PDA

View Full Version : Hair Horror for Halloween

Nenyath
October 6th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Do you ever see hair treated in a way which makes you involuntarily flinch? I'm just sitting here, looking out my window. A car stops to pick up a woman with armpit length bleached blonde hair. It is quite windy in there, so when she gets into the car, her hair is caught in the door as she closes it, and instead of opening the door again, she just pulls it in! :scared: Eek!

Seeing other people "brush" their hair can also be pure torture..

Sorry, just had to share with some I know can understand ;) but gather round the camp fire and let us share REAL horror stories! :pumpkin:

Fly free!
-Neny

chihuahuaesque
October 6th, 2011, 10:22 AM
That's horrible! I couldn't imagine just pulling my hair in through the car door- yikes!

My sister had a friend at age 4 who had HORRIBLE hair. Her mom never took care of it, and TAUGHT HER to "cut out" the snarls. So this little girl would just take scissors to any tangled part of her hair and cut it off.

Nenyath
October 6th, 2011, 10:28 AM
The horror! Poor girl, wouldn't just give my 4yo scissors in any case!

sun-kissed
October 6th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Oh wow, that gave me shivers - the car-door one. :bigeyes:

I could hardly hold my sanity when I was riding in the car to a friend's house, and my sister and her best friend where both brushing their hair with plastic brushes, it sounded horrible! And you could literally see the hair flying everywhere as it broke. :tmi:

Madora
October 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Backcombing makes me cringe! How on EARTH can you wreak such damage on your hair and not notice it???

I saw a woman on Judge Judy the other day that had dark brown shoulder length hair that looked like it hadn't been brushed in a week. Talk about rumpled and messy! In another episode, one of the litigants was a hairdresser. Her hair was a horror. Looked like it had been stirred with an egg beater.

Cassie 123
October 6th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Years ago, a stylist of mine used to straighten by sliding the straightening iron vigorously up and down the section of hair. I remember seeing little bits of hair cuticle flying off into the air.

Nenyath
October 6th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I agree Madora, back combing= hairror!

Sunkissed, yup, that is truly hairible! The sound of snapping hair could make a good sound track! I used to know a girl with gorgeous hair, it was dark, thick and wurly and she could not tame it. She used to straighten it, which I thought was a shame. But hearing her tear a brush through that hair made me leave the room, all the hairs on my back stood up!

Any other hairror stories?

Nenyath
October 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I hope it wasn't your hair Cassie! Ekk!

WaitingSoLong
October 6th, 2011, 11:43 AM
People chewing on their ends. <<shivers>> This is like nails on a chalk board to me.

Madora, I used to backcomb my hair regularly in the 80's back when mile high bangs were in style or the whole head being teased out. I would also put copious amounts of hairspray in it so the teased hair would not un-tease itself. We didn't notice the damage for 2 reasons: 1. we had no clue you could damage your hair. Isn't it made of indestructable stuff? lol 2. We regularly trimmed it so the damaged parts never aged enough to be noticed. My hair was BSLish then. I am SURE I have a photo but there is NO WAY I am posting it LOL.

Also, I saw a man's hair burn up in about 2 seconds at a concert once (80's again). Some dude standing behind him lit a cigarette and the guy (whose hair was about BSL, too, I suppose) had teased his hair with lots of hairspray and it just POOF, like flash paper. I remember gaping in horror.

Also, I used to (again the dreaded 80's) curl my hair and say the alphabet slowly twice for each curl while the iron was in my hair. I was taught to do this so the curl would stay better. Not to mention you sprayed it with hair spray WHILE you were curling it. Hey, it worked. LOL. No wonder my hair stopped curling after awhile.

I also used to dye my hair a LOT because it was always so soft afterwards and I liked the smell of hair dye (after the first wash). I would have told you then that dying your hair actually made your hair healthier. In fact, I never saw anything wrong with dying your hair until LHC. I had stopped doing it because I didn't like the upkeep, not for hair health reasons. Seriously, the words "hair health" were foreign to me!

Cassie 123
October 6th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I hope it wasn't your hair Cassie! Ekk!

Yup, it was mine. :pumpkin:

racrane
October 6th, 2011, 12:09 PM
These are making me all cringe!!! For me, the horrors are in dressing rooms while I'm in shows. I can't tell you how terrible some of these girls treat their hair. It's horrible! They put their hair in rollers, hairspray it, tease it to a style, curl it again, hairspray it past reasoning again.... I'm just shuddering.

akuamoonmaui
October 6th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I was in a parking lot of a --Mart and a, poor thing, woman had a.... how do I describe this? Bleached to frizz, short mullet type hair cut. The frizz was in every direction imaginable and the color was somewhere between blond, white and see-thru (if that makes sense). Wait, I'm not done! She had then dyed a pink mohawk pattern into it, however the pink had also faded to the same "consistency" of the rest of her hair. I almost cried when I saw it.

melmmo
October 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I used to backcomb and tease and use tons of hairspray in the 80s too.

I had a stylist (within the last 2 years) try to flat iron my hair by sectioning off a section of hair, spraying hairspray on it for a good 5 seconds, then running the flat iron down it very slowly. It was for a wedding so I couldn't run out of there in horror, I had to let her finish. Crunchy.

I've also had stylists flat iron to the point where my hair was smoking. They told me it was harmless and actually would make it stay straight longer.

wishywashy
October 6th, 2011, 01:23 PM
umm...not sure you all would want to read this...but someone I know, who has thick, hip length hair....burns...yes, BURNS, the split ends on her hair with a cigarette instead of cuts them.

why do it that way?? I have no clue. It's gross and seems absolutely dangerous, for obvious reasons.

my jaw dropped to the floor when she told me what she does..anyone else ever hear of this?

WaitingSoLong
October 6th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Oh yes, hair singe-ing is a way to "trim" and there was a thread once about it. It has been awhile.

I think it was the hairspray that did the poor fellow in.

Blackfire
October 6th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I used to torure my hair..... I have pics somwhere of hot pink spikes that I pulled off by taking a piece of hair stright up, ratting the crap out of the base so it would stay, spraying it for a good long time, letting the hairspray dry, and then flat ironing the living crap out of each spike before I tipped it with glue so it was spikey-er...

I also used to flat iron until it was smoking and smelled like burning hair on a daily basis... I never used conditioner before LHC because I thought it was just an extra non essential.. Didnt know it actually did anything, lol.

another thing I used to do what to black comb my BSL hair into dreads, leaving just enough give that I could pick them out a few days later and they wouldn't be permanant.... I did that A LOT! ....and I never could figure out why my hair looked frizzy all the time... I seriously just thought I was born that way, LOL

gthlvrmx
October 6th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Hair horror? Just go to high school and see for yourself. XD

mora
October 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM
umm...not sure you all would want to read this...but someone I know, who has thick, hip length hair....burns...yes, BURNS, the split ends on her hair with a cigarette instead of cuts them.

why do it that way?? I have no clue. It's gross and seems absolutely dangerous, for obvious reasons.

my jaw dropped to the floor when she told me what she does..anyone else ever hear of this?

Oh yes, hair singe-ing is a way to "trim" and there was a thread once about it. It has been awhile.

I think it was the hairspray that did the poor fellow in.
Is it horrific that I was curious enough about this to go searching for this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=64847) and watched the videos?

blondie9912
October 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Oh my, these are worse than ghost stories!

StephanieB
October 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Me, with my triple-processed platinum pixie hair of the mid-late 1990s... right before my salon accident which you all have read about resulting in severe scalp burns and the loss of my hair.

Note my natural dark hair in my avvy pic.

http://www.stephanieblaine.com/Disney19.jpg

Yeah, that's me and Tigger, at Disney World. lol

Noreth
October 6th, 2011, 04:31 PM
The first time I saw someone backcomb, I actually had tears in my eyes. That was also the last time I'll ever watch a hair styling video from anyone other than LHCers. :)

ElusiveMuse
October 6th, 2011, 04:35 PM
In high school I'd leave bleach in my hair anywhere between 5-8 hours at a time to get it as light and porous as possible so it would hold Manic Panic longer. Then I'd put the Manic Panic on and wrap my hair up in a plastic shower cap for a day or so.

People would be in awe that my colors hardly faded but then one day I wanted to strip out bright red dye and, uh, my hair just disintegrated!

Vanille_
October 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM
It's not for me to judge, I know ... but I did when my best friend who has the most lovely red hair dyed it black.

Vanille_
October 6th, 2011, 05:19 PM
It's not for me to judge, I know ... but I did cringe when my best friend who has the most lovely red hair dyed it black.

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Years ago, a stylist of mine used to straighten by sliding the straightening iron vigorously up and down the section of hair. I remember seeing little bits of hair cuticle flying off into the air.

Yikes! That sounds horrific! I would have had to resist the urge to yell "Hair murderer!!!!" at her! haha

MinderMutsig
October 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Yikes! That sounds horrific! I would have had to resist the urge to yell "Hair murderer!!!!" at her! haha LOL

A woman who works in a toy store in my town has a very interesting hair-do which would be my hair horror. The front sections are dyed a soft brown and the rest is bleached platinum blond. She then back-combs the whole lot into a kind of poof/ponytail without a band, and hairsprays the living daylights out of it. The brown sections are very carefully positioned into a fan-like pattern over the blond poofy bit and sprayed until solid too. It looks kind of artsy and she totally rocks the look but it has become my hair nightmare. I would be so incredibly unhappy if I woke up with that hairdo!

More power to her for doing what she wants with it though. She obviously spends a lot of time and effort to make it look like that and it kind of suits her. It's not exactly a mainstream look so I'm sure she gets not so nice comments on it every now and then and we all know what that's like.

blondie9912
October 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM
In high school I'd leave bleach in my hair anywhere between 5-8 hours at a time to get it as light and porous as possible so it would hold Manic Panic longer. Then I'd put the Manic Panic on and wrap my hair up in a plastic shower cap for a day or so.

People would be in awe that my colors hardly faded but then one day I wanted to strip out bright red dye and, uh, my hair just disintegrated!

WOW now THAT sounds awful! Though you did have the right idea about porous hair holding colour better :D

The shower cap and dye reminds me of a deep treatment. You know, without actually deep treating your hair ;)

Rybe
October 6th, 2011, 08:15 PM

This reminded me of a conversation/ argument I heard in a salon one day while getting my hair trimmed. Some girl was in who'd apparently had her hair bleached and dyed and bleached again (maybe a few more cycles, she sounded like more than a regular) who I believe they said also had it chemically relaxed and tortured a few other ways was there wanting a perm, and two of the other stylists were insisting that her hair would fall out/die and were refusing to do it and were trying to talk her out of it :D not all stylists are evil...

kamikaze hair
October 6th, 2011, 09:51 PM
this thread is not for the fainthearted. My god, some of these stories are horrific. I keep getting shivers up my spine just reading each new post. Although the one about the guy's hair catching fire would probably be the scariest for me.

AnqeIicDemise
October 6th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I over heard a conversation from one of the girls relaying info to one of our managers. The client had gone in for a corrective color treatment after she had fubarred her hair all on her own. Got it to a natural looking blonde but was not happy because it was not light enough, so she was complaining that the colorist refused to foil her hair.

Apparently this woman's hair was 'gummy, and refused to cooperate or be tamed, on top of it not being the right color.' so she wanted it FOILED again so it would lay right.

I wanted to take over the phone and give her a stern talking to.