PDA

View Full Version : My mum need your help

Bambi
October 4th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Hi everybody!
My mum has very fine blond hair(it is so soft) and it started to shed this summer and has only gotten worse..she is stressed by this and suspects the cause to be her medicines(hormones) she takes for her thyroid. It is the entire hair with the root that comes off..do you have any suggestions for her? She is very interested in going natural with products and to use oils.
Thank you for your time!

Buffy
October 4th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I think the best she can do is visit a doctor and he will advice her on what the cause is and what shampoos/suplements she should take.(You can't be sure it's because of the thyroid....yes it is the most logical scenario, but what if it's something else? For example low iron?)

Yeah i know it's an annoying answer , but that's the right thing to do. She could of course start by using a shampoo for hair loss, but i don't think it wouldn't be wise for her to start taking pills without actually knowing what the cause of the hairloss is or how those pills would affect her thyroid.... I can feel for her, my mom is having similar issues too.

MsBubbles
October 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Did she just now get her thyroid checked and begin the meds, like in the past few months?

It was always my understanding that the untreated thyroid problem causes the hair thinning, and not the medication, because the medication makes up for the lacking hormone and brings the body back to 'normal'.

If she went some time with her thyroid levels too low (or too high), this might be her body's reaction to that, not the medication.

But if anybody here knows for a fact that synthetic thyroid causes thinning, let me know!

Only time I have even had hair problems from my non-functioning thyroid, is before I was on the meds, or if I went a prolonged period without them. But never from taking the medication.

Bambi
October 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Thank you for your answers!
She has been on the meds(Levaxin) for more than a year and everything has been fine until now..her doctor suggested her to eat B-vitamins so she bought some today.
Once again thank you!