PDA

View Full Version : water and hair growth rate

jojo
July 3rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I am wondering how many of you make an effort to drink water each day. I must admit I drink hardly any water but I am going to start.

Please state;

1) how many pints of water you drink a day
2) what your average growth rate is

Ive included a poll.

Nat242
July 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
I try to drink between 1.5L and 2L of water a day. I suppose that's between 3 and 4 pints? Water was always our main beverage growing up, so it's just habit for me. Days when I drink less than 1.5L I don't feel as sharp, I get headaches, and my skin looks worse.

I've never measured my growth rate, but at the rate my roots grow in after henna, I'd say it's pretty average, certainly not fast.

-- Natalie

julya
July 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
I tend to drink a lot of water, as I just seem to be a thirsty person. I always have been. I drink between 2 and 3 liters of water on an average day and my average growth rate over the past few years has been .6" per month

Angellen
July 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I have never been a big drinker, period. I try to drink more, but its honestly difficult for me to do so. I drink mostly juices or sweetened teas, though, and sometimes home-brewed hot teas or the occasional soda. Mostly cranberry or orange juice, though, and still probably less than I should be drinking.

When I do drink water, it's almost always with a meal and frequently not at home. I'm just not a big water person.

As far as hair growth goes, though, I'm a fairly steady .75". I never really thought that drinking more would produce more in terms of growth, but its an interesting idea. :flower:

paper
July 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM
I hardly drink water. I drink coffee and diet soda mostly. Glass of milk for supper. I get half inch of growth a month.

jojo
July 3rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Yes thats me paper, in fact the only water I drink is to swallow my vit and kelp pills in the morning, but starting today I am going to try and drink 2 litres.

this is probably why i get horrendous headaches, I am a dried up prune!

CherryPlum
July 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I drink about 2 litres a day now and my growth is 1 cm per month on average, the same as when I hardly drank at all.
On the other hand, I have seen many benefits from drinking more, apart from hair growth.

janaana
July 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I know I don't drink as much water as I should when I'm at work although I drink plenty at home. My hair does grow quickly but I often think it might improve the quality of it if I were better hydrated.

DotDotDot
July 4th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I drink a lot of water (about 12-13 glasses a day) and I have average growth. When I was little and I drank milk all the time, I had about an inch a month. I don't think there's a correlation, though... I think that once my hair reaches a certain length, it slows down.

vidgrl007
July 4th, 2008, 12:10 PM
om,I drink so much water sometimes I think im going to float away lol.I get 1/2 inch per mth.I did see 1in in dec-apr then my hair feels like its not growing.

Hurray4Henna
July 4th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I drink approx 2-3 litres a day excluding the weekends--I drink less.
I LOVE water, warm, hot, cold, whatever. H2O is my friend and we love each other lol.
I drink it when I am hot, I drink it when I am cold, I drink it when I feel like crap, I drink it when I am happy and I drink A LOT when I am bored.

In regards to hair growth (I need to take some better pics)...not sure, you tell me
Jan 08 (after my cut--head tilted to the right so hair looks longer)
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/Hurray4Henna/hair/newdo3.jpg
May 08 (head tilted forward so my hair looks shorter)
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t166/Hurray4Henna/hair/Progress3-May2008.jpgLike I said not great "length" shots, but just keep in mind :) Maybe this weekend I can get some "better" shots.

spidermom
July 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I haven't been consistent in tracking hair growth, but I've made a concerted effort to drink more water in recent months, and my hair seems to be growing faster than it ever has. I don't know if there's a correlation or not. I would think that a well hydrated organism will function better on all levels than a dehydrated one.

amberdakota
July 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I'm a big time water drinker (not sure how much exactly, but a lot), but I don't know that it has changed my hair growth rate much.

Oskimosa
July 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I guess 1/2 inch a month is average, right?

I drink between 7 and 11 glasses of water a day. Thats like 4-5 pints, 2-3 liters. I never really tracked hair growth until recently, but I always guessed on between half an inch and an inch per month. Lately I have seen 1/3" per month, but who knows if that is consistent on a month-to-month basis. So I said above average growth... I hope that's right.

cassie_g
July 5th, 2008, 06:25 AM
I drink hardly any water but I seem to average just over a half inch each month.

DecafJane
July 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I don't drink much "water" specifically, but get lots of it through other drinks and the food I eat. :)

Ciel
July 6th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I'm so bad at drinking water but plan on changing that soon. My hair grows about 1/2 an inch per month/ I wonder if I start drinking more water will it grow faster?

Cinnamon.locks
July 6th, 2008, 01:35 AM
I drink about 2 liters of lemonade or hubiscus a day, but i barely see the difference in growth. i can't drink plain water, tastes weird to me, like rust. so i make do with lemonade and hibiscus. i have a weird growth rate i guess, i am at about 27 inches now, 1B/F/II. ends are a bit dry even when i use a mix of natural oils every night, and they are thinner than the rest of my hair. some months it grows 1/2 an inch, others it grows a bit more and then there are months with no growth at all. i simply cannot understand my hair.

Phalaenopsis
July 6th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I drink at least 1.5 liter a day and no more growth here.

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I drink between 64 ounces and a gallon of water every day. According to onlineconversion.com, that's between 1.8 and 3.7 liters.

I have only measured my hair growth for one month, and I had 3/4" of growth that month. I suspect that sometimes I get more like an inch a month of growth. I have no idea whether it's related to water intake, because I've drunk a lot of water since I was 18 or so and someone told me it would help me lose weight, so I've never tracked growth without a lot of water intake. ;-p

orangeeyecrayon
July 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
i dont drink any water just fruit juices.
and i get about an inch a month

soprano
July 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I've had 2 kidney stones, so I drink water like there's no tomorrow. If I'm indoors all day I'll generally go through about 3 liters. On a hot day when I'm outdoors a lot I'll put back 1.5 gallons easily. I drink (and sweat) enough water that I've had to increase my electrolyte/mineral intake, or I get nasty headaches.

My hair has grown just under 1"/month ever since I can remember, independent of water intake. I voted for "no difference in growth rate."

RavennaNight
July 7th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I almost exclusively drink water. DH & I go through 2- 24 packs of water a week. Plus the bottles here and there from the deli by my work. Average growth though

Gothic Lolita
July 8th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I should vote two times. I know that I don't drink enough, but sometimes I really force myself into drinking for a few weeks, hoping that my drinking normalizes. Everytime I do I see more growth. That's why I try to drink more in general. And for my health, of course.

Exodus
July 8th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I voted "I drink water unil its coming out of my ears but still only get average growth" since it was the closest opinion.
Have always been drinking a lot of water, at least 2 litres per day. And have a maximum of 1 cm growth per month. So, lot of water, slow growth.

Siava
July 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Lots of water. Average growth.

Islandgrrl
July 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I voted that I drink water till it's coming out my ears and get average growth. I've always been a water drinker and I guess my growth is about average. I don't measure in inches and I don't really pay that much attention. If I thought more water would make a difference, I'd drink more....but I'd probably float away.

Tangles
July 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I drink quite a lot of water, not as much as some but around 7 small glasses a day I'd guess. I have slightly above average growth. Maybe 2/3 inch a month.

Finoriel
July 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
My hair always grew fast. When I used to drink not really much, only about 1l / day, it was as fast growing as it does now. Since some years I force myself to drink at least 2l per day. Hair growth wise it did not make a difference ( :wink: still growing fast) but my skin visibly improved and I get less headaches.
Only water, fruit or herb teas count into those 2l. Coffee, black tea, juice and milk goes additionally. I hardly ever drink soda, just do not like it.

Garnetgem
January 19th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Not noticed a difference in the rate it grows but the condition is much better not sure if its down to drinking water but anyhow water is good for a person,i only drink bottled water for the past 20 years.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 19th, 2016, 09:12 PM
I drink 3 to 4 glasses of water a day and also eat a fair amount of fruit and vegetables every day. (High water content foods). My hair grows a half inch a month, sometimes a little faster.

lapis_lazuli
January 19th, 2016, 09:26 PM
I try to drink as much water as possible a day... probably 10-15 glasses (8oz). My growth rate is all over the map so I couldn't tell you how much I get a month. :p But I firmly believe the more water you drink, the better it is for your hair (and health!) :)

Sarahlabyrinth
January 19th, 2016, 09:44 PM
I try to drink as much water as possible a day... probably 10-15 glasses (8oz). My growth rate is all over the map so I couldn't tell you how much I get a month. :p But I firmly believe the more water you drink, the better it is for your hair (and health!) :)

Er - not necessarily. Too much water can put a strain on kidneys and over dilute your blood. It is also possible to die from drinking too much water.

Belgrade Beauty
June 21st, 2020, 11:22 AM
I drink 1 glass a day, more if I'm physically active. My hair grows 1 inch per month.

Bri-Chan
June 21st, 2020, 04:02 PM
I drink about 1 liter a day. I grow 1 cm per month.

MusicalSpoons
June 22nd, 2020, 05:47 AM
"I drink water until its coming out of my ears but still only get average growth" - yup, 3-4L most days plus a litre or so of tea (without sugar!!); growth is about half an inch per month.

Edit: The amount I drink is nothing to do with hair or even a conscious decision; I just like water :shrug: I can quite happily drink 500ml in one breath, often even 750ml.

lapushka
June 22nd, 2020, 06:35 AM
About 1 to 2 liters a day lately and also lots of coffee in between.

jane_marie
June 22nd, 2020, 06:42 AM
I don't know that hair growth is linked to water... Some days I'll have water... if I'm working on my yard or go on a walk when it's hot outside. Mostly though I drink unsweetened almond milk, kombucha, coffee. tea and Keffir... until recently Mezcal and beer would have been on that list too.

My hair grows between .75 and 1.5 inches a month. :shrug:

TatsuOni
June 22nd, 2020, 10:15 AM
How much I drink depends on how warm it is, what I'm eating and how much I'm moving. I always have a bottle of water with me at work or while going somewhere and I drink when I'm thirsty. Probably somwhere between 1-2 litres a day.

My hair grows 1 cm a month.

0xalis
June 25th, 2020, 03:33 PM
I try to drink a lot of liquids because I used to be chronically dehydrated and it sucked. I'm sure it's good for my hair too, but the biggest difference in my hair growth rate for me has been hormones and prenatal vitamins. I'm pretty sure eating healthy is also a factor.

Fiorentina
December 22nd, 2022, 08:31 AM
I drink water unil its coming out of my ears but still only get average growth.