PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hairy-versary to me! (lots of pictures)

Intransigentia
October 6th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I've been on LHC for a whole year now! So, as seems to be the tradition, progress pictures and a bit of what I've learned.

My hair, October 2010:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6594&pictureid=87663
Not bad condition. The issue that made me join up here was, due to the thickness and weight of my hair (admittedly not that much compared to some here!), it was uncomfortably hot to wear it down, but updos simply wouldn't stay up. So I wanted to learn some new styles.

I not only learned some new updos, I kindof got enabled on the whole hairtoy thing, and in the process, decided that I need lots more hair so I can do more updos.... (my updos and hairtoys album (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6595))

My hair, October 2011:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6594&pictureid=115161

So if you include the approx. 2" of straggly-looking ends I cut off back in May, that would be 7 inches of growth in a year.

What I've learned: For my hair, less is more. My hair is pretty healthy - I'm too lazy to heat style, and too cheap to bother with chemical colour, so my hair is basically virgin. It's on the low end of porosity, and has plenty of its own protein. It likes a bit of moisture, but gets over-moisturized easily. Potions and deep treatments and sprays and leave-ins are fun to experiment with, but mostly leave my hair weighed down at best, greasy looking and gunky feeling at worst.

The routine I've stuck with for the last six or eight months and will for the conceivable future:

Every time I shower, wash the scalp only with super-dilute Neutrogena clarifying shampoo. I use a bottle with a pointy nozzle to squirt the liquid directly onto my scalp.
Every second or third shower, wash all the hair with a ~50/50 mix of Neutrogena clarifying shampoo and coconut oil. Follow with a rinse of a splash of vinegar or lemon juice in about a half gallon of water. Work a pea-size amount of coconut oil into wet hair from the ears down before detangling. Sometimes I mix the coconut oil with whatever is my current favourite BPAL.
Keep it bunned or braided most of the time.
Quarterly, if I remember, a treatment with Lush Caca Noir because I like the colour a bit darker than my natural.Thanks, LHC, for everything I've learned, and also for being such a kind and interesting bunch of people!

kitschy
October 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I LOVE your shirt. Gotta make me one!

oktobergoud
October 6th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Oh my, that shirt! Awesome haha :D

Your hair looks great.. so shiny :-o (the :o smiley is so weird :s)

bunzfan
October 6th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Your hair has grown loads and looks in great condition:D

Avital88
October 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM
good growth and nice shine!! keep it up

Rocket22
October 6th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Wow great growth and I would love your problem with thickness :) What a great shirt! :)

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Very nice! I'm digging that hair-measuring shirt too btw!! Happy hair-iversary. :)

teal
October 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Oh my, that shirt! Awesome haha :D

Your hair looks great.. so shiny :-o

This, exactly! :D

Cassie 123
October 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Wow, very nice growth. Your hair looks super shiny and healthy!

auroraclio
October 6th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Beautiful! Looks so healthy and what a great idea with the shirt!

owlathena
October 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Beautiful! Congrats!

CastaDiva
October 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Happy Hairy-versary:) Your hair looks so shiny and healthy and the colour is wonderful. Good growth, congratulations:)

wooliswonderful
October 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary!
Very nice growth & I also love your shirt. :)

thelittlestdoc
October 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Congrats on one amazing year! I'm hoping to discover that my hair is low-maintenance like yours, but it's yet to be seen if that's the case :cheese:

Intransigentia
October 6th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you everybody for your kind remarks!

akuamoonmaui
October 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Crazy shine and incredible color!!! WoW! Your hair at hip will be amazing!

blondie9912
October 6th, 2011, 02:24 PM
The hair-measuring shirt is a great idea! Smart thinking :)

Your hair looks amazing, the ends have really thickened up since you joined. Looks like benign neglect is working it's magic on you :D

pepperminttea
October 6th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Your hair looks gorgeous! And the shirt... only on LHC. :D

krissykins
October 6th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Happy hairy-versary, gorgeous! Your hair looks stunning! And you're so close to waist! :cheer:

Yozhik
October 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Happy anniversary!

Your hair looks great, and it's so shiny. :cloud9:

I also really enjoyed going through your updo album. :)

Intransigentia
October 6th, 2011, 04:10 PM
aww, y'all are making me blush! :blushing:

Your hair at hip will be amazing!

Of course, the magic of this place is, originally my goal was waist, now it's hip, but if/when I get there, who knows what I'll want. Classic won't be that far away, after all!

Intransigentia
October 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I also really enjoyed going through your updo album. :)

Thanks! I figure, hair is for playing with!

HairFaerie
October 6th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Your hair is very lovely, shiny & healthy! Great growth too! YAY! :)

Aqua Gal
October 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Soooo shiny. Congrats!

Jing
October 7th, 2011, 01:08 PM
That shirt is brilliant. And dame you have nice hair!

freckles
October 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
happy anniversary! your hair looks great :)

SpinDance
October 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Wow! Lovely shine and color. Happy Anniversary. Love the shirt, too!

jasper
October 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Nice progress and pretty hair! That shirt is a hoot.

Lostsoule77
October 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! I love the color, waves, shine, etc! Congratulations on your anniversary and your growth. :)

Emmental
October 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Great growth, great hair, and I have to say, I love your shirt! :)