PDA

View Full Version : Ah, to S & D the world

buttercupmcgee
October 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I live in NYC, and am constantly finding myself stuffed into small spaces with other human beings. Lately I've been fixating on searching for splits on other long haired women as a way to pass the time. Yesterday, in line for coffee I spied about ten of them on a blonde in front of me. One of her splits had about 3 splits. Seriously it was all I could do not to ask her if she wanted me to take care of them for her at lunch....

Send help, it's a sickness! :crazyq:

unheardletters
October 6th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I do the same thing!

buttercupmcgee
October 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Thank god! We can be checked into the same treatment center!

RedDevil
October 6th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I live on long island. It's definately not as crowded as the city but for some reason I still find myself in very tight spaces with too many people. I too closely examine the hair of others and on more than one occassion have thought...maybe I should carry scissors :p

spidermom
October 6th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I can take off my glasses if I find myself doing that. Instant blur.

Merewen
October 6th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Gah! You would find yourself quite busy finding the splits in my hair. Keeping my splits at bay is a never ending job. No way would you be able to take care of them over lunch. Although you're welcome to try. :D

Zesty
October 6th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I do that. I try to keep it to a minimum though, and tell myself that my hair standards are way different from other people's.

I also often want to SMT someone's head. :p

karadaema
October 6th, 2011, 09:04 AM
HA! I do the same thing while waiting around in crowded areas. Though most of the people I see need trims or deep conditioning more than S&D. :eye:

Crysta
October 6th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I do it on the bus - and sometimes go through my own hair - I carry a sewing kit [perhaps i'm too organized] so now and then I will chop at any split I find. People think i'm wierd I guess, but i'm not going to see them again, they're bus people :3

I'd never offer to cut someone's hair or tell them they've got a few splits - that's a stranger, I wouldn't want to upset, offend or scare anyone XD

Clem_Dela
October 6th, 2011, 09:09 AM
ah- i'd love to have someone s&d for me while we watch a movie.... give my straining eyes a rest!!!

pepperminttea
October 6th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I worry that other people would do that to my hair; it's a good excuse to wear it up! :p

Yozhik
October 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Usually I occupy myself on public transport by trying to find my own split ends...but that's a destructive process, because I'm not brave enough to bring my own scissors and snip them off in public, so I end up staring at them angrily. :mad:

BunnyBee
October 6th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah, I do that. On the bus, standing in queues, i'm constantly studying other people's hair. I play a little game of Dyed or Natural! Sometimes i want to grab people and shake them screaming "Your hair could be beautiful if you stop putting that **** in it!"

I try to keep it in my head ;)

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I live in NYC, and am constantly finding myself stuffed into small spaces with other human beings. Lately I've been fixating on searching for splits on other long haired women as a way to pass the time. Yesterday, in line for coffee I spied about ten of them on a blonde in front of me. One of her splits had about 3 splits. Seriously it was all I could do not to ask her if she wanted me to take care of them for her at lunch....

Send help, it's a sickness! :crazyq:

LOL I also find myself fixating on the condition of other women's hair to pass the time when I'm out and about and super bored.

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Oh yeah, I do that. On the bus, standing in queues, i'm constantly studying other people's hair. I play a little game of Dyed or Natural! Sometimes i want to grab people and shake them screaming "Your hair could be beautiful if you stop putting that **** in it!"

I try to keep it in my head ;)
Haha I have never gotten the urge to tell someone about the dye, but I have wanted to tell them how much better their hair could be without the backcombing, and flat iron!!! lol

racrane
October 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Oh, I feel the same way. My friend has lovely waist hair but her splits are traveling up and I want to cut off about three inches before it's too late!

coffinhert
October 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I find it extremely offensive that you judge other people's hair.

JUST KIDDING

vatikagirl
October 6th, 2011, 07:02 PM
gosh i thought i was alone suffering frm this sickeness.... thank goodness for all of u ... giggles... lol

truepeacenik
October 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
a very wise man from this site told me that spits eventually end. :-)
I now am leaving mine mostly alone and just left classic for "top half of thigh."

Ashenputtel
October 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I don't S&D but I'm maintening my lenght for my layers to catch up so I'm not really a split searcher.

However, I always hated heat styling and can find an over straightened head of hair in a mile.

Sometimes I search for Renegray with long hair and it makes me smile. I love it.

ccmso12
October 6th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I was tired and my blood sugar low and I had the urge to tell the cashier at the gas station, "honey you really need to stop with the straight iron!"

Sometimes when Im shopping at Wal mart and my sugars low I also have to fight the urge to bash my cart into dumb people . . .but thats another story

BunnyBee
October 6th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Sometimes I search for Renegray with long hair and it makes me smile. I love it.

Oooh I do that too! I love seeing long silver hair :)
See I'm not always mean lol

PixxieStix
October 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I too find myself guilty of this, and on a few occasions with friends have mentioned that they could use a small trim. One of my friends was sitting in front of me during class one day (she's usually behind me ) and I was playing with her APL thick dark hair and noticed that nearly EVERY end was starting to split! She dyes her hair, and I dont' know anything of her hair care routine, but I was so startled the filter between my brain and mouth wasn't working and I just blurted out "Oh honey, you've got split ends everywhere and need to go get them trimmed off as soon as possible." *blushes* Thankfully she didn't smack me or anything, but said she knew about them and was meaning to get it done. I'll be checking on Monday to see if she has yet, her hair is sooo pretty, I don't want it ruined!

thelittlestdoc
October 7th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I definitely have been doing this since joining LHC ;)

alwayssmiling
October 7th, 2011, 01:27 AM
When I'm stuck having a very boring conversation with someone who's going on and on and on, I find my eyes wandering to the hair....the worrying thing is I carry scissors in my bag so there is a slim chance one day I will actually tell someone to stand still for a minute whilst I sort that out for you!

katienoonan
October 7th, 2011, 03:22 AM
ah- i'd love to have someone s&d for me while we watch a movie.... give my straining eyes a rest!!!

Ditto! :rollin:

My sister used to spend hours S&D'ing... i used to tell her it was a bad habit, and she used to get so frustrated with my MBlength splitties.. now all I do is the same thing! xxX

MasCat
October 7th, 2011, 06:01 AM
We should all get together, sit in a giant circle and s&d the hair of the long hair before you :) That would be the best flash mob ever ;)

katienoonan
October 7th, 2011, 06:03 AM
We should all get together, sit in a giant circle and s&d the hair of the long hair before you :) That would be the best flash mob ever ;)

:thud:

This is an AMAZING idea

Aeris
October 7th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Oh gosh, I do this in class all the time - I need to start sitting behind people with short hair!

There was this one girl sat behind in my Race & Minorities class who had very curly, BSL-length hair..but it was covered in splits and was drowning in product :( I wanted to clarify, do an SMT, and then S&D her hair so badly - her hair would have been beautiful! It made me cling to my braid and want to tell it that it's going to be okay, I'll never do that to it :p

buttercupmcgee
October 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Ahh haha! This gave me a good laugh. I would be so down for that!

Foxy_Booker
October 7th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Haha I remember watching a girl in highschool with long and bleached hair. She would pick out her splits and pull them apart so the damage traveled up the hair and she'd do it just because she was bored. It was hard to watch and I tried to stop her but she said she didn't care...

longhairedwolf
October 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I'm not quite as bad as you, but I do find myself checking out the health of other people's hair. I never used to do that before this site!

ArienEllariel
October 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Totally thought of that a couple months ago. Forgot to post it on the LHC... maybe one time we can all get together and have an S & D party. :D lol

BunnyBee
October 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM

This idea is so full of WIN :D :D :cheese:

Aqua Gal
October 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
You guys crack me up!

I'm a trimaholic, but can't bear to S&D. Seriously, it's torture for me.

I spit my soda with a big giggle at Spidermom's comment. That's me w/o my glasses.

Flying Penguin
October 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Because of LHC, I now always check out other people's hair when I'm out and about. Sometimes when I'm walking to work in the mass crowd of people, I'll stay behind someone whose hair I'm admiring, lol. I don't spot splits (because I've never been able to identify split ends, weirdly), but I just admire the condition, length, color, and/or texture. I feel slightly crazy. :lol:

racrane
October 8th, 2011, 07:30 AM
There was a girl yesterday who has APL bleached blonde hair. I want to trim off a good 6 inches it looks so bad. I don't think she cares. :(

buttercupmcgee
October 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Because of LHC, I now always check out other people's hair when I'm out and about. Sometimes when I'm walking to work in the mass crowd of people, I'll stay behind someone whose hair I'm admiring, lol. I don't spot splits (because I've never been able to identify split ends, weirdly), but I just admire the condition, length, color, and/or texture. I feel slightly crazy. :lol:

Me too! Yesterday I purposely walked behind a woman with waist length, layered and heat-styled fawn brown hair with subtle highlights all the way to work because I was hypnotized....I'm amazed I didn't crash into a pole!