PDA

View Full Version : Oiling without looking oily

jhill923
October 6th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Any tips on how to use coconut oil on ends without it looking oily ? I mean can you mix it with a little water or maybe spray on instead of using your hands ?

spidermom
October 6th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I do my oiling an hour to a day before washing.

Madora
October 6th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Any tips on how to use coconut oil on ends without it looking oily ? I mean can you mix it with a little water or maybe spray on instead of using your hands ?

Take a very small amount (pea size or less) and rub it on your palms, then apply palms to the last 2 inches of your ends. You can do it every day if you wish.

Gulbahar
October 6th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Take a very small amount (pea size or less) and rub it on your palms, then apply palms to the last 2 inches of your ends. You can do it every day if you wish.
This is what I do as well. You just have to be careful not to use too much oil, that's all.

pepperminttea
October 6th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Coconut oil's tricky - when I do a light oiling with it, I typically use about a quarter of a pea-sized amount, rubbed between my hands, so they just have the slightest sheen. Any more than that and it over does it. Coconut's such a heavy oil, so I normally save it just for pre-wash oilings anyway. For light oilings I use camellia or NightBlooming's Triple Moon blend. :)

roodboerinnetje
October 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Coconut oil's tricky - when I do a light oiling with it, I typically use about a quarter of a pea-sized amount, rubbed between my hands, so they just have the slightest sheen. Any more than that and it over does it. Coconut's such a heavy oil, so I normally save it just for pre-wash oilings anyway. For light oilings I use camellia or NightBlooming's Triple Moon blend. :)

Thanks for the tip, Pepperminttea!

I haven't quite gotten the hang coconut oil yet. It seems to be very heavy on my hair. I'll try the pre-wash oiling and see if that makes a difference! Also, I notice that many of you just put in on your ends (not all over your hair). Guess I missed that detail :p

swetiepeti
October 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I do as peppermint tea does if it's not just before CO washing day. I put just about a drop of coconut oil on my hands and rub hands together and then spread over just the last few inches. My ends tend to dry out so like Madora I've been known to repeat this daily although I have to do only a drop at a time. Makes my ends get oily at about the same rate as the root side.
I'm much more liberal with the coconut oil if I'm going to CO wash it soon as for me, CO washing gets all the excess out.

Mairéad
October 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I get just enough to make my hands shiny and run it through, concentrating on ends, and letting the remainder on the rest of the length. I may use more as my hair grows but I use this amount every night as a leave in and it doesn't seem to make my hair get oily-looking.

sipnsun
October 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Good question, I've never been able to oil without my hair looking, well, oily! So ...like spidermom said, I only oil a couple of hours before washing. It does wash out pretty easily and looks shiny when it's clean!

thelittlestdoc
October 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM
If you're still having trouble with coconut after all these lovely ladies' tips, you might be like me and just have hair that can't handle coconut during the day.
I've switched to jojoba for daily use and coconut only for deep conditioning prior to washing. It's made an absolute world of difference for my hair ;)

moon2dove
October 6th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I also do the same as @spidermom with my Coconut Oil. I sometimes oil ends between washes. I wet my ends first, then rub a tiny amount between my palms and apply. I find my hair dries fine and doesn't look greasy :)

roodboerinnetje
October 8th, 2011, 09:27 AM
If you're still having trouble with coconut after all these lovely ladies' tips, you might be like me and just have hair that can't handle coconut during the day.
I've switched to jojoba for daily use and coconut only for deep conditioning prior to washing. It's made an absolute world of difference for my hair ;)

Oh!! Great to know... thank you for the tip! :)

I've heard good things about other oils, as well (argan, camellia, etc), but now that I have this GIANT jar of organic coconut oil, I feel like I have to use it up! Either that, or portion it out and start giving it away to all my friends... :D

jujube
October 8th, 2011, 09:33 AM
As others have said, coconut oil is a heavy oil. I like to only use it for pre-wash treatments, and use a lighter oil as a leave-in. Currently grapeseed oil, but I'd like to try jojoba.

HairFaerie
October 8th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I don't really like how coconut oil makes my hair feel at all. I like to use it on my skin though.

The oil "treatment" that I fell in love with for my hair is a mixture I make:

distilled water
1/4 teaspoon argan oil
a few "scrapes" of shea butter (you can heat the mixture in the microwave for a few seconds if the shea is really solidified)
4 oz. spray bottle

Shake it all up and use the spritz any time of the day. I use it right before & after blow drying and also a few times throughout the day/night.

A light spritz makes your hair really soft and shiny!
It's not heavy (if you spritz a little all over, don't saturate) and doesn't feel oily or greasy at all!

(The shea butter will eventually solidify again, not to worry.)

jacqueline101
October 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM
If you're like me and mist it real lightly on the hair you might have to dilute with water. Do it weekly on hair that's damp after your hair washing day.

morrigan*
October 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I get just enough to make my hands shiny and run it through, concentrating on ends, and letting the remainder on the rest of the length.

I do exactly the same :D, with drop or two. And i switched to jojoba oil for everyday use, it's much more suitable for me :)

BlazingHeart
October 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I use coconut oil as a skin moisturizer as well as for my hair, so what I do is apply it to my skin first, and what's left over on my hands goes into my hair - just that little bit that didn't absorb.

~Blaze