PDA

View Full Version : Seborreheic dermatitis back big time :(

coffinhert
October 5th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I'm so frustrated! It went away when I started using henna and acv rinses, and was gone for months, but just in the past couple weeks it has come back and it's itchy and painful and my scalp is bleeding again. I don't know what to do, the herbal treatments don't make it go away anymore :(

lizdini
October 5th, 2011, 04:57 AM
:grouphug: I have no advice, but I hope you feel better soon!

Pixie0763
October 5th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I'm not sure how it will affect your hair, but hydrocortisone helps the dermatitis.

headtrip_honey
October 5th, 2011, 07:46 AM
What kind of shampoo do you use?

I don't know if I have seborrheic dermatitis, but I have *some* kind of dermatitis (painfully itchy scalp, build up, flaking), and I've found that cutting out fragrances really helped.

I now use a fragrance-free shampoo, and if I feel a outbreak coming on, then I switch to Nizoral for a few days and it seems to keep things clear.

GRU
October 5th, 2011, 08:18 AM
CO-washing and ACV rinsing and not stretching washes past every 2-3 days helps me the most. I have to make sure I massage *thoroughly* when I CO-wash to keep those scabs at bay.

starlamelissa
October 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I'm so frustrated! It went away when I started using henna and acv rinses, and was gone for months, but just in the past couple weeks it has come back and it's itchy and painful and my scalp is bleeding again. I don't know what to do, the herbal treatments don't make it go away anymore :(

Painful scabs, bleeding scalp? Ouch! See a doctor.

blondie9912
October 5th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I have heard that stretching washes too long increases fungus on the scalp, so maybe you're one of those people who would benefit from washing your scalp every other day or so with a gentle shampoo. Just what I've heard, definitely don't hold me to that. But either way I hope it gets better!

MrsGuther
October 5th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Oh no! That sounds very painful. I hope you can find some relief from the situation very soon! Sending hugs and well wishes your way.

ladyfey
October 5th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Nizoral is the only thing that has helped me. I use it every other wash, so it gets used every four days.

Kristamommyx3
October 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I went through the exact same thing a few years ago, and it took me a year to figure out I had become allergic to sulfates. I have been using Organix brand shampoo with great success, except for the one with keratin in it. My favorite is the one with Argan oil. It keeps my hair looking great and my scalp very happy. I also recently noticed that root boost spray and even mousse on my scalp will cause the same reaction. Make sure that when you are eliminating products and/or ingredients, you give it at least two weeks, because that is how long I will have a flare up after just one day of exposure to an irritant.

coffinhert
October 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I thought I was allergic to sulfates and stopped using shampoo about a year ago. I still think I might be allergic and won't go back to shampoo. I've been CO for a year (Nature's Gate / Trader Joe / Sonoma Valley brands) and my hair has been optimal for this time. Last night I did a strong apple cider vinegar pre-shower scalp rub, let it sit for about 20 minutes then COed it out and it seems a little better today, no actual bleeding :P I can't believe i"m saying that. Anyway I'm going to do another pre-shower strong ACV rub tonight.

omgitssarah
October 5th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I've been using T/Gel (or the drugstore brand) for about a month now and I've had a HUGE improvement. If you don't want to go back to shampoo, consider trying the T/Gel conditioner, which actually has 2% Salicylic Acid as the active ingredient. I haven't tried it, but a salicylic acid moisturizer has helped the outbreaks that I get on my face.