PDA

View Full Version : Do you brush your curls?

UglyTresses
October 4th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I was just wondering... for those of you with curly/wurly hair, do you brush out your curls? I personally get a messy, frizzy dry mess if I comb my hair so I never comb it unless absolutely necessary. Do YOU comb/brush your curls, or do you prefer to leave em the way they dry? :)

<3OnHerSleeve
October 4th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I do, I used to get a frizzy mess (which you can see in my pics from last year when I first joined LHC. My albums don't show how curly my hair actually is because I had to cut out all the damage that hinded them. ). Then I discovered the thing to do was to brush them before I had a shower, let them naturally dry and there I'd have perfect curls which weren't actually tangled. I don't comb so much, but I used to. I mainly brush for the scalp and blood circulation as well as detangling.

oscarthehamster
October 4th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I leave them be ! Or else disaster hits :p

MrsGuther
October 4th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have very wavy hair, and a few sporadic ringlet curls. I prefer to brush it out to detangle it if I am putting it in an updo for the day (which is pretty much every day). If I plan on wearing it down I leave the curls alone to do their natural wave pattern.

Juicematic
October 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Never. My hair gets combed when wet and that's it.

aahavaa
October 4th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I'm just a 2c wavy but if I brush I lose my shine and then the hair goes frizzy. Sometimes I do gently brush on day 2 at my ends that have a tendency to go stringy or maybe around the horrible cowlick at the back of my head LOL but it's a very gentle brushing motion .
I do a full brush out just before I wash my hair though.

Apple_Betty
October 4th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I've started brushing mine at night. I wasn't doing it at all, but second day wurls just aren't working out for me, so I brush it, and then put it up. :)

kitschy
October 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Nope. I detangle with a wide toothed comb while it is soaking wet with conditioner. Then I simply don't touch it until I CO wash again.

Wanderer09
October 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I comb mine out, oitherwise updos and braids cause too many tangles.

GRU
October 4th, 2011, 07:33 PM
You'll find all kinds of pictorial proof in this thread:

Curlies: brush your hair! (fun picture thread) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003)

Athena's Owl
October 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I will dry comb/brush my hair in order to put it into braids or buns, but that's the only time.

CurlyCap
October 4th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Honestly?

1. I avoid doing anything to it most days. Usually finger comb in the shower and let be after that.

2. If I do brush or comb, I prefer to comb in the shower while SOAKING wet...and then let be. If I use a wide tooth brush, it can actually promote clumping and lead to pretty good curls.

3. If I brush while slightly wet, I can sometimes (though not predictably enough to risk it all the time) get something that looks like pincurls brushed out. It's cute.

4. BRUSHING FOR STYLE IS AWESOME. For updos, go for it. Brush while dry for a smooth look. Brush while damp for waves in the sides. Brush out like mad and use huge accessories to go diva. Brush the front and leave the back alone to get an amazing semi-updo. XD Lol, I like brushes when the final look is intentional.

katsrevenge
October 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I comb before braiding, before washing (keeps hair out of the drain) and if I mess with it too much.

This means I almost never wear it down. It doesn't look that great after a brushing/combing unless it's oiled.

JessL
October 4th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I have been brushing with a BBB at night but I always at least rinse my hair in the morning since I get really bad bed head no matter what. My hair dries quick so its easier to just start over. After rinsing or washing I just arrange it and dont touch it again until its dry. I finger comb occasionally throughout the day to neaten it out but I dont usually get any tangles unless Im in a stong wind.

Chetanlaiho
October 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I can't comb my hair when wet (it comes out by the handful) and I hate having unbrushed hair so yes, definitely xD Does it ruin my wurls? Yes, has that stopped me from doing it? No. My wurls look good right after washing and then they get brushed and pushed into updos so no more pretty curly-waviness for me after that =(

chihuahuaesque
October 5th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Never ever!

I'll run my fingers through it when it's wet, but if I actually were to brush it disaster would strike!

PinkyCat
October 5th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Brush, no. Wide tooth comb, yes.

On days when I have a lot of oil left in and its twisted up, I can actually comb with a wide tooth comb and not have it frizz up. But this is because the curl loosens to waves when I twist it up. Like this - this picture is what happens when I bun it with oil and comb out:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7960&pictureid=107580

But on days I want my curls on display - no sir - no combing or bunning allowed.

Badwolf
October 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I comb my hair in the shower after I've applied conditioner. The only time a brush touches my hair is on the rare occasions that I straighten it.

CurlyGirly
October 5th, 2011, 11:01 AM
The only time I brush my hair is after I have braided wet and then it has dried because it's fairly straight and silky then. There is no way I could brush my hair curly without pain and damage. I don't even comb when curly. I only comb wet in the shower with a wide toothed comb or my fingers (usually just my fingers and then run a comb through after).

Cainwen
October 5th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I brush them out the morning after I wash (I wash on Saturday afternoons, so Sunday morning) and the I brush morning and evening (briefly) after detangling with a widetooth comb. It takes away the curls and leaves a shiny waviness that looks good in buns. If I ever let my hair out of its braid/bun I'd be a poofy haired monster and DH would be coming after me with hair ties to try and contain it :D

moon2dove
October 5th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I'm still training myself to " leave my hair alone"... So I comb as little as possible, but not brush! :)

Noreth
October 5th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Nope! I don't even brush my straight hair. :) I can't even comb my curls! :D

kamikaze hair
October 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
i have been, but first i comb them, then only if i need a really neat hairstyle which requires brushing. I should really stop though. :D

infinity_girl
October 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I do a lot of the time. I would never straighten my hair permanently as I like the choice and curls suits my face better but I really like wavy hair more than super curly and I want more length too. I find that if I brush, my hair does get frizzy and poofy at first but I put some jojoba oil or some serum in and then I can sort of get and inbetween state where my hair is wavy and the frizz is mostly diminished.