PDA

View Full Version : Just ForGet about split ends !?

jhill923
October 6th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Ok- I give up no matter how nice I am to my hair (no heat, S&Ding, coconut oiling etttcc) I have split ends ! all over !

I can make them less noticeable if I style my hair or put it up.......but my all time goal is to have loooong hair to my mid lower back, about 4 inches past bra strap. And Im never gonna get there without split ends ! It must just be my hair type because my 7 yr old has hair like mine full of splits and she has non heated virgin hair !

Soooo Im going to just forget about the splits- accept that I get them and have to live with them ! I may hate seeing them, but probably no one can see them unless their examining my hair. This is about letting go ! and grow!

Anje
October 6th, 2011, 08:04 AM
How are you wearing your hair, day-to-day? I know my splits start multiplying fast if I wear my hair loose often, and yours could very likely be the same way. Wearing hair loose can encourage it to dry out more, and it causes the tangles that lead to splits.

Buffy
October 6th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Ahh.....hi5 girl!!:D Same here!!

My hair is thin -even though i have lots of them, and i alsoget highlights,once every 3 months. I'm not willing to stop doing that, because it looks pretty :o

I don't apply heat , and generally, other than bleaching, i totally baby it! Unfortunatelly it is how it is....you are born with it..

A friend of mine washes and straightens with a flat iron her hair EVERY SINGLE DAY. No oils, no conditioner(!!), just a mask, once a week and she has the most gorgeous and shiny hair.

Mine is not like that, so i recently decided to compromise with the split ends, otherwise i will never grow it as long as i'd like (mid back) Besides, as you said, noone notices, unless he examins your hair from up close

spidermom
October 6th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I can find split ends every time I look for them, and I've been giving my hair LHC care for 6 years now.

Recently I made up my mind to abandon S&D and tucked my scissors away so that they're inconvenient to get to. From now on, regular small trims and no S&D. When I don't look for splits, I don't find them. It's better for my mental health.

My hair is in pretty good shape anyway. I'm sure people don't look at it and think "it's so damaged!" Anyway, I wear it up a lot.

jhill923
October 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Ahh.....hi5 girl!!:D Same here!!

My hair is thin -even though i have lots of them, and i alsoget highlights,once every 3 months. I'm not willing to stop doing that, because it looks pretty :o

I don't apply heat , and generally, other than bleaching, i totally baby it! Unfortunatelly it is how it is....you are born with it..

A friend of mine washes and straightens with a flat iron her hair EVERY SINGLE DAY. No oils, no conditioner(!!), just a mask, once a week and she has the most gorgeous and shiny hair.

Mine is not like that, so i recently decided to compromise with the split ends, otherwise i will never grow it as long as i'd like (mid back) Besides, as you said, noone notices, unless he examins your hair from up close

Yes Buffy ! thats what im saying ! Some people have gorgeous hair no matter how mean they are to it ! So whats the point ?! All you can do is reasonable maintenance- and if that doesnt keep splits away I have to live with them or be bald ! They used to really stress me out, so I'd S&D constantly and always feel defeated. But screw it ! im gonna do benign neglect i guess ! I cant win anyway !

unheardletters
October 6th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I also have a lot, very much a lot, of splits on my non-heated, virgin hair. I wear it up all the time, because I have a terribly bad habit of pulling out hairs when I'm stressed or bored...very bad, which is why my hair does not look as thick right now as I know it to be. Anyways, I'm trying to ignore the split ends, but I find it excruciatingly difficult.

Buffy
October 6th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Yes Buffy ! thats what im saying ! Some people have gorgeous hair no matter how mean they are to it ! So whats the point ?! All you can do is reasonable maintenance- and if that doesnt keep splits away I have to live with them or be bald ! They used to really stress me out, so I'd S&D constantly and always feel defeated. But screw it ! im gonna do benign neglect i guess ! I cant win anyway !

Exactly!! :bottomsup:

I've also decided to stop S&D. Because no matter how often i do it, i keeps finding new ones! Even if i do it every day! So what do i achieve?....i don't get rid of the split ends AND i end up thinning the ends of my hair. No no, that's enough, just trims in reasonable timing and that's it! I've compromised.

Merewen
October 6th, 2011, 09:09 AM
I have a lot of splits, but ignoring them doesn't work for me for two reasons.

1) They get worse. The splits get splits, and then those splits split, and then the split hair splits farther up and the whole process starts over.

2) I will find them anyway and break them off instead of cut them. That's just not helpful at all.

Mostly I S&D because of the second item there.
Actually, it doesn't seem to thin out my ends that much at all. When I S&D I usually am cutting off a few millimeters of one individual hair (although sometimes the split is farther up than that). Sure, it adds up, but not quickly enough for me to tell if my hair is a little thinner on the bottom because it's not growing quite evenly (fairytaling) or if it's the S&D. I trim pretty minimally and my hemline is still looking okay.

So just a little different perspective. :) I'd like the "forget about it" thing if I would actually be able to do that.

Zesty
October 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I don't worry too much about splits. I find splits and white dots whenever I look, but they aren't super visible, and they haven't stalled my growth or anything. I S&D, but mostly to soothe my OCD; I'm not expecting to get rid of all my splits that way. I think it's probably just healthier to take the best care of your hair that you can and accept that a few splits come with having long hair.