PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your SO play with your hair?

QueenBea
July 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
One reason I have liked having long hair in the 12 years I've been married is that DH is more likely to touch it and run his fingers through it when we're sitting on the couch together.

I've gone between chin-length and APL during our marriage, and THIS is what he prefers. (I've never had it past APL; I don't know if it would be too long to play with then).

Do you let your Significant Other touch your hair, or is that just setting yourself up for damage? He's very, very gentle, and I LOVE for him to do it---

What's your take on it? I guess I would be willing to not have super-long hair if I still got to have him play with it :) It would be worth the "sacrifice".

Bea

jenna
July 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
all of mine have liked to.

girlcat36
July 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
NO......NO......NO! Do not touch!! :uhh:

CountessDeJager
July 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Luckily Bea, I think there is no such thing as too long to play with, you just can sit farther away and still be reached. :) Luckily my husband kindly lets me enjoy his hair because he knows I will be gentle and respect any rules about handling he might require (none so far). Just be sure to communicate and you'll be fine as you grow.

jenna
July 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM
another thing about being okay with my guy touching mine is he could do pretty good braids that i can't for the life of me fix up myself. i'll enjoy having a little help with it. :p

Gumball
July 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Oh yeah. I let her have a field day. I can't braid my hair worth anything, but I can do it just fine on someone else. I taught her so when she's around and I have someone to braid me up. We're a hair tag team that doesn't have to learn to do much else than buns on ourselves. :D We're super gentle so nothing bad there!

Riot Crrl
July 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
It totally depends on what my plans are, lol. If I'm home for the evening, sure, he can have at it. Going somewhere? No way, hahaha.

spidermom
July 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM
He doesn't do it often, but I certainly allow it when he will. He's so gentle and careful that it tickles.

wonderlywroughte
July 3rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
If he wanted to, I suppose I would let him. He doesn't ever really touch it, though. :o

Naluin
July 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM
When my hair isn't in braids or something, DBF often has his hands in my hair, but my hands are in his hair all the time, so I don't mind. :)

Nat242
July 3rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
I love it when my partner plays with my hair! He's taken to inventing new hairstyles (see my blog for pictures). It's a lot of fun, and it makes me feel very nurtured. He's very gentle, too. Even if he did break a few hairs, it would be worth it ;)

-- Natalie

VanillaTresses
July 3rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
I am going to have to go with "It depends." It totally depends on whether it is a "let me mess your hair up" noogie type of thing or "let me brush your hair" type of thing. Unfortunately the "noogie" attempts are much more frequent than the "brushing" attempts. Ah well, some people never grow up. :cool:

brok3nwings
July 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
I personally never enjoyed people toutching my hair or doing things with it... my boyfriend doesnt play much with my hair because he is afraid that i would say "outch you are pulling my hair!" eheh , anyway, he isnt used to take my hair off my shoulder to put his arm around, and as i am always telling "look out, my hair" maybe he doesnt feel that confortable but he will eventually :) he met me with really short hair, and since im with him this is the longest... but he always knew the love i have for long hair.

Starr
July 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
It totally depends on what my plans are, lol. If I'm home for the evening, sure, he can have at it. Going somewhere? No way, hahaha.

:D I have the same "rule"- otherwise it's frizz galore.

jojo
July 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Hell no! he's way to rough and clumsy. I let him once when it was waist and he tied all knots in my hair, which took ages to comb out. anyway he's growing his own so he can play with his own now!

Xandergrammy
July 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
I love having my hair touched. And my DH is very gentle, so he can touch it whenever he wants. I want to teach him how to braid, but he doesn't seem interested, darn it!

GlennaGirl
July 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
I used to love having my hair played with, but after five years of two children yanking on it constantly, I can no longer bear to have my hair fiddled with. :(

dorothea-brooke
July 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
My DH doesn't show much interest in playing with my hair, alas. But he seems not to be able to stop putting his arm around my shoulder or waist and tugging on it, even though I constantly whine about it. :lol:

Hmmm.... maybe this is why he has no interest in playing with it??? :wink:

dorothea

Kirin
July 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
The day i don't let my husband touch my hair, is the day I have shaved it all off!

Ndnlady
July 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Completely agreeing with this one!:) It is a good relaxation thing when dh is playing with my hair.

The day i don't let my husband touch my hair, is the day I have shaved it all off!

flapjack
July 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
My boyfriend is a nerd, I've decided. The other day he told me my hair was too long. Then that night, he was playing with it as usual and I said "I'm going to get it all cut off, I think" and he flipped out about how terrible of an idea this was and how I should never cut it.

*shakes head*

trolleypup
July 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Luckily Bea, I think there is no such thing as too long to play with...
I'll second that motion!

Long enough that it can be played with when you are driving is good!

Oh yeah. I let her have a field day. ...
Mmmhmmm!

I can't imagine not allowing Dianyla to play with my hair. I will note that I don't restrict it to her only, I'm happy to have any trusted person play with my hair...always have been.

julya
July 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
I don't have a SO, but I do like for friends to play with my hair as long as they are gentle.

SweetPea88
July 3rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Yes, because he knows how much I care about it and therefore treats it veryyyy nicely. He even offers to comb it and actually WANTS to learn how to braid it. :inlove:

jessie58
July 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Yup, DH only seems to do it when we are in bed, he drapes his hand over the top of my pillow and fiddles with it, not even knowing he is doing it sometimes. I say nothing, even though he is tangling it all to hell, it's too nice.

When the 4 kids were younger, they used to stand behind me while I sat on the couch and "style" my hair. I tell you my hair took so much abuse from them from elastics and little plastic barrettes to the comb ripping through.

However if anybody else as much puts their hand out to my hair, I cringe. Please don't touch my hair unless I love you. :) :silly:

Siava
July 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
The only time Mr. Wonderful touches mine is when he's pulling it. TMI? Maybe, but it's true. The longer it gets, the more I'm freaking out about it. Time to use the collar full time I think. :lol:

redcelticcurls
July 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Only if we are staying in. Hands through curls are no fun - looks like brushed out hair.

Besides, someone could lose a finger in that morass!

Kiraela
July 3rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
If he wanted to, I'd let him, but most of the time he's too tired/stressed... Every once in a while he'll comb it for me, though. He's dated a few longhairs, so he knows to be gentle. He's also a master at picking loose hair out of his book without waking me, if that counts, LOL.

DecafJane
July 4th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Definitely! I love it when he plays with my hair or massages my scalp. :D :D

Finoriel
July 4th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Luckily my o/h is not interested in my hair :wink: heīs interested in me. Seriously itīs my "hobby" not his and I dislike it when anyone tries to fiddle around with it. So, nope I do not let him play with my hair. Itīs not a toy to play with, itīs just hair.

Gothic Lolita
July 4th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I love people playing with my hair, especially my boyfriend. He's sso gentle with it, even more than I am. Plus, he loves it, when I "stroke" his back with my hair, or he just runs his fingers through it.
I'm really lucky to have someone who appreciates long, well-kept hair just as much as I do.

Molster
July 4th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Oh God no I hate people touching my head and I'm not too keen about anyone touching my hair for any length of time. Sometimes I wish he could plait (braid) my hair, but he's pretty useless on that score.

He loves his head being massaged though and I often wish he would grow his hair so I could play with it. He would look like a dork with long hair though - it just doesn't suit some men.

Chrissy
July 4th, 2008, 05:34 AM
My kids used to love to play with my hair when it was long. When I cut it they were very upset. Hence I'm growing it back! They would brush it too. I just had to tell them the proper way to do that as they always wanted to start at the top and then just pull the brush through. So I told them how to gently start at the bottom and work your way up. I miss this now. But I've told them I'm growing it back and they are very happy. My husband doesn't really care one way or the other. He just wants me to be happy with my hair.

QueenBea
July 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Good--I'm glad to know others let their SOs play :) My husband doesn't play for fun; he touches my hair and head because he knows I love it!

So as long as he keeps his nails trimmed and is gentle, I'm not going to worry about it---maybe it will actually stimulate more growth.

Very soothing; I actually get kinda mad if we're watching a movie and he's sitting there with his arm crossed. I'm thinking, HAIR, touch the HAIR!

Bea

WaimeaWahine
July 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well it depends I guess. My last BF used to love
to mess it up like a kitten with a ball of yarn and finally it became a "hands off, please" situation.

I once had a BF with hair down past his rear all
one length (my head was shaved then) and watching him work through annoying tangles made me more understanding.

Funny though, I love to be out in wind storms and
let it get messy. There's a freedom in that.

Firefly
July 4th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Absolutely! I love having my hair played with. He's gentle, so I don't worry about damage. I love having my hair brushed as well, and I did used to let my children brush through my hair, shudder: but that was pre-LHC.

Rapunzelwannabe
July 4th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I wish people would play with my hair, especially my BF, but rarely does anyone intentionally touch it, with the exception of my 12 year old brother, who I don't let play with it because he wants to learn how to braid on my hair and that's not gonna happen without some casualties

Lady Godiva
July 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
For us, it's an ordinary thing for my husband to handle my hair. It's not that special or rare at all, so it's not what we'd consider "playing." He knows how to detangle my hair as well as I do, except he can do it from behind me, which is very difficult for me to do. :lol: Detangling this hair is no small task to accomplish, and it's fine texture makes this doubly so. He is a master with my hair. He also trims my hair for me.

For those rare times when I have my hair in a half-updo, he'll reach over and gently straighten any fly-aways by running his hand down the length. He'll catch anything caught in my hair that way, and doing this is second-nature for him. I find this very sweet, even if he's doing it absentmindedly.

I also help take care of his hair for him, giving him trims and advice. Hence, this is a give-and-take situation for us that's very mutual. It's simply a part of taking care of ourselves and each other that goes hand-in-hand with being married, as we see it. We both have long hair, and as we help each other in a myriad of other ways, why not this way, too? :cool:

Anje
July 4th, 2008, 01:40 PM
DH isn't particularly interested in my hair, though he's welcome to touch it if he wants to. I enjoy having people play with my hair, assuming they're gentle, but that typically ends up being female friends.

DH has been good enough to help me trim it at least once, and he's pretty understanding of all this "hair stuff," so I figure I have it pretty good.

Gumball
July 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'll second that motion!

Long enough that it can be played with when you are driving is good!

Mmmhmmm!

I can't imagine not allowing Dianyla to play with my hair. I will note that I don't restrict it to her only, I'm happy to have any trusted person play with my hair...always have been.

Very true. If we're in the right mood and they're trusted then why not enjoy the benefit of the utter relaxation we get from it? :cloud9:

katiana
July 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I love when people play with my head or hair, it really is relaxing..but rarely does that happen..my husband really never touches my hair, I do not think he really cares about it..my daughter once tried to comb my hair ( yeah, that was crazy ) and I was snoozing until I noticed she was actually curling the comb around and around..I almost had a panick attack when I finally noticed my hair was in a tight ball of knots around the comb! It took over an hour to remove that comb out of my hair and I really thought we would have to chop off the bulk of it..it helped to have someone patient ( my husband ) remove it for me... but that was the last time she has combed my hair..for now at least..

Katahdin
July 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I love it when people play with my hair... just the way it feels on my scalp, it's so relaxing :)

I remember when I first started school in grade two (was home schooled before that) the teacher would always make us line up single-file at the door before going to assemblies and the like. People behind me would always play with my hair, and I loved how it felt.

Alas, everyone seems to have grown out of touching my hair on impulse. No-one ever plays with it any more, except for my best friend's little sister.

paper
July 5th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Oh yes, I love when my DH plays with my hair. It's very relaxing. He does my root touch up for me, and I could fall asleep in the chair. And, he likes to touch my hair and tell me it's long. Which is sweet because it's only shoulder length. :cool:

vindo
July 5th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I would like my husband to cause its just a nice romantic thing to do sometimes, but he is not the type to play with my hair in any way. He pets my head sometimes though.

Medvssa
July 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I think he is afraid to get tangled :lol: I do play with his though :D

Sarahmoon
July 5th, 2008, 07:06 AM
My bf usually just says how much he likes it :-) He sometimes touches it but never really strokes it or anything.

AerisDawn
July 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
My bf doesn't really play with my hair that much. I'd let him of course. What I really want him to do is trim it for me because I don't trust anyone else to do it.

Fyral
July 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM
if i had a s/o i'd love for them to play with my hair. as it sits though the only person i let near my hair is my sister, and even though i love my hair played with/scalp massaged it seems just weird for my sister to do something to me that normally my girlfriend would do so she just brushes it own and periodically puts it in a braid for me if we're going to the club and i'm "dressing up"

Patty lou
July 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Yes, Dh braids my hair all the time, especially for church as he is really good at it,
we each did our 2 DD's braids one Sunday and he did a much better job than me
( I hate to admit this)

Patty lou

catfish
July 5th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Nearly every night my SO and I go for a walk to the beach and sit on a bench to talk about our day/finances/whatever and while we sit and chat he plays with my hair. :crush:

Other than my SO, only very close friends or family I really like, get to touch my hair.

toodramatik
July 5th, 2008, 05:34 PM
My hair's always up and if we're alone my bf insists on taking it out of it's ponytail/bun. It drives me bonkers but I'm always playing with his [when it's not covered in gel, anyway], so it's a fair deal.

Speedbump
July 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM
If I had an SO, I would absolutely want him to be my faithful Hair Minion. :twisted: :whistle:

Marcipangris
July 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM
My boyfriend will sometimes pet my head or scratch it, like one would do to a dog. :rolleyes: But he says he really likes long hair. Maybe when it gets longer he'll play with it, but I cant imagine him braiding it or brushing it...

trolleypup
July 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM
If I had an SO, I would absolutely want him to be my faithful Hair Minion. :twisted: :whistle:
I hope you get a good one!

http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/070911-084313-BuckeyeHotSprings-SouthRimCamp-N-tiny.jpg

LadyMoon11
July 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Absolutely. He loves to gently brush my hair or finger comb it absentmindedly. It is so relaxing and wonderful. :cloud9:
I even let my DS5 brush my hair. He knows to be gentle and he likes to do it sometimes- so as long as he is gentle I let him. He has always loved my long hair and he enjoyed trying to braid it or wrap it up. It is cute. :D

Ciel
July 5th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I love for my DH to play on my hair, especially when he gives me me scalp massages. :)

CaityBear
July 5th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Of course. :) He's always really gentle so I don't have to worry about damage. Not to mention I really love when somebody plays with my hair. :)

I taught him how to braid a few months ago and now he does fairly good braids so I'll sometimes let him braid my hair before we go to bed because I don't always feel like twisting my arms that way. lol

Next...he's going to learn to French braid! :P hehe

Lady Verity
July 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I play with my boyfriends more than he plays with mine. I dye it for him (henna) and advice him on conditioning and clarifying. He also loves head massages, so all in all I get to see a lot of that boy's hair.

Jason
July 6th, 2008, 04:06 PM
That's one of the best parts of having long hair!

TammySue
July 6th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Absolutely! (Well, when I meet him, of course I'll let him play with my hair!) :D

Shadow Walker
July 6th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I haven't dated in the 3 years since growing my hair out. I had a shaved head when I was with my last girlfriend, and she would sometimes rub my stubble. :P

I of course would play with her hair all the time, which was just past her shoulders when we first started going out and was about APL when we broke up. She was the one who taught me how to braid, and I would run my fingers through it any chance I got.

I would let a future SO play with my hair so long as she was careful, in high school when I had almost chin length hair I loved it when my lady friends would play with it. It's quite relaxing.

EdG
July 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
My former girlfriend and I used to untangle each other's hair. That's a benefit of being a long-haired couple! :)
Ed

LongForLife
July 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I love it when my hubby plays with my hair. It is about the most relaxing thing, next to a massage. He also does pretty good braids and likes to take down my up-dos. I find myself saying, "It's ok, I can do it", but I actually do like him messing with it, so I should start relaxing more and allowing him to do so. He actually helps me with half up styles and up styles and is really pretty patient when my hair is winning! :D

Speedbump
July 6th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I hope you get a good one!

http://www.trolleypup.info/lhc/070911-084313-BuckeyeHotSprings-SouthRimCamp-N-tiny.jpg

Aw, thanks Pup! :smooch:

wendy645
July 7th, 2008, 03:00 PM
My boyfriend loves my long hair. He's seen it go from shoulder to tailbone, and loves it more every day. He isn't obsesed or anything, but will stop me as I rush out the door to tell me how beautiful I am and how pretty my hair is that day, or run his fingers through it while snuggling (this usually ends up in tangles around his fingers but we laugh about it) and if I'm really lucky, occasionally he'll brush my hair. *purrrrrrrr* :-)

young&reckless
July 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Yes, I love it when he plays with my hair, he likes to hide under it.

I let my dogs lay on it too, or it on them, they love that I'm "furry"!