PDA

View Full Version : For those who want to bring out red tones in chestnut colored hair

MissAlida
October 6th, 2011, 08:09 AM
So I've been experimentig lately. My parents bought some balsamic vinegar at a local store, and I tought I might give it a try and use it as a rinse. Since I have a BS/white vinegar routine, I just switched from white vinegar to this balsamic one. This one has a very dark reddish brown colour. It is mostly white vinegar, but it has 21%apple juice, 16% must( the juice of grapes), and some raisin extract. I used 1tbs vinegar diluted in 250ml (1 cup) water.
First time I tried it, I also wraped my hair. In the morning, my hair was so red, I was almost a redhead. It was like henna. I was shocked. It did darken troughout the day, but my hair seems alot more reddish than before, especially in the sun.
I tought there might be someone else around here, who likes to have a reddish tone in their hair, without going henna or boxdye. If anyone decides to give it a try, please tell us about the results.:)

omgitssarah
October 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM
That's really interesting! I might have to try that...

teal
October 6th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Yes, this IS interesting! My hair is already dark with reddish tones... I might try this in my next shower. It sounds like you left it in overnight with your hair in plastic wrap - is that right?

thelittlestdoc
October 6th, 2011, 01:25 PM
This is really interesting! I have chestnut hair that used to have far more red tones when I was younger. Unfortunately, I've never been able to achieve the results I want without henna. Maybe when it grows out I'll give your method a go! :)

arwenevenstar37
October 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM
uuu! this is great! I used to have a ton of red in my hair as a kid but i grew out of it and now it is just brown...I have been trying to find out ways of getting more red without dyeing of henna and so far i have had no luck. I will have to give this a try :)

Also, if anyone else knows of any other ways of achieving this :D

pepperminttea
October 6th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Frequent apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinses will do the same thing. :)

einna
October 6th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Interesting. I like my reddish tinge, at least sometimes. Makes me feel oh so special ;) Do you think it is permanent, or just a temporary stain?

catamonica
October 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Wall Mart has Revlon colorsilk. No ammonia. Auburn & red. But the natural way you can do it is mix water & cinnamon into a thick paste. Leave on about thrity minutes & shampoo after. It
will make your hair red. More auburn color.

ElusiveMuse
October 6th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Hibiscus tea rinses also leave a reddish tinge.

teal
October 6th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Interesting. I like my reddish tinge, at least sometimes. Makes me feel oh so special ;) Do you think it is permanent, or just a temporary stain?

If I had to guess I'd say temporary. I don't think vinegar deposits anything that would bond to the hair...

arwenevenstar37
October 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM
thanks :) will have to try some of these and see what works best :)

Anje
October 6th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Wall Mart has Revlon colorsilk. No ammonia. Auburn & red. But the natural way you can do it is mix water & cinnamon into a thick paste. Leave on about thrity minutes & shampoo after. It
will make your hair red. More auburn color.
I'd be cautious with the cinnamon. First, oftentimes it will burn. Second, it can lighten hair, perhaps considerably.

arwenevenstar37
October 7th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I'd be cautious with the cinnamon. First, oftentimes it will burn. Second, it can lighten hair, perhaps considerably.

Aeris
October 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Very interesting - I have a gigantic bottle of balsamic vinegar that my grandmother gave me, and I've been curious about using it instead of ACV. Would leaving it on for that long dry the hair out though?

einna
October 7th, 2011, 09:01 AM
If I had to guess I'd say temporary. I don't think vinegar deposits anything that would bond to the hair...

Good to know! Thanks =)

rock007junkie
October 7th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Has anybody tried adding this to the henna? I think I might try that this Sunday along with hibiscus powder.

MissAlida
October 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I didn't leave it overnight, I just used it as a quick rinse and rinsed it off with cold water afterwards.:) I don't know if leaving it on under a shower cap would be a good idea. It is acidic after all...

xoxophelia
October 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Has it rinsed out of your hair? I'm curious in doing a temporary amber tone. One that will rinse out in 1-2 weeks fully.

Columbia River
October 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Ive been rinsing with a red wine vinegar...love it. However, this is the first time in 25 years I can really see my own hair color, who knows...maybe Ive been coloring over deep brown with a red hue all this time... :blushing: