PDA

View Full Version : Question about protein treatments

UglyTresses
October 4th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'm curious, but do any of you condition or deep condition your hair after using a protein treatment? I'm wondering because I personally use the 5-minute Keratin one from Aphogee and my hair is incredibly dry after using it, without using anything else after rinsing it out.

Also, the Keratin things is supposedly amazing but I see no difference -__-
It's all hype. I thought my hair would look a teensy bit nicer but noooo, hair products just refuse to cooperate with my hair haha...

Anyways, I was just curious to know what your process might be when using a hair mask, protein treatment or anything of that sort. :) Thanks in advance!

Anje
October 4th, 2011, 06:11 PM
It's generally recommended to do a deep moisture treatment right after a protein treatment specifically because protein is really drying.

Protein treatments are great IF your hair needs it. If it's weak, mushy, and stretchy, for example. If your hair doesn't need protein, you're not going to get any benefits from it, just dry and possibly rough hair.

It sounds like you don't feel like products are working very well for you in general, or am I reading that wrong? Have you clarified your hair recently?

UglyTresses
October 4th, 2011, 06:15 PM
It's generally recommended to do a deep moisture treatment right after a protein treatment specifically because protein is really drying.

Protein treatments are great IF your hair needs it. If it's weak, mushy, and stretchy, for example. If your hair doesn't need protein, you're not going to get any benefits from it, just dry and possibly rough hair.

It sounds like you don't feel like products are working very well for you in general, or am I reading that wrong? Have you clarified your hair recently?

Do you need to apply anything to hair after you rinse out deep conditioner? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm just wondering.

TitaniaOfFairys
October 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm curious, but do any of you condition or deep condition your hair after using a protein treatment? I'm wondering because I personally use the 5-minute Keratin one from Aphogee and my hair is incredibly dry after using it, without using anything else after rinsing it out.

Also, the Keratin things is supposedly amazing but I see no difference -__-
It's all hype. I thought my hair would look a teensy bit nicer but noooo, hair products just refuse to cooperate with my hair haha...

Anyways, I was just curious to know what your process might be when using a hair mask, protein treatment or anything of that sort. :) Thanks in advance!

I use Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor about once in every 2 weeks, and I need a deep condition after that, or my hair will be dry and hard to comb out. But my hair loves protein, and this is a great product anyway.

The funny thing is that about 4 years ago I used this K-Pak *as a conditioner*, just this, without any treatment after. My hair loved it, never dried out, never had lot of split ends. And I washed (and still wash) my hair every other day.
(I used it because I didn't know this is not a simple conditioner, nobody told me in the shop I purchased).
I think my hair is just changed, and maybe it's absolutely normal.

So if you feel you need a conditioner after the protein, just go ahead.
And don't worry about not seeing any difference. Maybe you don't see it, but it still can make your hair stronger and healthier. Just make sure you don't overuse it.

TitaniaOfFairys
October 4th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Do you need to apply anything to hair after you rinse out deep conditioner? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm just wondering.

Not stupid at all. It totally depends on your hair. If you feel you need something, maybe a coney or cone-free product, some oil, shea butter, or anything else, just try it. You will notice if it your hair doesn't like it. Next time try something else.
I like to use argan oil on my ends when still damp, this is the only one that won't leave my hair oily. It's an expensive oil, but I use very tiny amount every time.
Sometimes I use cones, or cone-free leave-in creams. My hair is fine and tangles easily, so it's important for me to use something that helps prevent tangles.

Cassie 123
October 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Nope, you don't, and nope, it's not a stupid question!

An optional final step anytime you wash or condition your hair is an acid rinse. Here are some recipes:

1 small spoonful of vinegar (apple cider or white) in a cup of water

or

Juice of 1/2 lemon in 1/2 gallon of water

or

1/4 - 1/2 tsp citric acid powder in a gallon of water.

Just pour some over your hair after washing or conditioning. This helps hair feel softer and smoother if you have hard water. You can rinse with more tap water afterwards or not - whatever works best for you. I use distilled water, but tap water is also ok.

I always follow up with just a drop or two of oil, too (also strictly optional). Other options include: a dab of commercial leave-in conditioner; a dab of your regular conditioner, not rinsed out; Kimberlily's Defrizzer Spray, or Fox's Shea Butter treatment.

Anje
October 4th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Only if you want to. Some people like to put a drop of oil or some leave-in conditioner in their hair, not just after deep conditioning but after every wash or between washes. Others don't.

Most of this is really about figuring out what your hair likes and what works best for you.