PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning for dry hair?

AbbyGirl
October 4th, 2011, 12:32 PM
My hair has been very dry lately. It literally breaks if I run my fingers through my hair. If I pull a strand if breaks in half. Currently I co-wash with cone and sulfate free products and I have used hendigo twice. I have been trying to wash less, braid while drying and keeping it up in the day time.
My hair does not react well to oils and it makes me have to wash my hair even more. I have tried SMT's with and without the aloe and honey and my hair did not react well to it. I have many allergies and can't use many products. I'm even allergic to shea butter!
So my question, Is using a regular conditioner, warmed on dry hair, and letting it sit on my hair longer a descent enough deep conditioner?

cmg
October 4th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Sorry to hear about the allergies, it makes the choices much more limited. Are you sure it is the shea butter itself? It could be the preservatives instead. I would perhaps avoid warming up the conditioner if the hair is this brittle, it contains cleaning agents. They are mild, but they can still do some unwanted "dissolving". Have you tried avocado? Some also use bananas, but with varying results.

AbbyGirl
October 4th, 2011, 09:10 PM
It's definitely shea butter. I bought pure shea butter to try on my skin before I found LHC and I broke out in a rash within a few minutes of using it. I don't really like to use food in my hair. It's too difficult to wash out. I just wondered if slathering my hair in conditioner would help at all.

girlcat36
October 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Have you clarified recently? Build up on my hair will cause moisture not to be able to get into the hair shaft which in turn causes breakage.
I used to think clarifying was too harsh for my fragile hair, but it actually helped.
Biolage conditioning balm is a good conditioner for very dry hair.
I would try slathering your dry hair in conditioner and letting it sit for a while might be a good idea, but I'm not sure I would heat it.
Also sleeping on a silk pillowcase(real silk) can help with breakage.

Cassie 123
October 4th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I'll second the recommendation to wash the length of your hair once or twice with clarifying shampoo. And yes, leaving a regular conditioner on as a deep treatment can work very well; I'd just use lots of it and use a heat cap for 15-30 minutes. I personally get the best conditioning results if I partially wet my hair, but don't get it soaking wet, before I apply, or towel-dry a bit beforehand if my hair is already soaking wet.

However, you might also want to look for a new conditioner. I know this can be difficult if you have allergies but it sounds like your old one might not be well-suited for your hair.

Safira
October 4th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I think you should clarify. And I agree that you should change your conditioner. I believe it´s not good for you. There is so many conditioners to choose, even though you´re allergic.

AbbyGirl
October 5th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I have clarified. I need to clarify my hair at least once every two weeks. I will look for a new conditioner. I tend to use Suave products since they don't make me itch. V05 makes me too itchy and I'm allergic to Pantene and Aussie. Maybe it's time to try Tresemme again......