PDA

View Full Version : I fixed my shedding!

Annibelle
October 6th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I think I already said this on the CO thread, but since I'm seeing so many people on here who have problems with thinness, I thought I'd share here, too, JUST in case it could help someone else!

I went CO for a month in the spring and my hair and scalp LOVED it. Then I tried WO for a month. It was okay, but I started shedding MASSIVELY. I haven't measured my circumference at all because I'm afraid to. I didn't notice a difference by just looking at my hair, but I was combing out two or three GOBS (like fist-sized wads) each day. I switched over to CO again, thinking everything would become lovely again, but the shedding persisted. Finally, after a few months back on CO, I broke down and used shampoo. My hair HATED it... but ever since then (it's been about two weeks) my shedding is back to normal! I guess my follicles were blocked with oil or something? I dunno. I've been continuing CO since, and my hair has regained its moisture, and I'm still not shedding much.

So for anyone who is shedding and your situation is like mine... try this! :) I hope my story can help someone else. :D

gthlvrmx
October 7th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Oh wow. My hair trimmer lady told me that about the hair doing that, i knew it was true to some point only. It depends on what conditioner you use though, some have better cationic? ingredients or something, something like that, that helps remove dirt and oil buildup. Not so sure on the science of this, i assumed it'd take a lot of oil to start those big sheds.

Annibelle
October 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Oh wow. My hair trimmer lady told me that about the hair doing that, i knew it was true to some point only. It depends on what conditioner you use though, some have better cationic? ingredients or something, something like that, that helps remove dirt and oil buildup. Not so sure on the science of this, i assumed it'd take a lot of oil to start those big sheds.

I dunno much about the ingredients, but I DO use a heavy conditioner (Triple Nutrition) on my scalp-- first I use Suave, but if I don't moisturize my roots after, I'm a fluffball all week. o_o So I do both. Sometimes after a coconut oil massage. So I guess I was getting a lot of oil?

Sunsailing
October 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Your scalp must be clean for healthy hair. And no two scalps are the same. Many things, including DHT, can build up on the scalp and lead to excessive hair fallout.

I usually go two days between shampooing. If I go three, I will have excessive shedding. I do the CWC method, which seems to work well. I also recommend a low sudsing shampoo so it can be concentrated to the scalp (I use Nioxin).

BunnyBee
October 8th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Maybe. Shampoo isn't evil and Sunsailing is right, you need to have a clean scalp whatever your routine. WO involves a lot of extra work with massages and BB brushing to clean the scalp.

Annibelle
October 8th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Maybe. Shampoo isn't evil and Sunsailing is right, you need to have a clean scalp whatever your routine. WO involves a lot of extra work with massages and BB brushing to clean the scalp.

I don't think shampoo is "evil," I just want to stay away from it as much as possible because it makes my hair very fluffy. :(