PDA

View Full Version : Grey hair questions

Emerald88
October 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I am 41 and no grey yet, but I have some (probably dumb) questions. Did your existing hair "turn" grey or did new hair grow out as grey? I have some new growth that is courser & curlier than the rest of my hair, but it's the same color, not grey, so I was wondering if it's going to turn grey since it is so different from the rest of my hair? That may sound crazy - buy I won't know if I don't ask http://www.network54.com/Realm/Foxfour/hmmmsmiley.gif Also, is your grey hair texture or type different from your natural colored hair? Here is a picture I just took. It's hard to see becuase there are very few and I couldn't get the picture to show it well, but they are very different. At the middle top, you can see a curvy hair I stuck up on top of the straight and there are a few scattered through my bangs. I'm just wondering if this is a sign I'm going to start getting some greys.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/meowgoddess/2011-10-05_19-12-41_24.jpg

longhairedwolf
October 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
No such thing as a dumb question!

The hair grows out as grey. The existing hair doesn't change colour. I used to have some strands where the bottom was black and the top was grey. Some of my grey hairs are thicker and coarser than my normal hairs, while others are just like my regular hair. Not sure if your new hairs are harbingers of grey or not. Good luck and let us know once you find out!

julierockhead
October 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
My grey is coarser and wavier. I have found some hairs that abruptly turn grey mid-growth, and some just sprout up new. So maybe you will be getting some greys...but who knows, it might look great on you, and you can be a renegrey!

dulce
October 5th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I have curly hair so my grays and regular hairs come out curly and stick up initially, but once they grow they lie flat and blend with my other hair.I use a hair shine serum over the canopy to let the small ones just starting out lie flat and keep all my hair moisturized so the grays seem to blend in well.

dulce
October 5th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Some of my grays are finer and some coarser than my original hair so can't help you there.

Madora
October 5th, 2011, 07:48 PM
My greys appeared about age 50 and you could hardly see them. The greying process seemed to pick up a little more steam in early 2000. Most of my sparklies are fine but a few are coarse and they seem to be concentrated around my forehead. I had hoped my hair would turn a beautiful silver but doubt that's going to happen.

Sunshineliz
October 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have them where they come out gray and some that are brown on the ends and turn gray towards the top (and then there are those that vacillate between the two colors over and over.:rolleyes:) Texture-wise I used to think the grays were more wiry until I took a good look at all my hair. Nope, my short baby brown hairs were just as weird. I think I've just slowly gotten more wavy over time.

So whether your new curly hairs are indicating gray hair or not I can't say. Possibly you're just turning curly!:eyebrows: Or you simply have a few odd hairs?:shrug:

teela1978
October 5th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I find that grays and browns can start wavy/coarse, but they end up pretty much like my normal hair once they grow out a bit. Not sure if some of my browns just always came in that way and I just didn't notice them till I was paying more attention to my hair, or if they started to when I started graying. Not all my grays start out sticking straight up though.

mora
October 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I have some strands that seem to turn white after they started growing but I've also seen one that started out white even as a baby growth strand. They seem to all vary in texture in the same way as the dark hairs do.

akuamoonmaui
October 5th, 2011, 09:36 PM
My grays started coming in around 40. They were very inconspicuous at first. Now it's a definite thing I'm figuring out what to do with. The texture is very different - courser and wiry-ish.

mora
October 5th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I have them where they come out gray and some that are brown on the ends and turn gray towards the top (and then there are those that vacillate between the two colors over and over.:rolleyes:) Texture-wise I used to think the grays were more wiry until I took a good look at all my hair. Nope, my short baby brown hairs were just as weird. I think I've just slowly gotten more wavy over time.

So whether your new curly hairs are indicating gray hair or not I can't say. Possibly you're just turning curly!:eyebrows: Or you simply have a few odd hairs?:shrug:
Thanks for writing that! I have these too and was beginning to think it was an abnormality because I've not seen it mentioned before. There have been white strands in my hair since high school, well over 10 years ago, but they haven't really taken over like I thought they would. I used to think they just shed faster than the others but when I looked closer I noticed some of them were vacillating as you described. Right now, I have one that is white for several inches at the bottom but then black all the way to the root (as far as I can tell).

Columbia River
October 5th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I'm starting to grey too. What I have found interesting are these coarse curly level 2 shade strands popping up in my fine straight level 5 color hair...what's up with that?

Emerald88
October 6th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the responses. I guess time will tell. I take after my Dad and he didn't get any noticable grey until after 50. I have always had natural blonde highlights on the sides right above my ears, but the last 8 years my hair has gotten darker in color overall. I think I will probably start greying on the sides first when the lighter shades have always been.