PDA

View Full Version : Hydrotherapy/Contrast Showers for Hair Growth?

Amanecer
October 5th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I searched to see if there was a thread on this.. but didn't see anything.

Contrast showers are based on the notion that hot water stimulates blood flow to the surface of your body, and cold water stimulates blood flow to the core of your body. Alternating them, in theory, creates a lot of circulation to whatever area of the body the water is applied to. I was reading this information as it relates to tumors and cancer, but was wondering if anyone has ever tried this to increase circulation to the scalp and thus increase hair growth?

I figured it was worth a shot, so I tried a 'contrast shower' tonight.

All you have to do is shower using hot water for five minutes and then cold water for two minutes. You alternate three times, and end on cold water. Ideally, using the hottest and coldest water you can bear.

It wasn't unpleasant after I got used to the cold water :blueeek:, and it definitely did a good job of moving the natural oils from my scalp and distributing them down the length of my hair. (I haven't shampoo'd in three days)

So has anyone ever tried this or heard of this, or am I entering uncharted hair growth territory? Haha. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)

teal
October 5th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I don't do it for hair growth, but when I wash my hair I start with a cold rinse, warm for washing and cold again to finish and rinse out ACV. Cold water is supposed to help squeeze out excess sebum and close the hair cuticles. It works for me. :shrug:

CavySong
October 5th, 2011, 10:17 AM
My 25 year old daughter had transitioned to a "no 'poo" regimen using cool-hot-cool, baking soda and ACV. She was really happy with it until she moved back to Kansas from here in Virginia. Something about the water being different.

I have gotten only as far as a CWC routine with warm during the wash and cool during the rinse.
I tried CO with mixed results, but always did better when I remembered to alternate temps.

FrozenBritannia
October 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I know rinsing with cold water makes hair shinier... But the best I can do is lukewarm, I just can't stand the cold!! (ironic I know.)

I remember when I was camping a few years ago and washed my hair in an ice cold waterfall pool that my hair was extremely soft after though. I'm washing my hair today, so I guess I'll suck it up and give it a shot of cold..shudder:

girlcat36
October 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I was using contrast showers last winter, but I didn't include mt head! I thought for some reason hot-cold would cause more shedding, but maybe it would actually inhibit shedding. I'll have to give it a try again.

spidermom
October 5th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Hot water isn't good for hair (look it up; I can't figure out how to post a link). You're supposed to wash it with lukewarm water. I've never noticed a difference in shine from rinsing in cold water, although a cool rinse with a very dilute vinegar solution seems to increase shine.

AnqeIicDemise
October 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I do this but not for my hair. Just for my overall health. I'm dabbling a bit in Ayurvedic practices and this type of shower is one of the easiest things I can do to help my blood circulation. I haven't paid any attention to see if it helps my hair grow any faster, but it does make it shinier.

Then again, I duck my head out when its hot and make sure the water's falling on my shoulders and body, then duck my head in when the water is cold. :P