PDA

View Full Version : I have never, ever found a split end!

tanpopokitty
October 4th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Seriously, I have not! I'm really wondering why this is. I have very fine hair, so I'd assume I should get splits pretty easily. I don't pamper my hair at all, really. I still cheat and use a plastic brush once in a while, I tie my hair in a tight ponytail almost every day, towel dry pretty roughly and I use metal hair clips. However, I've just never once seen a split. I check pretty often, holding my ends up against a bright light, but I don't see any! Am I just...missing them? I remember always wondering this even before LHC, when girls in high school would complain about their split ends..
I don't use a cone conditioner either, so I don't feel like my splits are hidden or anything. Also, I was curious, so last time I saw a stylist I asked her if I had any splits. She said no and that most people don't get a lot of splits unless they straighten their hair daily. Is this true?
Anyways, if I am missing my splits, please tell me how to remedy this! I'm worried I just can't see them and I'll never do a proper S&D. On that note, do you find that you get splits often? How often would you say you S&D?

Mairéad
October 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Same way. I assume that there has at least be one split end somewhere up in this hair but it must be somewhere I can't see because I can't recall ever seeing split ends. I have some halo hairs but I can't ever remember seeing one that was splitting in two.

I also got confused when people referred to needing a trim for split ends. I've also had stylists comment on the strength and resiliency of my hair (this is when I was BSL), especially after explaining what I used to do it! I've had dry ends but not split ends.

freckles
October 4th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Some possible explanations:

- maybe you just have resilient hair, which can occur regardless of strand thickness. Super hair! I'm extremely jealous :)
- possibly you just have hair that doesn't split as it breaks -- any damage comes off 'clean' so to speak without leaving split ends behind.
- if your current stats are correct, you just may not have long enough (old enough) hair for it to have begun splitting, yet.

I always always always have splits and I'm fairly careful with my hair (although I haven't always been -- my pre-LHC hair has suffered from a lack of conditioner and rough brushing). A lot of it is just the luck of the genetic draw :)

spidermom
October 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Well, gee whiz; brag about it, why don'cha!

I'm seriously envious because no matter how careful I am, I gets lots and LOts and LOTS of split ends, really ugly ones. Sometimes the split ends of my split ends are split!

tanpopokitty
October 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Well, my hair was much longer in high school. Somewhere between BSL and waist. However, I still don't think I ever saw splits. I wasn't looking too hard either. :p I did have frizzy hair though, so I assumed I did have splits.. I just never actually saw them.

tanpopokitty
October 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Well, gee whiz; brag about it, why don'cha!

I'm seriously envious because no matter how careful I am, I gets lots and LOts and LOTS of split ends, really ugly ones. Sometimes the split ends of my split ends are split!

Ha, well, if it makes you feel any better I shed like a cat if I do anything to my hair! :p So it isn't strong in that way. I have to worry about my hair thinning all of the time!

Another thing that always confused me about splits is..how does one hair strand split into two? It doesn't make sense to me.. It's like..an atom splitting or something! So strange! And then wouldn't that just mean your hair is multiplying? ;p ( Kidding on the last sentence, haha~ )

AnnaJamila
October 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I don't get that many splits either, but just because an end isn't actually splitting in two doesn't mean it's healthy. Sometimes the end will be really, really thick, or bent or very thin.

There is a funny article on here somewhere talking about all the different kinds but I can't find it. :shrug:

heartgoesboom
October 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM
it's true, most people don't have splits if they don't straighten every day or color. i see your hair is still short... when i had virgin hair, i didn't start seeing splits until after it grew past waist since it's older hair... actually, it may be because my hair kept getting stuck in the school chairs.

spidermom
October 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM
The structure starts unraveling as hair gets older, kind of like a rope fraying.

QMacrocarpa
October 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I was curious, so last time I saw a stylist I asked her if I had any splits. She said no and that most people don't get a lot of splits unless they straighten their hair daily. Is this true?
That could be true for more resilient hair than mine, but it's not true for me. I've never straightened my hair in my life, and haven't used a hairdryer or any hot tools on my hair since well before my current crop of hair started growing, and I certainly get splits. I don't S&D them, just trim occasionally as needed (last time was 6 months back).

Netabug
October 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I am so glad I saw a post on this. I have read all the time about doing S&D and I can't ever find any splits. :( I guess that's a good thing, but it always worried me that I wasn't looking right or something. So these answers cleared up my confusion! Thanks

einna
October 4th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I dont get a lot of splits either, but my ends can still get dry, rough and tangly. I guess my hair is just more prone to another type of damage than splitting. However, I do anticipate more splits as my hair gets longer, and the ends get older.

luxepiggy
October 4th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I think the most likely answer is simply that your hair hasn't yet reached a length at which it would be susceptible to splits. Since you don't have any now, you probably still won't ever have a huge number, but you're likely to come across at least a few as it gets longer.

For example, I've never found more than maybe 10 splits a year, and the ones I do find are always on the hip+ length hairs.

SallyCinnamon
October 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I agree with luxepiggy. I never used to get split ends either up till about BSL length. Now that it's mid back length a few have started to show up. They are few and far between and usually not split very much. I still have some old damage from dying & flat ironing at the ends, which I'm sure accounts for some of the splits.

archel
October 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Well, I don't get splits either since my hair just breaks clean off instead...so it's a blessing and a curse :-/

jojo
October 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM
neither did I at 16" long :), but I sure did at BSL

julliams
October 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
My hair doesn't split until it's past APL so you might start to find some as you approach waistlength. Hopefully you don't but then you will never enjoy the addictivity (is that a word???) or S & D which I can happlly say that I spent an hour doing today. My splits are as Spidermom describes hers. Mine are nasty little things that must be cut...

battles
October 4th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I was always embarrassed because I didn't even know what split ends looked like. :o

I've never noticed anything that looked split on my own head, so I guess I don't normally get them at this length either. My ends do get dry and tangly though.

Alex Lou
October 4th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Some people have strong hair. Good for you!

Strong hair can take daily abuse well, but don't think that you can bleach it, perm it, heat treat it repeatedly, or use other hash products without getting splits. You may also get splits when you grow it out very long.

mora
October 4th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I don't get that many splits either, but just because an end isn't actually splitting in two doesn't mean it's healthy. Sometimes the end will be really, really thick, or bent or very thin.

There is a funny article on here somewhere talking about all the different kinds but I can't find it. :shrug:

Do you mean this one?
forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189)

Some of them aren't really true split ends but they're all supposed to be some kind of damage or at least easily susceptible to damage.

Rocket22
October 4th, 2011, 03:28 PM
You are lucky and must be doing something right :) hey if you want splits you can have mine? just a thought :)

Melisande
October 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Well, I had hair down to my tailbone and never found a split end. My hair is not perfect, far from it, but it doesn't split.

I saw my last split end in highschool, full 30 years ago. Since then, my hair has not split again. I trim or cut very rarely, I do use coconut oil, wear my hair up and treat it gently. But many others do the same and have splits. So it's probably just a characteristic of hair, the tendency to split.

katienoonan
October 4th, 2011, 03:32 PM

:rollin:

Seconded! But I do have very damaged hair... all my own fault so I have noone else to blame and no right to complain! xXx :D

jojo
October 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I think there just part of having long hair Medium/courser hair appears to get less but for fine hairs like myself; its inevitable. Though I had more when my hair was long before, so preventative measures do help.

spidermom
October 4th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Ha, well, if it makes you feel any better I shed like a cat if I do anything to my hair! :p )
Ah, that does help.

honeyblonde
October 4th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I don't get them either! :p

girlcat36
October 4th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have babyfine curly hair that sheds a lot, but I rarely get splits. I have no idea why. I always think of my hair as very fragile, and therefore should split. :rolleyes:

Nicci4
October 4th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Do you mean this one?
forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189)

Some of them aren't really true split ends but they're all supposed to be some kind of damage or at least easily susceptible to damage.

I used to think I hardly ever got split ends, just bends and breaks. Now I know my right angle bends are indeed split ends :shrug:

pepperpot
October 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Well, I had hair down to my tailbone and never found a split end. My hair is not perfect, far from it, but it doesn't split.

Same here.

WinterButterfly
October 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I don't get many splits at all either. I am at hip now. I dye my hair but don't do any heat styling. Some epople just have strong hair that can stand a bit of rough handling. When I do get a split it is only about a millimeter up the hair shaft too. But I almost always have my hair in some sort of bun. I've been shedding a lot lately though.

rocket_surgeon
October 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Seriously, I have not! I'm really wondering why this is. I have very fine hair, so I'd assume I should get splits pretty easily. I don't pamper my hair at all, really. I still cheat and use a plastic brush once in a while, I tie my hair in a tight ponytail almost every day, towel dry pretty roughly and I use metal hair clips. However, I've just never once seen a split. I check pretty often, holding my ends up against a bright light, but I don't see any! Am I just...missing them? I remember always wondering this even before LHC, when girls in high school would complain about their split ends..
I don't use a cone conditioner either, so I don't feel like my splits are hidden or anything. Also, I was curious, so last time I saw a stylist I asked her if I had any splits. She said no and that most people don't get a lot of splits unless they straighten their hair daily. Is this true?
Anyways, if I am missing my splits, please tell me how to remedy this! I'm worried I just can't see them and I'll never do a proper S&D. On that note, do you find that you get splits often? How often would you say you S&D?
I'm a finehair like you, and I didn't start to get splits until I was past BSL, and for most of that time I wasn't being all that gentle on my hair. Once I started getting closer to waist, it got splittier.

thelittlestdoc
October 5th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I'm truly jealous of your resilient hair! Even when I pamper, I have to S&D once every week or two for all those pesky splits that crop up.

Enjoy it while it lasts--my mom's hair never used to get splits and now that she's gone gray it's much more brittle and prone to split ends :(

Mesmerise
October 5th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I never saw split ends on my hair until I chemically damaged it (quite badly)! So I generally assume that if I get my hair back to a virginal state, I won't see anymore after that (well maybe when it gets quite long I will!).

kouran
October 5th, 2011, 03:51 AM
When my hair was short like yours I didn't have any splits either....Now I have found a total of 3-5 splits this year, but none since I started oiling my ends more than once a week...:)

krissykins
October 5th, 2011, 04:02 AM
What I'm hearing is that you've never, ever found this article! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189

:lol:

kanaka
October 5th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I agree with Kouran. i didnt find any split ends when my hair was short.

And i agree with krissykins too because according to that chart i can find split ends of all kinds now :Lol:

i am S&D ing lately so the number of splits has beed reduced :)

wooliswonderful
October 5th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I was looking at DD 15's BSL hair the other day and she has no typical splits, but nearly all of the hairs seem to taper. She has had it chemically dyed blonde a few times and straightens almost daily.
I found about 30 splits on my own head last week, a few pretty scary looking!

tigereye
October 5th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I think a lot of my splits actually came with damage from the dreaded metal-ended hair elastics in pre-LHC ignorance. Since I cut, a lot of that damage has gone, and my S&D sessions are not nearly as frustrating. But then, I'm back almost at waist, and the damage before only really started splitting on me as I started to get past waist and headed to hip. I think there's still some previous damage hiding amongst the strands, from before I discovered hairsticks, but S&D-ing, and self-microtrimming keep splits under control for me.

KwaveT
October 5th, 2011, 08:40 PM
What I'm hearing is that you've never, ever found this article! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189

:lol:

This is good to know. I am not sure I even know what a split end would even look like. I am going to grow my hair well past the range of seeing split ends.