PDA

View Full Version : What hair dries quicker - damaged or healthy?

milk
October 5th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I've always thought that damaged hair dries quicker after washing, since it's less filled with moisture or something. But my virgin hair, which should be as healthy as can be, dries within 30 minutes, whilst my damaged hair takes a couple of hours to dry.

So, does anyone knows for sure how it works, what type of hair normally dries quicker? Damaged or healthy?

Shona
October 5th, 2011, 11:04 AM
well I have virgin hair too, and the ends (even newly trimmed) dry much faster. Though I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Pretty sure it's not!

MychelleC
October 5th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Dry time has less to do with damaged/healthy and more to do with texture. Porous hair will dry faster, smoother cuticles will take longer to dry. Hair can be damaged, i.e. split ends, without being porous, and curly girls often have very healthy hair that is naturally porous. I am growing out chemically straightened hair. While technically the straightened portion of hair is "damaged" it takes hours to dry because the cuticle lays flat due to the process. My virgin roots are healthy but more porous, and dry very quickly. HTH!

milk
October 5th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Dry time has less to do with damaged/healthy and more to do with texture. Porous hair will dry faster, smoother cuticles will take longer to dry. Hair can be damaged, i.e. split ends, without being porous, and curly girls often have very healthy hair that is naturally porous. I am growing out chemically straightened hair. While technically the straightened portion of hair is "damaged" it takes hours to dry because the cuticle lays flat due to the process. My virgin roots are healthy but more porous, and dry very quickly. HTH!

That answered my question perfectly, thank you! :bowtome::blossom:

jojo
October 5th, 2011, 01:47 PM
All i know is mine takes forever and a day to dry!

elfgirl
October 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
My hair is pretty much totally healthy (I've started oiling the ends (coconut) in an attempt to save/renourish them...will see how that goes and might trim in a month dependent on what happens), but it takes around 2 hours in the spring and summer to fully air dry. I lived in a very warm area of CA this summer, and my hair would be totally dry in as little as 10 minutes, or as long as 30 minutes (after stepping out of the shower, mind you). I think the heat is what funked out my ends, but they're getting better now that I'm home.

I kind of went on a bit of a tangent, but hope it all makes sense :)

pink.sara
October 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
The more I bleach and dye the more damaged it gets. And then the more porous.

It definitely takes much longer to dry when its porus and damaged.

MrsGuther
October 5th, 2011, 04:56 PM

I definitely think that dry time has more to do with hair texture than how damaged it is. My daughter's hair is stick straight and it dries super fast. My hair on the other hand is curly/wavy and takes hours to dry.

wooliswonderful
October 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
My layered hair takes about 3 hours to fully air dry. It's mostly healthy, the bottom few inches endured very infrequent blow-drying and straightening.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 5th, 2011, 05:39 PM
My hair, before and after damage has ALWAYS dried relatively fast imo.
So I would have to say texture and porosity plays a big part.

Miss Maisie
October 5th, 2011, 05:43 PM
The wavier my hair gets, the longer it takes to dry. It's really healthy - it just seems to take a million years to dry on its own.

Blond On Blond
October 5th, 2011, 06:07 PM
My super damaged, bleached hair dried very fast. Chopped it all off :D My virgin hair (actually hennaed hair) takes much longer to dry.

unheardletters
October 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM
My hair takes at least 6 hours to air dry, if I leave it down. If I put it up while wet or damp, it takes literally days to dry.