PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU stop breakage?

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I know there are many different methods to stopping breakage, but im sure many of us have tried them all and found some to work better than others for our specific hair types.
I myself, have fine hair, so i find oilings and putting it up, actually helps my ends.
And i get REALLY horrible breakage, anywhere from 1/2 to a full inch of hair, breaking off. Thats from both having fine hair and hair that has been chemically damaged and heat damaged.

What methods have you found, stopped breakage or helped assist your hair away from breakage the most?

Sorry if this thread has already been made, but i searched and nothing came up for me. Thank you all you lovely LHC's <3

Cassie 123
October 5th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I wish I knew for sure if I was doing something to cause breakage. I've abolished all the usual suspects but I still have substantial wispies at the sides of my face.

Rocket22
October 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I guess I'm gonna have to say stopping bleach and heat styling. I used to brush out my hair and I could see 100's of little hairs breaking off if the sun light was just right in the bathroom. I actually thought this must be normal because it always happened. But after joining and giving up all the chemical processing and heat styling I can brush out my hair and not a single hair will break off. (well maybe a single one every now and then) but seriously it is a huge! difference.

I too have very very fine hair.

lacefrost
October 5th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Taking my time detangling. Taking sections of hair and patiently working my way from ends to roots.

Madora
October 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Wearing it up. Avoiding ponytails as much as possible. Not pulling back hair tightly.

Most importantly, detangling slowly and gently with a wide tooth comb. I always start at the ends of the hair and work slowly up the strands. If I find any snarls, I use my fingers to undo the snarl.

I also firmly believe that if you hold your comb lightly and comb slowly, it is much better for your hair. Detangling is not merely a question of combing down your strands willy nilly. Gentle detangling takes time..but your hair reaps the rewards.

jujube
October 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I think I have to be more careful when detangling.

SheeJee
October 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM
For me, using coney serums and oils helps me in detangling = less breakage. And any time I use a brush/detangle quickly with a wide tooth comb, I always hear snaps and breakage! So just going slowly and using oils and serums and bunning my hair as much as possible (even though I usually wear my hair down) has helped to reduce breakage.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 5th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I guess I'm gonna have to say stopping bleach and heat styling. I used to brush out my hair and I could see 100's of little hairs breaking off if the sun light was just right in the bathroom. I actually thought this must be normal because it always happened. But after joining and giving up all the chemical processing and heat styling I can brush out my hair and not a single hair will break off. (well maybe a single one every now and then) but seriously it is a huge! difference.

I too have very very fine hair.
TOTALLY. Ive given those things up, and in this past month or two my hair is in MUCH better condition. I dont notice growth, though I do have an inch of new roots, but I do not seem to be catching any breakage. ;) Makes me feel a little more hopeful.

Vanilla
October 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I found that tying my hair up in a silk scarf really aids in less breakage. I was finding little blonde hairs on my pillow all the time. I haven't found one this whole week since I started.

mora
October 5th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I never really did them for long enough to notice a difference, but some have reported that catnip treatments (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118) strengthen hair and reduce breakage.

Littlewing13
October 6th, 2011, 05:46 AM
back a few years ago I was platinum, no products worked except for Kerastase resistance range. If i'd stop using it, my hair would start to break again. & obviously bleach & irons do damage so if u wanna grow, u gotta give up both! at least for the most part

AlexDig
September 28th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I find that an aloe vera and raw honey mask really helps with both breakage and shedding for me. I put it on wet hair, cover with a shower cap and towel, and leave on for about an hour before rinsing off.

Edelweiss
September 28th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Wearing my hair up, definitely !