PDA

View Full Version : Why Should I use a Leave-In?

CTH3989
October 4th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Sell me on why I should use a leave-in conditioner.

Background: I am going to go back to CO washing and I really want to do it right this time. I will be using v05 Moisture Milks Strawberries & Cream Conditioner.

If I apply a leave-in conditioner after CO washing, should I still add EVOO or some type of oil afterward?

Vallena
October 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I would say either or... I believe the purpose of a leave in is to act like oil would and seal the water (moisture) to the hair. If the leave-in is working fine for you, I wouldn't think you'd need to add anything. But if you weren't happy, you could try using oil instead?

CTH3989
October 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks, I think I will stick to using an oil.

Cowgirl16
October 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I think it depends on how your hair is behaving on any given day. I use a leave in after the shower, and sometimes a day or two later I will put some oil on my length to keep it protected. I don't think you have to put oil on your length though after a leave in. :shrug:

einna
October 4th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I often use both, I have dry hair and this works for me. Sometimes either or, or put the oil in a few days later. I mostly go on feeling really.

spidermom
October 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Hair can be fickle. I haven't used even a rinse-out conditioner the last few washes, and my hair is thanking me for it by behaving and not tangling. Gah! Who knew?

Anje
October 4th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I just leave in oil. Anything else makes my hair tend to clump into strings more than I like, and makes it feel less smooth to the touch. A lot of folks find leave-ins protective, but if you don't like the feeling of them, I think that's OK too.

CTH3989
October 4th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I guess it's trial and error. I was wondering if I should go out and buy a leave in. I definitely need recommendations.

celebriangel
October 5th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I use a rinse-out conditioner and then oil.

Leave in conditioners make my hair feel weird...none have worked well for me.

I find oils work well to keep in the moisture from washing, prevent too much tangling, and for smooth and shine.

hs_atreides
October 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM
For me, it depends on my desired outcome. I use coconut oil as my leave-in when I plan to keep it feeling soft, whether pinned up or styled down with minimal work. Also, if I have heat-styled, it's my go-to for taking it easy for a few days after.

I will use a cone-based leave-in on top of that if I plan to style it more elaborately. It has ingredients that help act as a weak setting lotion, so it holds waves/curls. If I heat styled, it's another layer of protection.

I am still in the short shag stage and I have to wash more often. This may not be any help for your length.
Good luck!

BunnyBee
October 5th, 2011, 09:56 AM
If you need the detangling then a leave in can be good OR, after rinsing you can add a tiny bit of your usual conditioner as a leave in. That way you don't need to buy something extra!

CurlyGirly
October 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I haven't used a leave-in in a while unless I'm just using conditioner as my styler. I find when I do use a leave-in, I don't always need to do a full CO-wash my next wash. It also helps maintain my curls and makes my hair soft but I can get the exact same results just using a styler except that then I absolutely have to CO-wash the next time I wash.

CTH3989
October 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all of the opinions!

MrsGuther
October 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I think it depends on how your hair is behaving on any given day. I use a leave in after the shower, and sometimes a day or two later I will put some oil on my length to keep it protected. I don't think you have to put oil on your length though after a leave in. :shrug:

Agreed. I like to put a leave in conditioner in my hair on the length maybe a day or two after wash day, as I think it helps define my curls, and moisturizes my hair.