PDA

View Full Version : Updo's for babying ends

Teamouse
October 4th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Instead of the sock bun. I just do a simple bun and put the sock over the outside of the bun like a hair tie.
This works better with more hair obviously... or a smaller sock.
It's not the most secure updo. But it's one of the most gentle ways of keeping my hair in place that I have found. I don't have to worry about the ends being tangled around hair ties. My ends and the hair on the side of the bun is protected from the sock. And it's comfy for sleeping. Even if the sock falls out during the night my hair has mininal tangles in the morning.

After bleach and colour damage I have been babying my ends like crazy. I don't know about anyone else, but I get worried sometimes about doing updo's without damaging my ends. All that tucking and twisting at different angles, squashed around hair ties. little pieces sticking out.
OK, maybe I'm just too paranoid.
And with plaits (braids) my ends go dry and frizzy.

I just thought I'd share what I do to counter my paranoia. In case anyone has the same worries as me.
And ask if anyone else has any end protecting hair styles or tips they might like to share? :)

irisheyes
October 5th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I like your idea. Lately I've been putting my hair in a low bun without any ties, then a hairnet on top of that for sleeping. My bun slips out a bit, but the net stops it from unwrapping completely. My hair doesn't move at all, and I get nice curls for the next day. I started this because I am too lazy to do my usual french braid for sleep. Now I'm going to try your method with the net on top, because I need the net to keep the hair smooth. Thanks for the tip!

Madora
October 5th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Teamouse, you didn't say how long your hair was so it's hard to recommend a style.

As far as braids are concerned, if you're worried about the ends becoming frizzy, then only braid 3/4ths of the way down, then pin the braid in place (if doing braided styles). Tuck the ends of the braid under the braid.

I protect the ends of my braid at night by doing just that. I loosely braid my hair and coil it in a braid on top of my head, and hide the last 3/4ths of the braid tassle under the braid coil.
Works like a charm (I use 9 3 inch crimped hairpins to keep it in place).