PDA

View Full Version : Avocado killed my hair!

Tawnylioness
October 6th, 2011, 03:26 AM
so my hair was beautiful the other day, for the first time i tried cwc and my hair had shine, felt silky and had bounce, my hair has never had bounce....but i recently coloured it so i thought i would try the avocado and oil i read so much about. Now my hair is a thick strawlike mass...oh im so sorry for messing with you hair, you where doing so well before i butted in with my "lets try this" ideas.

Any ideas how i can correct this mistake, and regain my pre avocado splendour?

Cice
October 6th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Hmm I am guessing you just have to wait it out because I dont think it damaged your hair but it just got over oiled so its weighed down. I am not sure how to remedy it, but maybe you just wash it a few more times. Idk

Avital88
October 6th, 2011, 03:40 AM
i dont think it was the avacado, it must have been the dye.. When i dye my hair the first week its amazingly soft and shiny,then after it will become straw too,no matter what i do.Then i juts have to wait and condition alot for 2 months before its back to normal again

Ishje
October 6th, 2011, 03:55 AM
my hair becomes dry too when I use avocado.
it is difficult to know if it being dry is because of the avocado or the dye though.
why don't you try another type of oil? or maybe a SMT?

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 6th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Avocado usually makes my hair really soft... lol

Carolyn
October 6th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I'd do a clarifying wash and then go back to CWC since that worked well for you.

gretchen_hair
October 6th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Avocado could have had an effect on your hair but I can't see it being the culprit as making it a *straw like mass*, that sounds like the dye to me. I would try to condition and not use a lot of harsh shampoo.

Madora
October 6th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Please, enjoy the avocado (and all other goodies) in a salad or au naturelle and gain the benefits thru your digestive system.

spidermom
October 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I agree with Carolyn.

einna
October 6th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Avocado has a lot of protein in it, maybe your hair does not react well to that. I agree with Carolyn to clarify and go back to what works for you. Do changes with baby steps. If your hair is still dry, I would try a moisturizing treatment like an SMT.

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I would try a clarifying wash, then deep moisturizing conditioner.

teal
October 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
"Avocado and oil"? What kind of oil was it?

You may have luck CO-washing it out. It usually takes me two rounds of CO-washing with liberal amounts of conditioner to get heavy oilings out of my hair.

Cassie 123
October 6th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Wash your hair (the whole length) with a clarifying shampoo. Lather, rinse, repeat. Then apply lots of your favorite rich conditioner and let sit for 15 minutes before you rinse.

krissykins
October 6th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Yup, sounds like a case of too much protein. I agree with everyone else, clarify and deep condition, then make sure to watch out for protein in your products.

MissAlyssa
October 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Avacado makes my hair really dry too, my hair doesn't need that much protein, so maybe that's your problem too? After this happened to me I cowashed really well then put a bunch of moisturizing conditioner in my damp hair and left it in a bun for like two days. And after about a week with no shampooing and using lots of conditioner and cowashing my hair went back to normal

Tawnylioness
October 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Thankyou everyone for your help, i shall now proceed to only eat my protien and condition like crazy :)

StephanieB
October 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Avocado has a lot of protein in it,

My hair loves avocado oil. Is there protein in the oil alone?

Cassie 123
October 6th, 2011, 07:03 PM
My hair loves avocado oil. Is there protein in the oil alone?

Nope. None. :)

StephanieB
October 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Nope. None. :)
That makes sense, then.

I was wondering why my protein-hating hair loves avocado oil. lol

AcornMystic
October 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Thankyou everyone for your help, i shall now proceed to only eat my protien and condition like crazy :)

I tried my first avocado treatment a few weeks ago. Let me tell you, I'm not doing it again and I'm happy my hair is back to this state, especially after finally cutting off the last of my dye damage about a week ago. I did, however, try a protein treatment with coconut milk and it was a blessing (the first time I tried it it turned to straw so it was just a matter of knowing when I needed a protein treatment and when I needed moisture).

It's not a matter of only eating your protein, since if you colour your hair the healthy hair that comes out will have cuticles broken off and/or just damaged because of the treatments done to it or the way it is handled. So we do protein treatments to fix that. It's a matter of finding what protein treatment works for you. Avocado was much too oily for me and left my hair feeling like it perpetually had peanut butter in it. I hope you find what works for you.

But yes, as far as getting your hair back to normal, like some here I recommend clarifying and then a deep moisturising treatment. Whenever you are not satisfied with a product, chances are the best thing to do is clarify and start over. It's like an eraser.

Tawnylioness
October 8th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Well, today i tried SMT..i was a little worried about the amounts and sure it would turn to disaster...but my hair is now dry and brushed and oh my god the shine! It feels nicer aswell, not as soft as i would like but still a whole lot better than before...and did i mention the shine?

I would like to do more of these, but how often?

krissykins
October 8th, 2011, 12:35 AM
I'd say once a week is a good start. :D I'm glad it's working so well for you! :joy:

AcornMystic
October 8th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Haha, that's what it was then. Your hair was craving moisture not protein. Now, when you do SMT's and you notice you aren't getting the same results, you will know it is time for a protein treatment (or at least to try) and then you'll just have to experiment to find which one your hair agrees with. If that never happens where you need one then consider yourself lucky. One less thing about your hair to gobble up money. XD

Good to know the mystery of your plight was successfully solved. :)