PDA

View Full Version : The "key" about SMT?

Buffy
October 6th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I hear every one raving about SMT. So i was thinking , what makes it so incredible, is the honey and the aloe gel? Do they make a world of a difference as opposed to using a conditioner on its own?

The reason i'm asking is that i can't for the life of me find an aloe gel. (If anyone lives in Greece and knows where i can, please let me know)

So could i use just conditioner and honey? Use conditioner on its own? Is there an alternative to aloe gel? Thank you girls :)

ssjhotau2
October 6th, 2011, 02:55 AM
I use just conditioner in my moisture treatments. A deep moisture conditioner that is cone free and doesn't advertise protein. The honey and aloe I didn't much like in the mix. I like to add vitamin E oil.

I use the same for Protein treatments. I buy a conditioner that says it has protein for extra strength (cone free) then add an egg to the mix and whip it up- then leave it on for a few hours or over night.

MinderMutsig
October 6th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Aloe and honey are humectants and help draw moisture in the hair. If you can't find commercial aloe you could always get an aloe plant and squeeze the gel out yourself for your SMT's. You could also try adding some glycerine or using just honey. If it works it works, if it doesn't you can always look for other solutions.

Alaia
October 6th, 2011, 03:56 AM
TBH when I first did SMTs the aloe didn't work for me, so I just put coconut oil instead (conditioner, honey and coconut oil :D ).

Now I have added the Aloe back in, but only in a tiny amount (and I also put quite a few oils including a couple of EOs for the scent).

MasCat
October 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM
It's very hard to find aloe gel in Poland, so I use aloe juice instead.

Buffy
October 6th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Thank you girls! Aloe gel is very difficult to find in Greece too! I'll try it without the aloe.

How do you find the honey? Do you like it? Because i've heard for some people it makes their hait feel weird/dry....

Buffy
October 6th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Any more opinions maybe? :o:o

HairFaerie
October 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I like adding coconut milk to my SMT. Not the juice, the thick milk. Also, I refrigerate it first so it gets solid which makes it easier to apply.
I have used it with honey too. I like the honey, it doesn't feel weird to me.
I am in the US and I get the aloe gel from the health food stores. It's the kind you can ingest. 100% pure. Maybe you could look in health food stores...

Just experiment with different things until you find a mixture that works for you. :)
Let us know how it goes!

MychelleC
October 6th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Aloe and honey are both very strong humectants, meaning they draw water from the atmosphere into the hair shaft. Some hair types respond very well to humectants, but frizzy-haired types will want to avoid them. With frizzy hair the cuticle is difficult to make lie flat, and it swells up with moisture. Humectants continually draw moisture into the hair, creating poufy and a "dry" feeling on frizzy heads. These types of humectants are usually best for dry straight or curly hair that is not prone to frizz. That is why some heads like honey and aloe and some find it makes their hair yucky! Also, aloe does contain a significant amount of sodium; while it is known for its moisturizing abilities, it is also used in surfactant systems because the salt helps to thicken. It is best used in small doses. HTH@

Buffy
October 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM
@ HairFaerie (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=30348) Thank you very much honey! I have to try and see i guess :):) I'll try what you suggested!

@MychelleC WOW!! You are an encyclopedia :henny:! Thank you so much!!! :cheer:

swetiepeti
October 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM
ordered mine from Amazon.com as even though I live in the states I have no local places to buy it from and I live in a large city. I'm sure it's here somewhere, but I've yet to run across it.... except with the green coloring and as a blond I steer clear of any colors.

I add a few drops of Argan oil and a few drops of Jojoba oil to my mix. I make up a triple batch at a time. BTW, if it curdles, just whip it smooth, it will actually stay on your hair better as it will be thicker.

Aveyronnaise
October 6th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I would re check a health food type store if you haven't been in for a while. They just started carrying it here sometime in the last 9 months . I think it is starting to 'hit' europe , though it's pricey here .

CurlyGirly
October 6th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I've just used honey with my conditioner and also have done honey rinses (honey mixed with water poured after conditioning) and have had really good results with both of those methods. The only thing with using just honey as a rinse is that I've heard it can lighten dark hair. I don't have dark hair so I didn't notice any change in my color, so I'm not sure whether or not that part is accurate.

swetiepeti
October 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I heat my honey to get rid of the natural peroxide generated by it. Peroxide is peroxide no matter the souce

sipnsun
October 6th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I also substitute aloe juice for gel. The gel makes my fine hair crunchy, but the juice does not. The juice is usually a little easier to find as well, sold in most pharmacies or vitamin stores. Also, the juice is 100% pure aloe, where as the gels I have found have unwanted ingredients.