I don't do anymore. So I look forward to seeing some more advice!

I agree with you about wondering about the point of having long hair if you put it up all the time. My hair was waist level and I ALWAYS put it up. Partially because I worked at a restaurant and it became habit. Finally I said to hell with it. If I'm never going to show it off, I might as well chop it off.

I hope I don't make the same mistake this time around. Hoping to get it healthy and show it off :)

thelittlestdoc
October 7th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I definitely agree with updos. Personally, I'm new to treating my hair nicely so I've been sticking mainly to braids as a way to ease into more complicated hairstyles. :D

Avital88
October 7th, 2011, 01:29 AM
coconut oil and put it up or a braid. with this length you have now its all about protection,dont let the wind play with it and only brush max once a day.if you braid it everyday ,you dont even have to brush it daily,try it a month and you will notice a big difference.

Maverick494
October 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM
coconut oil and put it up or a braid. with this length you have now its all about protection,dont let the wind play with it and only brush max once a day.if you braid it everyday ,you dont even have to brush it daily,try it a month and you will notice a big difference.

Thanks for the suggestion, Avital! I will try it.

What color is your hair? You might consider cassia as a conditioner treatment. It adds a bit of weight to the hair and the color is temporary yellow which only shows on blonde/white hair.
My hair is lightbrown. I have tried cassia, but I don't get many results from it. I get my cassia from a store recommended by users from this site, so I know the quality is good. What kind of mix do you use/recommend, coffinhert?

You know what irks me? My favorite show is Vampire Diaries. Seeing Elena's beautiful straight hair NEVER move. I know there's no way that would happen in real life. But sometimes I just watch her and think about how awesome it would be to walk out the door in the morning and have it look like it hasn't moved a bit when I come home.

I watch that show too and though in the back of my mind I know that between scenes they redo her hair and makeup it still makes me envious. Also, I have this girl at my school who has WL hair as well and hers just keeps looking good throughout the day. I don't know if it's hair texture or what.

I should note that hers is all virgin, whilst my locks have been heavily processed in the past. I've been growing out my colour for 3 months now after having a tint-back done. (Luckily for me the hairdresser got the colour spot on because you can't tell where the dye begins.)

knoxkatie
October 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I also have fine hair, but I have more curl than you. For me, when I stopped combing after the shower my hair started behaving a lot better. It's hard to know how to put it, but it will stay together in defined locks rather than becoming a fuzz bush.

Like some other people have said, you could try some different products to scrunch in. Some people have had good luck with aloe, but my hair hates it. I scrunch in a small amount protein treatment and conditioner to my ends while it's still wet.

If there is even a slight wind I would put it up or in a braid like Avital said. Good luck!