PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me...

Kaelee
October 6th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Or is my hair really too short for any kind of updo? I feel like it *should* be long enough, at just about APL with the shortest layer being somewhere around shoulder.

I can't even manage a peacock twist without using a ponytail holder first (layers fall out).

Is my hair really too short or am I just EXTREMELY hair-challenged? :cheese:

Zesty
October 6th, 2011, 09:05 AM
What's your hair's thickness? If it's relatively thick then it might not yet be long enough. I couldn't get my hair into a proper cinnamon bun until just past waist, for example. Also, since you said you have layers, it could be that they're too short, and that's what's making updos difficult. Either way, some growth should make it easier.

There are also some updos recommended for shorter hair, but I didn't put my hair up until between MBL and WL, so maybe someone else can help you out there.

Kaelee
October 6th, 2011, 09:28 AM
My hair is very fine, but I have a lot of it. My ponytail doesn't look that thick because it's squished lol, but it is very thick.

I'd love to be able to do some protective updos but I just can't. Fortunately I don't have issues with ponytail holders that a lot of people do because that's about all I'm capable of using.

MaryLA
October 6th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Kaelee I have the same problem. My hair is almost BSL but I have a few layers left that prevent me from a bun updo. Not even spin pins will work....I'm going to get my husband to buy me some Flexi8s for Christmas so hopefully they will work. My only option is to keep growing!

Yozhik
October 6th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Do you know how to French braid? Double French braids along each side of your head would look really cute, I'm betting!

One of my friends did that with between chin and shoulder-length layered hair. :)

Or you could always do half-ups (to fancy those up, you could do them with mini braids or flip them through, like with the topsy tail).

I hope that helps, and I'm sure there should be some updos you can do.

I've actually been thinking about how if I do chop my hair, this time around during the grow-out phase I'll have such a better knowledge base on what kinds of hairdos I can do. :)

Kaelee
October 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Yohzik I can't braid my own hair for the life of me. I DID manage a french braid one night and I thought it was really cute, maybe I just need practice. I can't even manage a regular braid in my own hair (in the back). I can do all kinds of braids on things that I can see, but braiding in the back of my head totally alludes me. *lol*

Yozhik
October 6th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I was like that when I first started, too!

Practice, practice, practice was my cure. ;)

In the meanwhile, you say that you can't braid the back of your hair very well, then what about English braided pigtails? Ooh, and if you decide to start practicing French braiding, it could be easier for you to begin doing twin braids, because then you should be able to see (sort of) what you're doing in the mirror. :)

If all else fails, try the half-up idea!

einna
October 6th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hi, your hair sounds a lot like mine, thick, fine, APL with layers up to shoulder. I have a lot of the same issues with updoes as you have. I think it is a combination of hair not beeing long enough/thick, and my not so good skills. :undecided

Well, anyways, what works for me is the french braid, so keep on working on it. =)
French twists also works very well, a tip to make it hold like a rock is heavy oiled hair held with a large flexi-8. At night I sleep with twin english braids. When I am just at home I often just put my hair "up" with a big satin scrunchie.

jeanniet
October 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Sometimes fine hair is just very slippery, so you need extra length to keep it up, and thick hair has to be longer to do much with it. I'm with Zesty; I've only recently been able to manage a decent cinnabun at waist length. This is one reason I've revised my length goal--I've realized that I'll have to go longer in order to do a greater variety of updos.

Layers make things tricky, but the best advice I can give you is to experiment with different updos and keep practicing until you get better at them. Watch videos on youtube for ideas (search for "updos for shorter hair"). It might be worthwhile to invest in a clip that holds well, like a Ficcare. Sometimes just having the right clip makes a world of difference.

JuliaDancer
October 6th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I agree with Yozhik about the braids. I love braids, and started learning with plain English pigtail braids. Splitting them in two makes it much easier. Instead of braiding behind your back, trying to keep it even, just bring your left braid over your left shoulder and your right braid over your right shoulder. I later learned to dutch and french braid, but it takes practice.

Yame
October 6th, 2011, 11:19 AM
You should be able to do some sort of French twist, I think. I found a video of a girl with APL doing it using a technique my hair is too long for. I'll look for it again when I have a chance.
Aside from a couple things like that, I personally wouldn't expect to be able to do much at APL, but I could be wrong.

auroraclio
October 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I'm just about at APL and the only nice updo I can do is a Gibson Tuck with a Flexi-8. French Braids eat up all my length and I don't care for how they look.