PDA

View Full Version : I know this may be a weird question but......

GracieRae
October 4th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Does anyone not use conditioner in the shower? I watched this YouTube by Farah Dhukai (hope I spelled that right). She went over her hair routine and she only uses a leave in. It never occurred to me to not use a conditioner so I tried it and only used a leave in afterwards. Not bad, I never thought I could get away with it. It does feel totally different though in the shower. You know, not having that slippery slimy feeling. Anybody else do this? She has incredible long beautiful hair of course. I wanted to post her video but can't figure out how with my phone.

GracieRae
October 4th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Oh her reason was she said she has more volume without a rinse out conditioner. And her hair holds a style better.

spidermom
October 4th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I never imagined that I could go without conditioner, but I've been intending to do a Manic Panic turquoise dye recently, and the directions specify no conditioner. So the last three times I've washed my hair, I didn't use conditioner. (I can't seem to get around to doing the dye.) I am shocked! For some reason that I cannot figure out, my hair feels at least as silky as it always does, and I am having far less trouble with tangles.

My guess is that I have a build up of conditioner. But as long as my hair is behaving as well as it is right now, I'm going to skip the conditioner step. (2 steps, actually, since my usual routine for years has been CWC)

GracieRae
October 4th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Feels kinda liberating too, huh? Lol :)

Intransigentia
October 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I just about never use conditioner. I do a lemon or vinear rinse after I shampoo, and sometimes I'll use a bit of oil from the ears down, but that's it. I went back to using conditioner for a week while I was on vacation because I didn't feel like hauling my usual stuff, and I found it made my hair really heavy and kindof limp, whereas when I don't use it, I have more bounce.

Anje
October 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I've been known to skip conditioner with good results, but only if I also skip the shampoo.

There are folks who do OK with only shampoo, even longhairs here on LHC. I'm just not one of them.

Rtzgrl
October 4th, 2011, 04:52 PM
No conditioner for me for about a year now. I can't remember exactly why I decided to try going without it, but I was amazed at the results. My hair seems almost twice as thick, and much healthier looking. Go figure.:confused: I use a spray-on detangler once in awhile to tone down the static, and that seems to be all it needs.

Libbylou
October 4th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I never use conditioner in the shower. I only use leave in and then only about a pea size amount. But I only have hair to my shoulders. When I was teen I had tailbone length hair and used to have to beg my mom to buy what we called then "cream rinse" Alot of times I had to go without and don't remember too many problems.

blondie9912
October 4th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Whenever I mix coconut oil with my shampoo I don't use conditioner in the shower. But typically I need it to comb through my hair, the comb kind of gets 'stuck' in my hair without it :p

amyhenna
October 4th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I stopped washing my hair completely about four weeks ago. When I went back to washing it about two weeks ago, I only used shampoo since I figured I had plenty of oils in my hair from the two weeks of not washing or even putting water on it. Since then, I've only washed about every four or five days, and I'm only using shampoo (no conditioner). I don't see any need to going back to using conditioner, so I don't plan to. Hair looks great. Turns out washing it occasionally really helps "the look" :-)

Mairéad
October 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM
My hair is psychotic. It almost never needs washing but lately it has hated me if I don't condition and leave in oil every day. If I use shampoo it gets wicked giant and with conditioner every day it still manages to look of "normal" volume.

aahavaa
October 4th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I don't use conditioner just shampoo.I prefer how my hair looks and feels without it.To be fair I havent really tried that many, only one since I have bad chemical sensitivities but my hair does fine without it and I have hardly no tangling problems.

Yame
October 4th, 2011, 08:02 PM
There was a time in my life, I don't remember when exactly, when I used to skip conditioner. I think it was partly out of laziness and partly out of wanting to brag that my hair looked nice even without conditioner :D

Then I think it started getting too dry, so I started conditioning again. Maybe this was all before I started dying my hair... not that my hair is very damaged from dying or anything, since I just dye *once a year* and with a toner and not a harsh dye, but still, dyed hair requires extra care.

However, I feel like conditioner might increase my shedding somehow (I can't figure out how, because I don't use it on my scalp, but as soon as I apply conditioner my hair starts falling out) so I think this weekend I will try going without it. I will go without shampoo, too. I normally wash once a week with CWC but this week I will be doing WO. Let's see how it works. I'd be really happy to get less of a hair monster in the shower, and who knows, maybe some volume, too.

Also, another anecdotal story, my brother doesn't use conditioner, he just uses cheap Suave shampoo and his hair is between shoulder and APL, and super shiny, thick, and bouncy. Of course, his hair is virgin so that helps. I think if my hair was virgin I'd be able to get away with that, too.

BlazingHeart
October 4th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Ooh, I can't live without conditioner. It makes my hair very, very unhappy. Without conditioner, my hair tangles and feels rough. Yuck. I tried going with just a leave-in once, and it felt horrid. I had lots of tangles and my hair felt rough, so I added just a little leave-in at a time, and even when I hit the point where my hair looked slicked and greasy, my hair still felt rough and was in tangles.

Just putting in a handful of conditioner and rinsing it out works well for me, so I haven't tried to go without in years.

~Blaze

luxepiggy
October 4th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I had to do this when I dyed my hair with deposit only dye. My hair threw a tantrum (*(oo)*)

dRummie
October 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Those of you who are washing with shampoo only - what shampoo are you using? Is it some form of low-poo, or full-on sulfates? Just curious :)

Lostsoule77
October 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I don't think I could do it. I've used a 2 in 1 for years. I always had to do a DT once a week just to chill my hair out otherwise I couldn't get a brush or comb through it. I'm still using a 2 in 1 until I finish all I have (when I found this site I had 3 large containers and I'm down to 1.8.) Only difference is now I only wash once a week and I use conditioner after every time.

thelittlestdoc
October 4th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I definitely have to use conditioner if I use shampoo, followed by a leave-in conditioner or oil. Even though I have a fairly oily scalp, my hair from the ears down is quite dry (not particularly damaged, just dry). Of course, now I'm trying COwashing, so we'll see if I have to use a leave-in now :D

Flying Penguin
October 5th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Up until about a year or two ago, I didn't use conditioner. :o (I would sometimes use a 2-in-1 though, don't know if that counts.) I washed with a sulfate shampoo too. :X Actually, the first few times I used a conditioner, it seemed to make my hair worse. I have no idea why. But I use conditioner now (CWC). Once I skipped the conditioner and my hair was awful... Sorry, this isn't really helpful. I now prefer to use conditioner in the shower so that I can finger comb my hair when it's full of conditioner. But you could try skipping the conditioner in the shower and see how your hair reacts...

Intransigentia
October 6th, 2011, 09:45 AM
The shampoo I'm using without conditioner is a full-on sulphate kind, Neutrogena clarifying. BUT I use it diluted, either 50/50 with coconut oil, or about 20/80 with water. If I were to use it full strength, I would definitely need condish.

roodboerinnetje
October 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I also can't imagine going without conditioner. When I used to (long, long ago, before I even knew that conditioner was an option - because my mum never used it on her short hair), my hair would become a mass of flyaway, messy tangles. Discovering conditioner was like finding out a wonderful hair secret that everyone else seemed to know but me :o