PDA

View Full Version : I went from loving my hair to hating it... My hair story: advice/input needed!

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hi everyone! I just joined LHC not too long ago after lurking for a long time

Let me tell you about my hair:

Naturally, I have very bouncy and fluffy (but not frizzy) light neutral brown hair with warm highlights. The texture is straight at the top, with very loose spirals at the bottom. It's fine, very soft, and I always had a good amount of hair. I liked my hair but felt it was a little plain.

And so the story begins...

3 years ago I began highlighting my hair. I went through ups and downs but finally found a colour and stylist that I loved, and got my roots re-highlighted approximately every 4 months. I only got partial highlights (meaning that only the top was highlighted while the underside remained light brown). My hair wasn't terribly damaged (because I've always been good with proper hair care and rarely heat styled) but pieces in the front that had been highlighted multiple times felt rather thin and were breaking off at the ends.

Last December, I got sick of getting roots and constantly feeling like I had split ends, so I decided to dye it brown with a demi-permanent dye, and cut it off to my shoulders. Uh oh :brains:

I left my hair alone until around June (6 months later), when the brown colour had faded mostly, and I was left with a nice ombre effect due to 3 inches of roots. Predictably, the beginning of summer was giving me a bad case of highlight envy. Instead of going to the hairdresser's, I purchased some John Freida Go Blonder Controlled Lightening spray (kind of like Sun-In, but it is made to be used with a flatiron/blowdryer). I used that several times on my length and ends, and while it did lighten my highlighted parts nicely, it gave my natural-coloured roots a strange orange-y/brassy tinge. A month later, in an attempt to remedy the colour of my roots, I decided to dye my hair 'light golden blonde' allover on top (I never dye the underside)...from a box. Bad idea

My hair turned a vibrant, sunny shade of blonde, but it was incredibly one-dimensional and lacked the depth and variation I had grown accustomed to from my $200 salon highlights. To make matters worse, some pieces in the front of my hair were FRIED (all strange and zig-zaggy with NO moisture to speak of). They irritated me so much that I cut them off (now I have a chunk at my very hairline, about one-third the thickness of bangs, that is half an inch long. Yes, basically like a buzz cut)

A week later, I had my hair fixed at the hairdresser's. He applied a warm light brown allover the blonde and wove highlights in between them. I asked him to make the highlights starts about an inch away from my roots.

So now, my hair is at APL and doesn't have any damage at the ends and still feels remarkably soft (suprisingly!). However, I have that little buzzed section at the front of my hair. I now part my hair on the opposite side in order to disguise that area. Also, my hair become a bit thinner than it used to be. I never had tons of hair, but I definitely had more stands than I do now.

I have half an inch of regrowth from getting it coloured a month ago, which looks very ashy compared to the warm base colour my hair was dyed in order to cover the blonde.

So the dilemma..WHAT ON EARTH DO I DO WITH MY HAIR?!

I loved the look of my blonde hair and sometimes I literally cry over what has happened to it.. I used to have BSL hair in a gorgeous blonde shade, and now I have APL light brown hair with something like a bald spot in the front.

I'm a senior in high school, so I can't really sit at home and cry about it forever. I have prom, graduation, and a trip to Montreal that I need to look good for! Thankfully, I have about 6 months until the first 'highly photographed' event.

I really want to return to blonde when the buzz cut section grows to the length of bangs, but reading about everyone growing out their natural makes me so envious of that natural shine and moisture that virgin hair has. I really am in a pickle :thudpile:

I've been thinking of growing my hair until the buzzed section is to my eyebrows, then going back for highlights and living a normal life again :p

Obviously, a story like this needs photographic evidence. My avatar is my hair currently, and here are some photos of my hair that will help you understand the story:

1 year ago: My old, lovely blonde hair

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/292091_287489221263604_100000075848788_1161611_105 9569430_n.jpg

My friends and I were taking ridiculous photos, so excuse how silly I look in this next one http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319110_287489171263609_100000075848788_1161609_792 714569_n.jpg

3 years ago: My natural hair colour (excuse the braces, I was a freshman :D)

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v649/129/2/624840385/n624840385_6101289_4706696.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/297636_287488987930294_100000075848788_1161606_923 301439_n.jpg

Now: The 'buzz cut' (trust me, it really was necessary, that hair was SO dead!)

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/309702_287050057974187_100000075848788_1160766_130 9149898_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/293523_287050444640815_100000075848788_1160767_102 7429206_n.jpg

My roots (now)

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/320113_287050847974108_100000075848788_1160768_600 384893_n.jpg

My thin braid (now) http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319934_287051141307412_100000075848788_1160769_111 0666705_n.jpg

PS. I am currently applying 2% Monistat (started about a week ago) and it HAS sped up my hair growth :grin: I take biotin, vitamin E, and a multivitamin daily. My regular growth rate is 1/2" per month, hopefully I can speed it up to 1" a month with the Monistat! I use Mane n' Tail Shampoo and Conditioner about twice a week. I use coconut oil and jojoba oil on my length all the time, and scalp occasionally.

Basically, what it boils down to is:
1) My hair looks awful right now to me :( I honestly despise it
2) I'm stuck between colours- should I go back to blonde or try to grow out my natural colour? Give me an opinion on which colour you think looks better :)

Honestly, I truly feel like blonde suits my personality and style better. I was put off by the slight damage my highlights caused, but I feel like even when I grow out completely virgin hair I won't be happy with it :confused:

ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS APPRECIATED! Thank you SO much for reading this thread (I can only imagine how long it took :p)

I will say, however, that I intend on sticking to a fairly conventional haircare routine. I can't CO wash my hair because I work out often and don't feel that conditioner cleans my hair well (plus, it doesn't really agree with my scalp)

Let me know if any part of the story is unclear or needs clarification. Thanks again! :love:

islandboo
October 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I prefer your natural color, but if the blonde makes you happy, that is what matters. And the good thing about hair is that it grows, even when it has been buzzed off. You seem to really be happiest with the blonde color so I might concentrate on finding ways to keep the highlights in their best health - parhaps with oling and SMTs? I am afraid I am not much help since I know very little about coloring hair, but I want to wish you luck working it all out :flower:

Alvrodul
October 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
My recommendations? The fist one is to keep all chemical far, far away from your hair. For now, at least. Your hair simply needs time to recover. and in the meantime, I would recommend that you pamper you hair, give it protein (if it likes proteins, that is - some people's hair can't stand protein) and moisture. For the last, I heartily recommend SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)s. You might also consider trying out oils - one oils that most kinds of hair likes, is coconut oil. It has the added benefit of helping to prevent protein loss.
You may also consider trying cassia (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406). It will give a golden glow to your hair, as well as help condition it - and it is not permanent. It will wash out in 2-4 weeks.

AnqeIicDemise
October 5th, 2011, 03:19 PM
The only problem I see, mainly because I have no clue what the original hair color was and the lighting is off on some of the pictures, is the little patch of hair that's short as pie.

mm.. pie.

Anyhow, I had something similar happen. In May-June (I think it was June) I tried turning on my grill, wound up with a fire ball and singed a crap ton of my hair. When it was shorter, I could hide the damage very easily but now that its been months and the damage is obvious. I got tufts of hair on the right side much shorter than on the left that love to curl.

I cut a fringe in.

It isn't thick, I left the strands long and I made sure to have the side-swept look gong from left to right. Ideally, my hair splits to the left but the damage is on the right. Having to retrain bangs is a pain in the butt, but its working. My biggest annoyance right now is dealing with the cowlick that makes my bangs flip to the left instead of staying put. Thankfully I had the idea to let them be long enough to tuck behind my ear. That in itself is a life saver.

Your hair color is beautiful.

Your braid, while thin, is far from the thinnest braid I've ever seen.

The mini buzz is hideable.

Keep with the oiling, and for the love of the gods, step away from the box of dyes. If you want to color, go to the professionals to avoid further disasters.

Virgin hair is not for everyone. What is the point of having virgin, hip length, no layered hair if that isnt' what you want? You need to find a balance between what you like (i.e. coloring) and what you ultimately want to achieve (hair length, etc.).

There are times I want the single layer, one color, virgin look... but the truth of the matter is I like my fun, wild colors and that isnt' going to happen. So as long as my hair is *healthy* and to a length I can very much adore as well as manage, I'm happy.

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Thank you for the replies! I will most definitely try an SMT, everyone raves about them so much!
I think my hair is alright with protein, but too much does indeed make it brittle and prone to breakage.

I'm still trying to decide between blonde and brown...
I loved the way the blonde shone in the sunlight, and it suits my bubbly personality more. I definitely got more attention as a blonde :ponder:

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 03:25 PM
The only problem I see, mainly because I have no clue what the original hair color was and the lighting is off on some of the pictures, is the little patch of hair that's short as pie.

mm.. pie.

Anyhow, I had something similar happen. In May-June (I think it was June) I tried turning on my grill, wound up with a fire ball and singed a crap ton of my hair. When it was shorter, I could hide the damage very easily but now that its been months and the damage is obvious. I got tufts of hair on the right side much shorter than on the left that love to curl.

I cut a fringe in.

It isn't thick, I left the strands long and I made sure to have the side-swept look gong from left to right. Ideally, my hair splits to the left but the damage is on the right. Having to retrain bangs is a pain in the butt, but its working. My biggest annoyance right now is dealing with the cowlick that makes my bangs flip to the left instead of staying put. Thankfully I had the idea to let them be long enough to tuck behind my ear. That in itself is a life saver.

Your hair color is beautiful.

Your braid, while thin, is far from the thinnest braid I've ever seen.

The mini buzz is hideable.

Keep with the oiling, and for the love of the gods, step away from the box of dyes. If you want to color, go to the professionals to avoid further disasters.

Virgin hair is not for everyone. What is the point of having virgin, hip length, no layered hair if that isnt' what you want? You need to find a balance between what you like (i.e. coloring) and what you ultimately want to achieve (hair length, etc.).

There are times I want the single layer, one color, virgin look... but the truth of the matter is I like my fun, wild colors and that isnt' going to happen. So as long as my hair is *healthy* and to a length I can very much adore as well as manage, I'm happy.

Your use of the word 'tuft' made me giggle :grin:

The buzz was a tuft a few weeks ago (before I decided to cut it even shorter to get rid of the hair colour remaining on it)

I agree, it really is about finding a balance. The grass always seems greener on the other side though, so tough :mad:

And here's a photo of my natural hair colour: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-ash1/v649/129/2/624840385/n624840385_6101288_7377130.jpg

Thank you for sharing your experience, glad to hear I'm not alone in this!

xoxophelia
October 5th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I strongly prefer your virgin color on you. I think if you grew that out you could even work in some slightly more golden highlights around your face for a bighter hair color but to keep the damage to a minimum.

If your hair is really damaged right now would be a good time to give no chemicals or heat styling a try. You could plan on keeping up that routine for three months until you have more roots and then deciding what to do? You could then take a semipermanent color and cover your highlights to go back to your natural color OR decide on doing the ombre thing for awhile.

Mutinous
October 5th, 2011, 03:35 PM
If you have 6 months before a highly photographed event, I would just leave it and let it rest for a while. That way you can pamper it without damaging it further whilst you decide. Though, by the sounds of it you really like the blonde. Maybe do a pro and con list for both colours?

MsBubbles
October 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I would recommend deciding on a plan to get through your 'highly photographed event' :), and then after that deciding on the long-term hair color. Your natural color is very pretty, suits your skin, and you braid looks fine to me, not thin - especially in such a nicely done french braid! 6 months should be plenty of time to grow out that short, damaged patch to where it blends with the rest.

spidermom
October 5th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Avoid chemical color until the old fried stuff grows out and is cut off. Your natural color is very pretty, so rock it for awhile.

You will soon be able to incorporate the buzzed area into some bangs/face-framing fringe, I'd guess within 2-4 months. Meanwhile, there are clip-on bangs you might like to try or ways of directing your hair to cover this area. That's really unfortunate; I'm sorry it happened.

Once you have enough grow-out to cut off the damaged bits, you can do the highlights again if you want. You do look really pretty with them.

RubyEmpress
October 5th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I love your natural hair color! My opinion would be let your natural hair grow out all winter/spring. By then you should have enough hair growth to tell if you want to keep up with your natural color. If you decide you want to go back to being blonde at least your hair had all winter to recover with be ready to handle the bleach.

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Thank you all for your input :flower:

Mutinous, I really think a pro/con list should be created :p I felt like I had lots of splits (though in reality I would only find 10 or so when S&Ding every month) as a blonde, but looking back it was my dream hair

Hopefully the buzz grows quickly! It really makes me want to :thud:

Rocket22
October 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Sounds a lot like my story. I would leave it alone for a bit and let it get healthy, then figure out what is most important. I too struggle with the blond issue. I love being blond but I also want beautiful long healthy hair so somehow I have to come with an answer for both :) I'm thinking just a few highlights around face might work for both of us :)

Kristamommyx3
October 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Hi!
You and I have identical hair, skin and eye color! Also, I have been through everything you are currently going through, except I've never had breakage quite that way. Same story of " I think my virgin color is boring, so I want to be blonde, nah, blonde is getting old with all of the root touch ups I'll go brown again...ack! Wrong color! ". My advice to you is to go back to your natural color, because it is very beautiful. I am aiming to do the same. Actually, seeing your natural color further solidifies my choice to keep growing and never ever bleach again. There are many, many bottle blondes out there, but few with natural bouncy warm brown locks. <3

jennescence
October 5th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Let it be natural!

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Rocket22 and Kristamommyx3, it's a tough life isn't it! I'm convinced that those with light brown hair have the strongest desires to colour their hair

I always feel like my natural colour isn't eye-catching enough

Here's another photo (excuse everything wrong with it- the pose, the outfit, the fact that my friend an I were taking pictures of ourselves for lack of anything better to do...I was 14 here :p)

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1976/129/2/624840385/n624840385_5590638_496.jpg

AnqeIicDemise
October 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Sounds a lot like my story. I would leave it alone for a bit and let it get healthy, then figure out what is most important. I too struggle with the blond issue. I love being blond but I also want beautiful long healthy hair so somehow I have to come with an answer for both :) I'm thinking just a few highlights around face might work for both of us :)

In my dream world, I would have vibrant purple hair, or perhaps black and red candy striped coiffure. The truth is I also want it superbly long and chances are (I already see it now) the breakage would keep it from getting much longer than waist.

:(

So I am content with my streaks and have to remember that the bleached sections are thinner and more delicate.Both of you ladies can come up with a nice alternative. Its just a matter of finding that balance. :D

Cassie 123
October 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM
It looks like nobody has yet recommended the Honey Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=237414&postcount=1964), which discusses a less-damaging way of lightening the hair a shade, somewhat gradually, using diluted honey and spices. It won't give you professional-type highlights, but it is a lot cheaper and kinder to your hair.

Kristamommyx3
October 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Let me tell you that if you grew that hair out to waist length, you would be stopped all day long with compliments! I live in Florida, so blonde is over done here at the beach. Your color is worth growing out, and getting maybe a few honey colored highlights just for fun.

AnnaJamila
October 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM
One more vote for natural color! I thought is suited your skin tone better. And it's not flat or drab or anything like that; I think you might just have a case of the grass-is-greener's. ;)

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Wow, you guys are very persuasive :p upon starting this thread, I was positive that I wanted to keep the blonde, but decided to be open-minded and see what others had to say. I must admit, having my hair my natural colour is looking more and more tempting now...

Rocket22
October 5th, 2011, 05:18 PM
This sight has many wonderful hair colors to look through and you will see that light brown or dark blond can be stunning too. Someone posted it when I first joined and I too was sad about letting go of all my blond. I thought the same thing, no punch........ but it really helped me. Also what helped was seeing all the different beautiful darker hair that people posted. Not saying I won't put highlights in EVER again but if I did it would be very very minimal.

http://www.boxno216.com/

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Oh my gosh, Rocket22, I was on that site just a few weeks ago! I would absolutely do anything to have my hair look like any of those models, Johnny Ramirez is TRULY a magician with hair colour :magic:

Your hair colour is lighter than mine however, I am not in the 'is it blonde or brown?' territory naturally. My natural colour is *officially* light brown

Your natural colour is gorgeous, however! If it were mine this decision would be much easier :)

Rocket22
October 5th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Oh my gosh, Rocket22, I was on that site just a few weeks ago! I would absolutely do anything to have my hair look like any of those models, Johnny Ramirez is TRULY a magician with hair colour :magic:

Your hair colour is lighter than mine however, I am not in the 'is it blonde or brown?' territory naturally. My natural colour is *officially* light brown

Your natural colour is gorgeous, however! If it were mine this decision would be much easier :)

Oh I'm pretty brown. Have you gone through my albums? :)hahaha I think the most accurate photo of my hair color is the one that says something about growing out highlights. It has the top layer pulled up so you can see the underside which is virgin. I had been only highlighting the top layer for the last couple of years before I completely quit last year.

yeah I loved that site it has amazing hair.

MsBubbles
October 5th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Wow, thanks for posting that link, Rocket22! My hair must be very chic these days, roots and all. Just need to remember to attempt those spirally waves (which should hold all of five minutes on me). Very persuasive photos of darker roots and more natural looking hair color.

terryn
October 5th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I say, if you really love the blonde, then go for it. I love both colors on you, but i really think the most important thing is having a color you are happy with. I agree with what everyone else has said about just leaving chemicals out of the equation for the time being, until your hair is healthy enough to stand up to color treatments. It is definitely possible to grow long and have color treatments, you just need to be baby your hair more to keep it from getting so severely damaged again.

tanpopokitty
October 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Oh your freshman picture is so cute! Actually, your natural hair color is my dream hair color, hahaha. I could never pull it off though! :p I think it's very soft and pretty. I say try to keep your natural around at least for a year, and then if you still want blonde - go for it!

lizdini
October 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM
If you have 6 months before a highly photographed event, I would just leave it and let it rest for a while. That way you can pamper it without damaging it further whilst you decide. Though, by the sounds of it you really like the blonde. Maybe do a pro and con list for both colours?

This! Exactly what I was gonna say!:D

lacefrost
October 5th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I like both blond and virgin. I imagine that at hip, the ends of you hair would be blond.

At any rate, I suggest you stay away from dye for awhile, grow out your damage. Decide if you do truly prefer your hair blond. If you do, dye it blond sparingly (like how you had only the top blond) and try not to change your mind too much. Once you do blond, stay blond and away from chemical dye. If you want different colors, you can do Manic Panic or Special Effects. But I think it's the going back in forth from brown to blond to brown again that's hurt your hair so much.

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Rocket22, maybe you are closer to my natural colour than I thought :)

Tanpopokitty, thanks! Though looking back I must say I feel like I looked pretty silly

terryn and lizdini, I agree with what you said about making my hair healthy again, the poor thing really does need a break!

lacefrost, you're absolutely right. My hair wasn't very damaged at all when I had my regular highlights every several months, because I only got my roots redone.

Saw this photo of myself and now am really being swayed back to this 'blonde side', ack!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/34158_440080126797_503131797_5705559_4063221_n.jpg

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 5th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I dont really actually like you blonde.
Lol, i think what would actually look nicer is light highlights to frame your face, but not full on blonde highlights all over. You know what I mean?

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Hmm, maybe. I think I would have to grow out my natural hair quite a bit to test that out, but I see what you're saying :)

Springlets
October 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I think your natural light brown harmonizes so much better with your skin and eyes. The blonde washes you out, at least in the picture you posted, in my humble opinion.

But I know very well that it is your own opinion that matters much more than anyone else's. I bet you would look really great with balyage or ombre hair. Like Giselle Bundchen's hair?
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYgYCtYccfpvspLuk0d7iX1TqgF4IlN cgDkQa7EF2oTofkMiuepw

Then you'd be both blonde and brown! Super hair! ;)

But, that's my opinion of what you should do when your hair has gotten healthy again. It probably needs a break right now. You said the roots look very ashy compared to the dye? That's normal, dye is ALWAYS more warm toned than natural hair. Would you prefer a more warm, goldeny brown? Perhaps you should try a henna gloss or cassia treatment (though the cassia might not have a color effect). But both of those would strengthen your hair and give it a nice gloss.

Hope that helps!

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Thank you for sharing your opinion, Springlets :flowers:

I agree, Gisele's hair is gorgeous! I love how her roots have that natural gloss of virgin hair, but she still has the brightness of blonde. Now if only I could track down her colourist and get him to do my hair free of charge :D

I never really noticed, but I do look a little pale in the blonde photo. It was never an issue for me, I'm going to have to assume it was the outdoor lighting- always made my hair a few notches brighter.

I'd be a little hesitant to try henna, but I've heard good things about honey lightening. Might be worth looking into once my hair grows a little longer.

Thank you for the advice :)

Flying Penguin
October 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I really like your natural hair color! I agree with those who said to grow out your natural color and maybe get a few face-framing highlights if you are really itching for some highlights. The sideswept bangs are really cute, too. :)

AshNight1214
October 5th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I would say to go back to your natural color. It's gorgeous and looks like it would return to health. I find that blonde hair hides damage better and your hair will be less damaged when you aren't dyeing it. On a side note, you're very pretty. :)

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Flying Penguin, thank you! All this love for my natural hair colour is making me think I'll probably like it more when it grows out. As for the side bangs, a softer version will most likely return when I am in the process of growing out this darn short piece!

AshNight, thank you for the compliment :) I think you're right about the blonde hiding damage, I felt like I had split ends when my hair was blonde, but looking back I don't see much damage at the ends at all :ponder:

excentricat
October 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I too prefer your natural color. Show the world that blonde's aren't the only ones who can be bright and bubbly.

Kathie
October 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Yet another vote for natural over here!
I've use to have bleach-foils put through the top portion of my hair so that it was a nice blond, well actually all sorts of shades of blond :P Anyways, I understand how natural hair color can seem a little drab in comparison. But! A full head of natural hair looks a lot different from a head of hair that was blond and then dyed to match the roots.

Me, I'm now a fan of natural glossy locks.

Yozhik
October 5th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I think you should go with what you're comfortable with. :)

I'm all for natural hair, but in the end, you should be happy with your hair.

Also, I thought it was interesting to note that you must identify pretty strongly with being a blond because of your username. ;)

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Thank you everyone for your input!

I see natural haircolour is the crowd favourite, which I shouldn't find surprsing since you're all longhairs :)

Yozhik, I really do! Blonde ambition over here :grin:

growingpains
October 5th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Color wise, I don't think it matters what you do, both colors look nice. I personally slightly prefer natural.

That said, damage wise, you just seriously need to avoid more damage like the plague. Either leave it as it is and cope with the roots, or get the roots and ONLY the roots done lighter right before your photos to match your current length. Or, dye the whole thing your natural color at a salon in a few months. Whatever you do, do not get your entire head done blonder... I think to do so would seriously compromise the integrity of your hair.

My vote is to let the short bits grow out until your big events. A couple weeks before the events either make a decision: 1) leave alone; 2) get roots done to match length; 3) demi or semi the length the color of your roots.

Good luck!!

eshta
October 6th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I'm not much help on the chemical dye stuff, I've not touched chemicals in years.
But I just wanted to cast another vote for your natural color, it's lovely and compliments your undertones MUCH better than the blonde (makes you look very pale). In the end all that matters is what makes you feel good and happy :flower:

I would keep up with the monistat on the front short piece, in 6 months you should def. be able to pin it back for up-do's. I sometimes super boost my SMT with a tsp of coconut oil, might be worth a try if your hair is dry and damaged.

Rosetta
October 6th, 2011, 03:35 AM
So many have already said this, but I too prefer your natural colour on you :)
But then, who am I to say, as I also struggle very much between dyeing (not blonde though but hennaing, or otherwise dyeing red or darker) and growing natural... ;)
As has also been said, what matters is what you think and feel, it's your hair; so if you are happiest as blonde, e.g. the honey lightening method someone mentioned would be worth a look.

I'm convinced that those with light brown hair have the strongest desires to colour their hair
Actually, it seems to be those with dark blonde, especially dark ash blonde, according to what I've noticed ;) (I'm dark ash blonde myself.)
There was a very interesting thread a while ago, where most of those who dye were dark ash blondes (or ash browns): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30733

ETA: I just noticed you had recently posted on that very same thread, so ignore this ;)

Well, the dyes salons use actually have the same chemicals (practically the same ingredients) as box dyes...

Avital88
October 6th, 2011, 03:36 AM
the pictures with the braces!! you look sooo cute and pretty, i really think your natural haircolor looks best on you. i'm sorry about the trouble you have with your hair right now, the ebst advice i ever got was: Don't mess with your hair too much, it will not become prettier over time.(this means heat/bleach/dye) i think you should just let the dye grow out and go back to natural,you will get great head of hair again..
And i'm not only saying this because i like healthy long hair, i think its the color that suits best your complexion.

kidari
October 6th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I think that the problems started when you tried to fix your color at home by yourself. I understand and I went through the same thing years ago. I'm naturally a dark brown and I used to have a full head of foil highlights with all the hair not in the foil dyed to a medium brown color- you can imagine the maintenance, right?! I had to go in every 4 weeks for a touch up that cost a car payment but then my colorist would alternate every other or third time to do the highlights and just touch up my roots with the medium brown dye. You're really lucky that your base color is so light you can get away with being blonde with less chemicals and less touch ups. I completely agree with people who say you should do ombre highlights. Also if you want to go darker back to your natural color, it's a lot easier to stomach if you take it in steps. Gradually get less highlights done, get demi-permanent colors put in slightly darker each time and allow yourself to get used to it. Personally, when I went dark again I felt so much relief. Now I purposefully dye it darker, I went completely the opposite way! It's all about what you want, what makes you happy, and taking baby steps to get there. You should allow the roots to grow in and leave it alone and see if you like the more ombre look and if your natural color appeals to you. In the meantime, get regular small trims, stay away from heat styling, and do weekly treatments like SMTs and don't forget to clarify!

Issmene
October 6th, 2011, 04:17 AM
As already said you could cover the buzzed area with clip-on bangs or headbands, hats, scarfs whatever. I have no tips on how to make it grow faster, but I hope it does. As long as you treat it well, it will probably.
Oh and by the way, I like your natural hair color, it looks very nice on you :)

celebriangel
October 6th, 2011, 06:37 AM
This is all just my opinion:

I don't like dyed blonde hair at all. I think the colour looks flat compared to the lustre, vibrancy and changeability of one's natural colour. Blonde hair is totally overdone - half the population has it! and to my eyes it almost always looks damaged and dry.

There is a charm all its own to natural hair colour if the hair is well cared-for. Almost everyone has natural highlights and lowlights, and colours which change under different lights. I think that *long* hair, even more than blonde hair, will give you the *wow* factor you are looking for.

I say this as someone who has chemically dyed her hair red (then henna'd it) for years...but I have come around to the idea of natural. It took time to get out of the mode of thinking that my natural hair colour was dull and boring and unflattering, mostly because I'd been told that by my mum, but now that I have I can't wait to have a head of loooooong light ash brown hair.

I don't see it often, but when I see long natural hair I have to restrain the urge to gape.

luxepiggy
October 6th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Oh I love you as a blonde! You look so bright and peppy (^(oo)^)v

May I suggest looking into transitioning from allover highlights to slices? You'll end up with a similar effect, especially if the stylist puts the first 2 slices right at the front framing your face. One of the benefits of doing slices is that it's much easier to pick out the same sections and lighten only the re-growth as it occurs, rather than redoing highlights over the entire head. That should help cut down on damage.

Oksana
October 6th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I'm a total blonde lover :p but even so, your natural color really does suit you the best. But, if you are more comfortable with being a blonde then that is the option you should take.

Most people here do prefer the 'natural' look but i have also noticed that the main advise from members is to enjoy your hair :)

invisiblebabe
October 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Actually, it seems to be those with dark blonde, especially dark ash blonde, according to what I've noticed ;) (I'm dark ash blonde myself.)

Yep, dark ash blonde naturally, also, and I've been coloring my hair since I was 13!

To the OP: You have "blondie" in your screen name, so I think it's obvious what you prefer on yourself :) It's probably best for you to wait on coloring it again until the damage grows out more, but you could definitely go back to the blonde highlights once your hair is healthier again. The side bangs work well in hiding the short section, too.

blondie9912
October 6th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Thank you all for your replies :flowers:

kidari, that's really good advice. I agree, I'm going to be growing out my hair for at least three inches of roots (will take anywhere from 3-6 months, depends on this Monistat!)
That way I'll be able to see if I want to stay natural or go back to blonde.

Celibriangel, I see what you're saying. Blonde DOES tend to be quite overdone, it's so hard to get away from it though! My colourist once spilled to me that putting someone on highlights is like getting them addicted to drugs :D

Luxepiggy, thank you for the compliment! When I was a blonde people always told me it suited my personality since I'm very upbeat and happy. About the slices, I think that's something like what I have now near my face, but I must admit I preferred the thinner, allover effect of traditional highlights.

Oksana, maybe you're right. It's such a tough decision :/ But I agree, like one poster said, you can have the most 'ideal' LHC hair- long, healthy, and natural coloured, but if that isn't what you want, you'll never be happy.

blondie9912
October 6th, 2011, 02:13 PM
PS. I edited in some more photos to the first post, for those of you who didn't see them here they are:

Natural hair colour: http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/297636_287488987930294_100000075848788_1161606_923 301439_n.jpg

Blonde, 1 year ago: http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/292091_287489221263604_100000075848788_1161611_105 9569430_n.jpg

Stupid face (my friends and I were fooling around) but still blonde, one year ago:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319110_287489171263609_100000075848788_1161609_792 714569_n.jpg

Impressive roots before I decided to get rid of the blonde in December: http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305788_287489197930273_100000075848788_1161610_212 2186961_n.jpg

Hopefully these additional photos help you guys decide! I don't think the old one did the blond any justice, I really DO look quite pale in it

Rocket22
October 6th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I'm still voting for natural with the blond pieces in the front and maybe a few on the top. I think you can have the best of both worlds there. You will still look blond. Matter of fact your thread has helped me decided that is for sure what I want to do (just my front) I too love my blond :) but I'm still going to wait and get my hair as long and healthy as possible.

xoxophelia
October 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Now even more so than before I think your natural color is stunning on you! At least if you have a period being darker before deciding to go back to blonde, you know you look good.

blondie9912
October 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Rocket22, I think that would look lovely on you! You have a similar hair colour to my friend, who has the same 'growing out strategy' that you do. I love the ombre you have now, I think your natural hair colour is juuust light enough to be affected by the sun. Mine's a touch too dark, and I never really got blonde highlights from the sun like you and my friend do, my hair just became more golden

xoxophelia, thank you :) Maybe I'll learn to like my natural colour as much as you do as my hair grows out more

Teresa9000
October 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM
You've received some great advice from others so far, so I just want to put in my comment on your hair color. First of all, I'd go with whatever ultimately makes you the happiest, of course! That being said, your natural color looks really close to my natural color (I don't have any good outside lighting pics, though), if not slightly lighter than mine. (ETA: lets see if this link works. Here is a good representation of my natural color, using a flash and indoors: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2329&pictureid=115442. It's a bit more golden in sunlight, though.) I actually really like my natural color, so whenever I start to think about going blonde again, I focus on what I like about my hair color (and on how much I hate waiting around for the coloring process to be done). What I like most about my natural hair color is my natural golden brown highlights, and the golden shine it has in good lighting. The main character in a book I read, Hawksong, has golden brown hair, and the description in the book made me really love the gold in my hair. It looks like your natural hair has the same golden brown colors in it (Sorry if you did say this when describing your natural color in your first post. I actually read through all 6 pages of posts and have forgotten some of the details from your original post.). If you do decide to keep your natural color, maybe you could focus on something like that to get you through those days when you really crave to be blonde again.

Also, you said your natural color that's growing out seems ashy compared to the blonde parts. Someone already responded to that, but I also had the same problem when I started growing out henna. My roots almost looked grey from a distance until my natural color was at my ears. The easiest thing for me was to pull it back (ponytail, half-up, French braid, French twist, etc.) and ignore it until I had enough natural color to keep it from looking so ashy (and the henna eventually faded somehow, since I was not reapplying it or doing henna glosses).

I love your natural color and think it balances well with your skin tone and eyes, but you can also pull off blonde well! Whichever you choose, good luck! :)

blondie9912
October 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I haven't been natural in quite some time, but I did really like blonde. It wasn't broke, I shouldn't have tried to fix it!

And the link does work, your hair is very healthy! It looks great :) I think mine is, indeed, a touch lighter, and I also think I have a warmer undertone that your hair does in that photo. Strange that I say that and also think my roots look ashy :D

I feel so guilty for wanting to be blonde again! Argh

Springlets
October 6th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I know I've already given my opinion, but I had to comment on the new pictures.

You seriously look so much cuter and bubblier in the natural hair picture. Also more modelish (many of them seem to have natural hair! maybe not the super super models...). Hair color can affect even how features look and the natural hair color enhances yours the best. I take back what I said about the blonde making you look pale. What's funny is that your skin is more pale in the natural hair picture, yet still complements it greatly. Your skin is more tan in the blonde pictures, but the hair color washes you out... it just doesn't make your features stand out the way your natural color does.

Sorry, those are just my observations. I'm not even the type who thinks that natural hair color always suits best, but in your case, that is definitely what I think. Who says only blondes can be bubbly?! ;)

blondie9912
October 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Thank you, Springlets! :love:

Modelly and bubbly? I'll take it :D

It's interesting what you said about my features standing out more, that's actually exactly what my grandmother said! I kind of brushed it off, because I mean, what do grandmas know? I love her to death but wouldn't go to her for style advice. I figured she was just saying that because blonde is damaging to the hair, and she obviously likes the idea of 'natural' hair colour, but maybe she has a point. The fact that you said the same thing has really given me something to think about...

One note I must make is that in the brown hair photo I am wearing LOTS of makeup (piles of mascara and a generous globbing of foundation. Again, the ways of a freshman trying to fit in...) But in the blonde photos (and now) I am usually bare-faced

blondie9912
October 13th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I actually think I have committed to growing out my hair now!

Lady Neeva
October 13th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I perfer your natural colour better, I would suggest trying a SMT. And keep away from chemicals...for now. :D

blondie9912
October 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Thank you :) I have about 3/4" of regrowth and it looks so lovely (on its own of course, not as roots :p)

Honestly, nothing feels as nice as virgin hair... I think I will lay off the bleach for at least a year or so in order to cut off my overprocessed ends without going too short

thelittlestdoc
October 14th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Yay, do it! Your natural color is very pretty, and you'll appreciate more when it's long :)

justgreen
October 14th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I haven't read all the responses. My vote is blonde, but only by a professional.

I'm a dye hard bleacher, pun intended. EVery four to six weeks, like clockwork, but only the roots. I have a dark panel underneath, my natural color.

I'm an SMT lover, love honey on my hair and skin. I do without the aloe gel, I get better results with 50% honey, 50% conditioner, usually L'oreal Everpure Moisture Conditioner. I also use the shampoo, diluted, with a bit of Nature's Gate Original Herbal Shampoo thrown in the dilution. It has a slight clarifying effect on my hair.

I rinse with about 12 ounces of distilled water after every washing. It helps sluice off the minerals from the hard well water we have.

Oh and I NEVER get toner applied after bleaching. It's what causes brassiness on me.

blondie9912
October 14th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Interesting to hear another perspective! I totally agree, yes, bleaching DOES damage hair, but going back and forth with hair colour damages it a heck of a lot more. Do you really feel blonde looks better on me or are you simply advocating blonde in general? :p

justgreen
October 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Interesting to hear another perspective! I totally agree, yes, bleaching DOES damage hair, but going back and forth with hair colour damages it a heck of a lot more. Do you really feel blonde looks better on me or are you simply advocating blonde in general? :p

Personally, I loved your blonde look. It was just right, a small glow around your gorgeous face. It looked natural. Mine does too, now that I go for the silvery platinum, it matches my silver sparklies that are coming in. Both parents were blonde, but I ended up with my Paternal grandmother's medium auburn brown hair, and my mother's complection, so blergh on me.

And no, I don't advocate blonde in general, especially if you try and do it yourself. I did that for years and just ruined my hair.

blondie9912
October 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Thank you! :) Same here, going blonde at home doesn't work for. I tried it once and the effect was too one-dimensional for my liking. I really do like the look of blonde but my hair feels SO damaged to me, I really don't know what to do

justgreen
October 14th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Thank you! :) Same here, going blonde at home doesn't work for. I tried it once and the effect was too one-dimensional for my liking. I really do like the look of blonde but my hair feels SO damaged to me, I really don't know what to do

I did take a break one time, before I joined here. I had dark brown dye done and lasted about 8 months. Then went in and had light highlights. I found LHC about a year later and got help with my non-growth issue. Haven't looked back.:D

blondie9912
October 14th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Wow, LHC really IS magical :D

I could see myself going back to natural and then returning to the highlights I know and love...I swear it's an addiction haha

californiagirl
October 15th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I am another who loves your natural color. It looks great on you!

Debra83
October 16th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I'm sorry, but I can't remember if I posted last night or not. I was so tired, and tonight I'm pooped too, but I just wanted to throw my pennies' worth of a thought in, I really liked the blonde. But, I lean to blond more than any other colour most of the time on anybody. I really like it. I can't pull it off though, because I've been hennaing since I joined this site to stay away from the damaging effects the blond had on me, and now because of potential reactions, I'm scared to go blonder. I miss it though, even though the darker I think suits me better. You on the other hand, I find, the blond really looks good on you. If you can find a way to naturally going blond, I highly suggest you try it out. And don't forget to post pics!!! :D Sorry for the long ramble.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 16th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Have you ever considered highlights on the canopy only? Like, bottom half of your hair remains natural and only the top layers are highlighted. I've seen it on many celebs and it looks pretty natural, especially on people with light brown hair like you. That way you will only damage half of your hair while rocking the blonde look :)

Of course, you should wait some more before taking another step. Then, when your hair has healed a bit, go to a salon to do anything. Hair dye, especially bleach, can be dangerous when DIY.

jacqueline101
October 16th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I would say let your hair grow out. Keep doing your normal beauty routine. Like someone stated you can buy clip in bangs and hair for fullness and to give it a high lighted look.

blondie9912
October 16th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Thank you for the replies everyone! :flowers:

About the canopy highlights, that's actually what I had :) Perhaps what I had done to my hair was more of a 'partial highlight', but I never highlighted the bottom half of my hair.

At the moment, my hair isn't that damaged at all from a 'normal person's' point of view :p However for me (and anyone else on this site who knows a thing or two about proper haircare) it just feels awful. The areas near the 'bald spot' are so damaged and just feel so..chemically altered. Yuck :disgust:

I'm going to let my hair grow for now (probably at least a year or so) and then try some honey lightening when my hair is long enough! I don't think I'd be able to handle my natural haircolour allover, it's a little dark for me, but dirty blonde with some natural sunny highlights at the ends would be awesome :D

justgreen
October 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Just thought you might like to see my natural color. I love having two toned hair. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/justgreen_/LHC/141.jpg

blondie9912
October 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM
justgreen, it looks awesome! I remember when my blonde highlights were perfect and I had light golden brown underneath, medium blonde on top, and nearly white blonde on the ends and near my face. I found that it looked really natural, and people were ALWAYS mistaking me for a natural blonde :D

Your hair must look super cool in a french braid, to see all the colour variations!

blondie9912
December 13th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Sorry for randomly resurrecting this thread, but I just wanted to post and say that I have officially, 100% committed to growing out natural! Thank you all for your opinions and input, it was incredibly valuable :) Believe it or not, I was completely stuck on blonde, but everyone's positive reinforcement helped me see that natural hair really is beautiful! Thank you all so much :flowers:

JessiBird89
December 13th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Yay! I'm really happy for you! I was completely addicted to blonde highlights for a long time too, it's been 2 years since I've dyed by hair brown and started to grow out my natural colour and I've never looked back.

I thought the highlights used to make me stand out but in recent times I have realised that a healthy shine and a long length is far more rare and eye-catching. My friends have also complimented me on my natural light brown colour, saying that the blonde used to make my face look broader than it is so I'm relieved I've decided to change my ways! :D

Happy growing!

xoxophelia
December 13th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Sorry for randomly resurrecting this thread, but I just wanted to post and say that I have officially, 100% committed to growing out natural! Thank you all for your opinions and input, it was incredibly valuable :) Believe it or not, I was completely stuck on blonde, but everyone's positive reinforcement helped me see that natural hair really is beautiful! Thank you all so much :flowers:

Fabulous! You can definitely rock the natural beauty thing :)

Katleen
December 14th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Good for you! I really like your natural color, and you're still young enough to grow virgin hair without grey coming in :D

christi.adell
December 14th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I was just going to say go natural for awhile! And it looks like you are.

I know how it feels to be tempted by blonde. I did the same thing when I was a teenager. I dyed and hilighted my hair all through my teens and twenties because I thought my natural brown was so boring. Always going back to blonde because, well it's blonde! lol

Anyway flash forward to turning 30 and now I WANT my natural hair color again but it's mostly gray now. Which is fine but what I'm saying is enjoy your natural color while you can because once you start graying (if you don't like it) you can then have plenty of time to dye or hilight.

I wish I had had a forum like this in high school to tell me to put down the bottle! Good Luck. :)

xladolcevitax
December 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I say go with blonde, but leave your hair for 6 months to recover a bit first and then only get minimal highlights to keep the damage low

heidi w.
December 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I like your original hair color that I looked at in the second link you provided. I presume that your natural color may be a bit "darker" than years earlier? Is that changed? If yes, this makes sense. As we age, our hair color does change, as does our volume.

You still have plenty of volume, but you are a fine haired type, it seems to me. As evidenced from your braid. Fine haired people can actually have a lot of hair, in terms of volume, (I am one such person) yet when it's all braided, it looks really thin. Also hair in braiding gradually becomes thinner and thinner nearer the bottom. That is normal for Everyone. Everyone. Longer hair types notice it more than those with shorter lengths who trim much more frequently.

I wonder that you might consider visiting a professional colorist and tell him/her what your hair goals are, and kind of go from there?

Not all colorists are equally good at what they do. Coloring is a chemical process for the most part, and many actually do not understand the chemistry they're performing. A professional colorist, however, understands.

John Frieda says that he never recommends coloring hair unless it's more than 40% gray. That is for older women. From my perspective, being that you're still in high school, there really is no reason to color your hair. You're a naturally pretty young lady, and I think it would benefit you to fall in love with what you look like and what you've got. But youth is youth, and we tend to be trained to think we're not good enough or pretty enough without X added in. That's the society we live in. So be it.

Use products that are intended for color-treated hair.
If you must wash daily, dilute the shampoo a bit.
For sports activities, braid or pony the hair, and wear a sweatband, perhaps.
Think about detangling with a wide toothed comb if you don't already; and from the bottom up, not top down. Don't rip your hair out.
Always condition your hair. Don't skip it.

You're going to learn a lot at LHC, but generally speaking this is not the most informative coloring hair care website. I can't recommend a good website for that really because that's not my thing. I would instead recommend you find a professional colorist, one who only does coloring. Steer clear of the young people who want to do zany stuff to your hair. Try for someone in their 40s who's been practicing their art for a while. They tend to listen a little better and have no need to ego onto your hair. They're done with all that.

I wish you all the best and don't imagine I've been overly helpful. I just think you're naturally pretty and don't need to change anything on you to be prettier. If anything, I think changes such as hair coloring, it'll be a detraction to your natural beauty.

heidi w.

blondie9912
December 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Thank you all so much :) Heidi, that is great advice! I agree, sometimes young 'trendy' hairdressers can do awful things to your hair. Thankfully, my colorist is amazing (all of the hair colour grief I went through was entirely my own doing)

Now I really cant wait for my natural hair to grow in and my thickness and softness to return! I definitely had more strands (though they were always fine) before I started colouring