PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever sold you hair?

JuliaDancer
October 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I was trying to find a thread on this, but couldn't. Have any of you ever sold your hair? What was the experience like? I'm thinking of cutting my hair maybe back to BSL this winter or in the spring and then re-growing it, now that I've learned to take better care of my hair with LHC. If I'm going to chop it off, I could use the extra money. Mine is virgin, never dyed or permed or otherwise chemically processed, and heading from hip to tailbone length with partially grown out layers. I'm thinking to cut maybe 12"-15" depending on how long it is at the time I cut it. However, I wouldn't know what price range I should expect, or how to really go about doing it the right way. I know there are websites, but have any of you had good experiences with them?

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I've never sold my hair, but I've heard of plenty of people that have done that. I personally don't think it's worth it seeing as it takes a LONG time to grow hair long and people don't pay that much for the hair to make it worth while in my opinion.

JuliaDancer
October 6th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I'm not planning to cut it just for the money. More like I'm wanting to cut it back and start fresh growing it out again, so I figure I might as well make some money!

Rocket22
October 6th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I've never sold my hair but I sure have bought enough of it to almost be a pro!!! :) there used to be a great site and for some reason they took it down. It's not a bad thing to sell your hair. I know some people think buying hair is somehow a bad thing. But many many people want a change and would love to get a little extra cash as a bonus. I know there are other situations that are not as pleasant. I know of another site that sells hair also will have to look it up. Basically don't pre cut it. For some reason buyers want to see it on your head. (I personally didn't care) but you can get more money for it that way. I know there are a lot of weird people that frequent the hair cutting sites so yes you do have to be careful. Never ever cut before you get paypal money and there is more I will have to think of it.

Oh Virgin hair is worth more and if it's blond even more. Thickness also of course plays a part in price, texture, length etc..

Alex Lou
October 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
What are the prices? I know that European sells for more... but all I could figure was that it would only be $100 to $200. I have some in a box from when I cut from waist to pixie. It's over 12", virgin, and thick. I look at if if I forget what color my natural hair is. I had initially been interested in selling it, but thought that I might rather just have it. And then I got less poor and stopped thinking about it. It is an amazing dark-strawberry-blonde copper color, but I never thought the color mattered. Don't they dye it anyway?

WaitingSoLong
October 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Watching this thread with interest! I know hair extensions are a big thing but I always figured they were synthetic.

trolleypup
October 6th, 2011, 01:34 PM
The market for cut hair has two subsets...the non-f*t*sh people and the f*t*sh crowd. Value for one is weight/quality, value for the other is connection (pictures, before/after, videos, etc.)

My personal experience with wigmakers is that the raw material is relatively cheap, even for wig length hair (over 18"). I'll note that I have donated snips of trashed ends to the makeup department when they needed to do temporary scraggly facial hair (stick hair to glue, remove at end of performance).

JuliaDancer
October 6th, 2011, 01:36 PM
My hair is thick, but half European, half Asian. Although it does have Asian strength with European softness. Don't know if that matters... And it's very dark brown, so I don't have the color going for me. Even $200 would be nice, but I don't want to undersell if I could get more. I just don't know what prices really are. I checked one site and they seemed to be all over the map.

JuliaDancer
October 6th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Oh, and my hair is relatively thick, between ii and iii. People often comment on how thick my pigtail braids are. Maybe I can sell them separately and make more money! =)

Alex Lou
October 6th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Oh, and my hair is relatively thick, between ii and iii. People often comment on how thick my pigtail braids are. Maybe I can sell them separately and make more money! =) I was thinking the same thing. my hair is easily twice as thick as what a lotta people have, so why not sell it in two batches?

Rocket22
October 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM
My hair is thick, but half European, half Asian. Although it does have Asian strength with European softness. Don't know if that matters... And it's very dark brown, so I don't have the color going for me. Even $200 would be nice, but I don't want to undersell if I could get more. I just don't know what prices really are. I checked one site and they seemed to be all over the map.

Yes the dark Asian hair usually doesn't bring as much as the European. But having the European softness will help tons. Unfortunately from my experience to really get in the 200 dollars you need to be selling at least 15" or so. I personally didn't look at anything that was less then 20" and we know that is a lot of hair. The most I paid was 400 and that was virgin blond 20" hair. But again hair can go from anywhere from 100-1500.00 or so, guess it depends on who is looking and wanting to buy. I bought lots of hair just for my own personal extensions. I would shop and try and find the best deals. sometimes people would get sick of dealing with the crazy hair ****** people that they were more than happy to sell to me. I also know male hair didn't go for as much? And that again worked for me because some of the best hair I bought came from a guy.

I think we all think our hair is valued super high. Heck I wouldn't dream of selling mine and even if it were long I would think it would be worth a million bucks because it would have taken forever to get it that way. But it really doesn't work like that. Yes sometimes you can get some decent money for it. It's not going to pay off the car or anything but if someone is planning on cutting anyways it's just a nice little bonus.

Someone said something about why blond is worth more than dark if they color it anyways. Well the reason is because true virgin blond hair is pretty rare and when people buy that they are not coloring it. They pay the big bucks to have it real or unprocessed.

mora
October 6th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Just speculating: even if it's going to be dyed anyways (to have extensions match the current hair, for example), blonde hair might be worth more because it is easier for most dyes to show up on hair that is naturally light-colored.

JuliaDancer
October 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM
That could be true, mora. I guess come winter, I'll find a website and see what kind of interest I get. I dunno if $100 would be worth the trouble. I can make that with one belly dance gig without having to worry about Paypal or mailing anything to anyone... Although if I'm cutting it anyway, why not? Ah, I'll see how I feel about it later.

Rocket22
October 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM
That could be true, mora. I guess come winter, I'll find a website and see what kind of interest I get. I dunno if $100 would be worth the trouble. I can make that with one belly dance gig without having to worry about Paypal or mailing anything to anyone... Although if I'm cutting it anyway, why not? Ah, I'll see how I feel about it later.

Hey you never know and if your cutting it anyways even more reason to at least check into it. I will search for that website. The big one used to be thehairtrader, don't know what happened to it but it was fantastic. Also if you do decide you want to sell and you get your feelers out there sometimes people will pay you more to continue to grow it to get to a length they desire. Just a thought. :) good luck and I'll do some research too. I actually sent pictures of me wearing my extensions to the people that I bought hair from. (they requested it of course) It was a nice and friendly experience. I wanted long hair and they were over it. All parties involved were happy :)

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'm not planning to cut it just for the money. More like I'm wanting to cut it back and start fresh growing it out again, so I figure I might as well make some money!

Oh ok. Cool! In that case, more power to you! I hope you get a good amount of money for the hair you sell! :)

mora
October 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM
... I bought lots of hair just for my own personal extensions. ...
Kind of off-topic but did you turn the hair that you bought into extensions on your own or do you have to get a professional to do that?

Rocket22
October 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Kind of off-topic but did you turn the hair that you bought into extensions on your own or do you have to get a professional to do that?

I had to get a professional to weft it.

Rybe
October 6th, 2011, 08:39 PM
. It's not going to pay off the car or anything but if someone is planning on cutting anyways it's just a nice little bonus.

This made me giggle :D my friend and I were just discussing hair selling and she apparently had an aunt with knee length hair who sold it to pay off her car! Apparently she got about $1000 for it. Didn't go into the specifics of how short/what color other than that it was virgin never heat treated etc. But yeah, I'm sure her case is a little unusual. It certainly isn't going to buy you a car! Also, a note, I believe she cut her hair because she was ready to make it shorter, not just for the car thing...

KwaveT
October 6th, 2011, 09:11 PM
There is no way that I would chop that much hair if I had it unless it was extremely damaged. It would take too long to regrow. If that is what you was wanting to do anyway then it certainly doesn't hurt to make a little money while at it.

julierockhead
October 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
If after you research prices you aren't going to get that much for it, why not make yourself some hair rats? There is an article about making a donut for buns in the Articles section, or you could make a traditional rat to insert into updos.

JuliaDancer
October 7th, 2011, 07:54 AM
There is no way that I would chop that much hair if I had it unless it was extremely damaged. It would take too long to regrow. If that is what you was wanting to do anyway then it certainly doesn't hurt to make a little money while at it.

Mine's in good condition, but it grows pretty quickly. I grew from BSL to my current length in a year and a half with two small haircuts in between. I'm not looking to go longer than tailbone, and maintaining it with trims would be too much of a bother. I'd rather chop it and grow it over again. Plus I miss doing wet set curls. It takes too long to dry at this length, or not at all, unless I only curl it half-way up.

If after you research prices you aren't going to get that much for it, why not make yourself some hair rats? There is an article about making a donut for buns in the Articles section, or you could make a traditional rat to insert into updos.

That's actually a good idea! I think if I can't make at least $200, this is what I'll do with it.

Rocket22
October 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM
This made me giggle :D my friend and I were just discussing hair selling and she apparently had an aunt with knee length hair who sold it to pay off her car! Apparently she got about $1000 for it. Didn't go into the specifics of how short/what color other than that it was virgin never heat treated etc. But yeah, I'm sure her case is a little unusual. It certainly isn't going to buy you a car! Also, a note, I believe she cut her hair because she was ready to make it shorter, not just for the car thing...

haha so cute that made me giggle! I have seen some hair go for a lot of money!!! I'm not saying it can't obviously the longer the hair the more money you get. anything over the 20" can get pretty good money and knee length hair cut short can actually bring a fortune, basically the rarer the length the more money it's worth. It's honestly all on how you market your hair. Good pictures make a huge difference as well as having the quality of hair to sell.

WaitingSoLong
October 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Hmm, I think I would have about BSL length hair if I cut 20" off.

JuliaDancer
December 5th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Ok, I've been thinking about it for months now, and I decided I'm ready to make the cut. I might even go a little shorter than BSL and get lots of layers. I miss having layers, even though they do annoy me sometimes. But I'm ready for a change! I just have to find a day in the next week or so to have my bf take some nice photos of my hair so I can see what I can get for it. I'll keep you guys updated if I sell it or just end up keeping it for rats.

Alaytheia
September 1st, 2012, 08:37 PM
Bumping this thread. I can't believe I actually managed to find a thread on this topic. I am very seriously considering cutting my hair. I'm currently at somewhere between tailbone and classic, and I might go as high as midback or higher. I've looked at a couple websites for selling hair, but it seems so... unregulated? How do I honestly describe my hair? What if they get it and complain there's too many split ends?

Is there anyone with advice, or has done this?

leslissocool
September 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM
My friend cut off her knee length honey blond hair for 1800 bucks, she gave almost 35 inches (really tall).

we were joking one day about that, I told her I was growing, she told me she wanted to cut it. I told her if she wanted a short cut, try sell it... She went and did it :lol:. Her hair was 100% virgin, no damage whatsoever and said they inspected it, priced it. She moved now so I don't know where she did it at :(...

Long_hair_bear
September 1st, 2012, 09:15 PM
I'd never sell my hair. It takes me way too long and too much work put in to grow it for me to cut it for any reason. What others do with their hair is up to them though. :)

I'm kind of like Amy from Little Women in that respect. "She would've sooner thought about cutting off her head than her pretty curls." lol

Falcore
September 1st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Bumping this thread. I can't believe I actually managed to find a thread on this topic. I am very seriously considering cutting my hair. I'm currently at somewhere between tailbone and classic, and I might go as high as midback or higher. I've looked at a couple websites for selling hair, but it seems so... unregulated? How do I honestly describe my hair? What if they get it and complain there's too many split ends?

Is there anyone with advice, or has done this?

You cannot do wrong if you're being honest. Show a photo of your hair; circumference; if it's f/m/c; if it's been coloured or had heat on it, what your hair routine is, diet etc. Anything really a potential buyer would be interested in knowing really (as they'll be the ones wearing it after you). I'd also trim the ends/s&d before sending it to the person as well.

Any reason why you're thinking of cutting it? I cannot wait to be your length! Oh, and don't forget the two week rule before doing anything drastic :D

katfemme89
September 1st, 2012, 10:40 PM
I've thought about possibly doing this when I reach my terminal length, and then cutting it back to tailbone or classic and selling it... I think it's awesome.