PDA

View Full Version : Washing out oil

hellopanpan
October 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Do you lovelies have any tips and tricks for washing out oil? I just did an SMT and I added in olive oil, and I don't think I washed it out as well as I should have.

Also, does CO washing after an SMT defeat the purpose of an SMT?

Mairéad
October 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't say CO defeats the purpose necessarily but if you leave olive oil out of the SMT you can actually use it as your wash. If you don't use SMT as your wash typically if should be applied to just cleaned hair.

If you do oilings outside of SMT CO is actually a really good way to get the excess out.

Cassie 123
October 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't say CO defeats the purpose necessarily but if you leave olive oil out of the SMT you can actually use it as your wash. If you don't use SMT as your wash typically if should be applied to just cleaned hair.

If you do oilings outside of SMT CO is actually a really good way to get the excess out.

This is exactly what I do: oil first - and I measure out 1/2 tablespoon of oil (my hair is short) to make sure I don't overdo it - and then wash with an SMT that doesn't contain any extra oil.

And yes, I think it's fine for you to CO out your excess olive oil.

hellopanpan
October 4th, 2011, 08:40 PM
That's a really good idea! I wish I thought of that -___-;; Next time I'm gonna oil first and then wash with an SMT. I tried an SMT before but it was a little drying so I added in some oil.

GracieRae
October 4th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I found that co washing gets the oil out easier than shampoo. Once I shampooed about three times and could still feel the oil. One good co wash gets it out perfectly though. I'm not very familiar with smt's though. I haven't done many

thelittlestdoc
October 4th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I'm fairly new to COwashing, but I haven't had a lot of success with pure CO to get out oil. Maybe it's how much I'm using?:confused:

Aredhel77
October 4th, 2011, 10:43 PM
thelittlest doc you may need to let the conditioner sit on your hair for 10mins or so to remove the oil. You can use a good scoopful depending on the length. Make sure the CO is thoroughly massaged into the hair as it sits. When I CO-wash to remove oil, after it has sat and when it comes to rinsing out I pour a bit of water to my head and 'lather' the conditioner. Then I dilute it a bit more and lather again and finally rinse it out fully. Hope that helps.

Cassie 123
October 4th, 2011, 11:00 PM
thelittlest doc you may need to let the conditioner sit on your hair for 10mins or so to remove the oil. You can use a good scoopful depending on the length. Make sure the CO is thoroughly massaged into the hair as it sits. When I CO-wash to remove oil, after it has sat and when it comes to rinsing out I pour a bit of water to my head and 'lather' the conditioner. Then I dilute it a bit more and lather again and finally rinse it out fully. Hope that helps.

I agree. I use 1/2 cup conditioner (in SMT form) to get out just 1/2 tablespoon of oil. I squidge the conditioner to my scalp, massaging, then comb it through the length, and I leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Then as I rinse it out I massage again as Aredhel77 described.