PDA

View Full Version : How long between trims

sweetlidlred
July 3rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
What it the longest you have gone without trimming your hair? I started growing my hair 18 months ago and for the first few months I had a trim every 6 weeks, but I decided I was getting nowhere, so in October I will have gone 1 year with no trims (this is a very long time for me). Just wondering what was the longest everyone else has gone?

janaana
July 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
For the most part I like to cut a few inches off my hair every six months because I don't like it to get long enough to get caught under me when I sit down but I did let it go for a couple of years once after I'd cut it back to my waist.

Riot Crrl
July 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'm sure I've gone at least a year, but it might be two, I can't remember. I wasn't even trying to grow it any longer at the time, just lazy.

PetiteHatter
July 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Usually I trim every 3-4 months, but I didn't feel like I needed a trim. One year later (didn't realize I need a trim because I was helping my mom plan my sister's wedding) the ends were horrible..

harley mama
July 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
I have gone more than a year without a trim or cut. Before giving up the hair stylists I would go for long periods without a cut and then cave in. I'd go in for a trim and end up with helmet hair!
I haven't trimmed in a while. I need to look back in my journals and see when the last one was done.

paper
July 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
I've been getting a trim every 3-4 months. I'm maintaining shoulder length, while cutting off layers.

julya
July 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
I've gone 3.5 years with no trim. I don't think it was harmful for my hair to wait that long.

curls2grow
July 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
I can't remember the last time I went as llong as 3 months between trims, but I'm pretty sure that's the longest I've gone.

jojo
July 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
The longest i have ever gone is 2 years and I went from pixie to apl.

Now I dust every 4 weeks to keep my ends nice,

nappywomyn
July 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
I haven't laid scissors to hair since Feb 07, and I don't plan on it any time soon, either.

AJoifulNoise
July 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
I haven't cut my hair in over 3 years. And I don't plan to trim it in the future.

Nightshade
July 3rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
I got a trim my junior year in High School and then not again until my junior year in college. As my hair was so trashed and breaking so much I didn't want to trim it and lose more length, nevermind that those ratty ends were just encouraging more breakage and damage :rolleyes:

Once I started doing regular trims and caring for my hair right things actually started getting longer again, but now that the ends are healthy (well healthIER) I can go 2-3 months without one. Once I get the last of this crap off I'll probably still trim once a quarter to maintain length.

SweetPea88
July 3rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
I've gone a bit longer than one year as far as I can remember. I had an old habit of growing my hair long, getting bored with it and cutting it shorter, and then doing the process over again.

Right now I'm trimming every month, though.

Medievalhair
July 3rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
I can only go about 5-6 months without trim, after that I really need trim because get so bad.

jenna
July 4th, 2008, 12:23 AM
the longest for me was about 2 years. it may have been a little more by a few months or something.

Duchess of Erat
July 4th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I voted 2 years, I think it's actually been closer to three years, but I'm not really sure, I know it's two years at least. I still have barely any split ends and the dry ends seem to be getting better since I've been using coconut oil, so I don't think I'll be trimming anytime soon.

Loreyanne_H
July 4th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Six months :)

vindo
July 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Couldnt quite answer it. The longest ever would be 9 mths. but that was a one time offence.
Now the longest would be 2 mths...

DecafJane
July 5th, 2008, 10:51 PM
When I am growing my hair, I sometimes go more than two years without at trim. By then it needs a tidy, as there a a few (but not too many) splits, and the ends need a bit of evening up.
I'm contemplating doing that this time around, too - 8 months down, 16 months to go! :D

Phalaenopsis
July 6th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Six months in between, if I wait longer my hemline gets uneven.

n3m3sis42
July 6th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I voted "6 months" because that's the longest I have gone without trimming and not noticed any problems with my ends.

It's actually been *almost* 9 months since my last trim now. My goal was to go a whole year, but I'm not sure I am going to make it that long. I have 2 or 3 inches of fairytaling, and while I know that some people really love that look, I don't think it's right for my hair at all. I'm continuing to go without trimming at this point because I *am* stillgaining length (about 3/4 inch a month), and I snipped off most of my splits through S&D about a month ago and they haven't returned, so I figure I might as well stick it out a bit longer.

After this, I don't think I will EVER go for more than 6 months without a trim again. It works for some people, but I don't think I am one of them.

cobblersmaid
July 7th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Five years.

socks
July 10th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Well, it's been at least six or seven years since my last trim and my hair looks great, since I don't mind the fairytaling and S&D takes care of the splits. I'll probably have to start trimming again in 2010, though, because my hair will be ankle length by then and I don't want it to start dragging on the nasty floors of the dorm showers. shudder:

Meli
July 10th, 2008, 12:57 AM
The longest I have gone between two trims is about one year. At the moment it is 6 1/2 months since my last trim, and I don't plan to trim anytime soon - unless I get tired sick of S&D and/or my ends get too bad to cope with.

chrissy-b
July 10th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I've gone my first six months w/o trimming. The longest I've ever gone before that (that I can remember) was about two months. I'm planning on not trimming again until next January which will make it one year w/o a trim.

lady_hero
July 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I have gone 2 years without trimming, but now I go about 4 months. I noticed too much damage ( even with S&D ) to go very long without trims.

jivete
July 10th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I voted for 3 months. Two months is probably more like it, but lately I'm trying to push for 3.

Curlsgirl
July 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM
When I was younger I am sure I went longer than a year at times but I said 6 months because that is about the longest I go now without at least a small trim. It just seems better for my hair. I only do a quarter inch or so though since I am trying to grow and that seems to be working well.

Starr
July 11th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Before I trimmed a few months ago, I hadn't trimmed in just over 2 years. My hair does fine with out trimming.

Snowblood
July 13th, 2008, 02:46 AM
The longer my hair gets, the thinner my ends become. Not dramatically thin, so I try to trim my hair once a year, at most twice. I have no option but to trim because the ends are quite dry due to bleaching a few years ago.

Lexibeth
July 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM
I prefer to wait a year as that when the last inch or so is noticeably dry/damaged.

Nanni
July 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
I didn't trim for 2 years after my hairdresser gave me a very bad haircut. Lately I have been trimming/dusting once a month to get rid of some heat dammage, but will wait for 3 months untill the next trim. One cm-trim each third month will have to do.

sweet*things
July 1st, 2009, 09:51 AM
I would fall into the 3+ years category. I don't get many splits, so unless something happens to damage my hair I can go quite a while without needing to trim.

dulce-de-leche
July 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
I haven't had a trim in almost 9 months and the longest I;ve ever gone without one was 1 year.I don't think I will need a trim when I get to my 1 year anniversary either as long as I keep S&Ding which I plan on keeping up :)

MomoKoNoHanna
July 2nd, 2009, 06:22 AM
3 months at the moment but once all the damage length is gone maybe I will start doing s&d then.

ChrissieM
July 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
I've always cut my hair about twice a year....this last time the stylist took off WAY too much, which is what prompted me to find this site. I was looking for self trimming methods so I could cut off one ACTUAL inch myself.

zen_oven
July 4th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Looks like this poll has closed but I'll respond. . .

I used to cut my hair twice a year, maybe more, but I haven't cut it in over a year now. I'm going to start trimming to even up some undesirable layering once I get closer to my goal length, but after that I may go to once a year. I'll probably learn to trim it myself too.

may1em
July 4th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Poll's closed now - I've gone a year between trims. Twice. Also 9 months and 6 months. Now they're more frequent. For a few years, I'd joke about getting my "annual haircut" every April.

I needed the long times between to grow, but now that I'm at a length I like (though open for more), getting rid of old damage and layers is more important than preserving every bit of growth. I'll be trimming quarterly from now on, probably around the solstices and equinoxes because that's easy to remember.

JamieLeigh
July 10th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I went 7 years with no trimming, from age 10 til age 17

Rentlle
July 11th, 2009, 01:08 PM
3 months I think.
I just cut every season-change a little bit of my hair (as many as neccesary)

82exoticbeauty
July 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
About 1 year 1/2 month for I long I can go without trims! First I start off BSL-bra strap length, then I'd have to wait about a bit pass classic to trim it!

EtherealOde
July 27th, 2009, 10:43 PM
About every 3-4 months, but in general I do it when it needs doing and not because of a schedule. I have a lot of damaged hair yet that needs trimming off as it grows. It isn't terrible damage, just doesn't look as nice as my undamaged hair, so it gets trims when the ends are too dry to save or if they get splits. I'm sure as it grows longer I'll have to trim to keep the hemline even and thick, but I haven't had to deal with that yet.

Brownie
July 28th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I've gone a bit longer than a half year now, but I think it's time for a trim soon.

silverspun
September 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I think the longest I went was a year, at most a year and half. The damage I got from treating my hair badly, without trims really ended up in a huge cut, and waist of growth.

Camee
September 8th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I've gone two years without a trim. I was growing it out from a pixie cut about 4 years ago, as soon as it was long enough to cut out most of the layers I had a straight blunt cut on the ends. So that was about two years ago and I'm only a couple of inches above waist now.

I badly need a trim but I don't have the scissors yet and I'm not going anywhere near a hairdresser!

lovebug
September 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I´ve been growing out damage, so I´ve had a trim every 3-4 months to keep my so-called hemline even. Now the worst ends are gone and hopefully I´ll be able to stretch time between trims.

By the way, can you call it hemline if hair is at APL? :)

emeraldfaery
September 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
I'm sure I've gone years. As of now I've gone 6 months, but I won't be trimming in the near future.

Barbie Diamond
October 3rd, 2009, 02:40 AM
I go about 12 months or longer and I actually have a good trimmer. She will cut about 1/3 of an inch and the few hairs that grow faster than the rest.

Rhiannon7
October 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
if undamaged i can go for 1 year without trims. but i usually try to trim every 4-6 months to keep ends healthy and undamaged.

JCFantasy23
October 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I've gone over a year without trimming before. I just trimmed a few days ago, a very minor one, and plan to grow to desired goal and then trim for months to get rid of the nappy ends.

aaperez
December 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
I tend to avoid trims but it seems that doing so only means when I finaly go to cut my hair I have to take off large amounts so I'm planning on self triming every month and getting a proper trim every 6-12 months or so ^_^