PDA

View Full Version : Dead ends, and the definition of it by hairstylists

Of the Fae
October 4th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Hi :)

Well... *sigh* I have not trimmed in almost a year, and I thought my hair was fine. I regularly check for splits, and when I find one (which rarely happened) I used the S&D method. It has worked very well for me.
However, recently I talked to an acquaintance, who is currently studying to become a hairdresser, for a few years already.
She told me that, when ends are split the hair will be frizzy, and she examined my hair, concluding that it needed a trim, or it will only get worse.
My hair isn't all that frizzy, but (also because it is layered unevenly) it can be slightly frizzy when I get off my bike and the wind has played with it.
Of course, in time a few hairs have been broken because of getting stuck under my bag or hasty brushing which I try to prevent at all times, but I really thought it was okay!
So this kinda made me worry. I was insulted, because she acted so derogatory about how I deal with my hair, (and she actually thinks that henna destroys the hair from the inside out, like.. what? :crazyq: )
But now I wonder, what if the ends really are split and I somehow cannot see it? Then the damage will get worse and I cannot grow longer!
Once again, I cannot visibly make out any split ends :S
Help?

WinterButterfly
October 4th, 2011, 03:20 AM
If you don't see them, they probably don't exsist. You recodnise them when you s&d, so you are probably starting to get fairy tail ends. Most styalists equate fairytail ends with dead ends or lots of splits. But that isn't the case for many.

luxepiggy
October 4th, 2011, 03:37 AM
First of all, everyone's ends are dead. All hair is dead already as soon as it comes out of your scalp. Second of all, if you don't see any splits, then it's unlikely that you have a lot of them. Did she specifically say she saw split ends? If so perhaps ask her to point out a few to you next time so you can see for yourself.

Mesmerise
October 4th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Well if you haven't trimmed for a year, your ends may be looking a bit uneven and straggly, but that does not equal split ends or 'dead' ends. And yeah, as luxepiggy says, there's no such thing as 'dead' ends, because all hair is essentially dead (well, technically as hair is protein it's never really alive lol).

You probably just need a small trim to even up the ends of your hair!

celebriangel
October 4th, 2011, 03:43 AM
If you cannot see any splits, and you think your hair is healthy...you're likely right.

For a hairstylist, uneven ends = needs a trim. You know your ends are uneven, but if they are healthy, no need to trim.

MinderMutsig
October 4th, 2011, 04:00 AM
First of all, everyone's ends are dead. All hair is dead already as soon as it comes out of your scalp. Second of all, if you don't see any splits, then it's unlikely that you have a lot of them. Did she specifically say she saw split ends? If so perhaps ask her to point out a few to you next time so you can see for yourself. This. And I'd like to add a third: frizz does not equal damage. Frizz is just what wavy, wurly, curly hair does. A hairdresser who cannot tell the difference between frizz and damage should not be allowed to use sharp objects near people's heads!

The henna comment is just weird.

Your friend clearly doesn't know what she's talking about which means she either didn't pay attention in school or she goes to a bad school where they teach her nonsense. Don't take her advice on anything hair related and stop feeling bad about what she said.

Of the Fae
October 4th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Yep, hair is just like nails, keratin without nerve endings :)

Hm, fairy tale? allready? I'm only three cms away from APL at the very longest locks, and almost shoulder at the grown out fringe..
But I had a layer cut last year, short, so I guess it is growing out unevenly.
She just took a lock of my hair in her hands and said that one could see the splits, so I examined the hairs she held, and I did not see any. I told her this, but I got a rather "I know better than you" kind of reaction.

I know that hairstylists know a lot about different cuts, applying colour and handling chemical treatments, I mean, my aunt has a salon herself, and she rocks :)
But I am really baffled at how little knowledge they then seem to have about what a split end is, and how natural products work.
I once told a hairdresser I use EVOO to moisturise my ends, and she said: "But that's just fat.. that doesn't work."
So it is difficult to pinpoint just where they are right about the condition of my hair, and where I should just conclude that I know better.

Badwolf
October 4th, 2011, 04:12 AM
But I am really baffled at how little knowledge they then seem to have about what a split end is, and how natural products work.
I once told a hairdresser I use EVOO to moisturise my ends, and she said: "But that's just fat.. that doesn't work."
So it is difficult to pinpoint just where they are right about the condition of my hair, and where I should just conclude that I know better.

Not that this applies to all hairdressers, but it seems like many of them are not really taught about or not really doing it because they are interested in the promotion of actual healthy hair. A lot of mainstream hairdressers are all about hair styles/cuts, and not hair health.

Of the Fae
October 4th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Yes, that's what I think, too. They are very good at updo's, curling, styling and dyes, and I am often impressed by this! So in no way would I like to discredit them for that!
But indeed, hair health does not seem a top priority, and a lot of hairdressers have a tendency to go for a short cut on their customers, I think.

MinderMutsig
October 4th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Yep, hair is just like nails, keratin without nerve endings :)

Hm, fairy tale? allready? I'm only three cms away from APL at the very longest locks, and almost shoulder at the grown out fringe..
But I had a layer cut last year, short, so I guess it is growing out unevenly.
She just took a lock of my hair in her hands and said that one could see the splits, so I examined the hairs she held, and I did not see any. I told her this, but I got a rather "I know better than you" kind of reaction.

I know that hairstylists know a lot about different cuts, applying colour and handling chemical treatments, I mean, my aunt has a salon herself, and she rocks :)
Next time I'd ask her to show you the individual hairs that according to her are so badly damaged and split. Just on one small section. Let her try to find some.

She was right about one thing though. EVOO is just fat and doesn't moisturize. It contains some fatty acids that can penetrate the hair and do it some good and it does seal in moisture and provides slip which helps to prevent damage but moisture is just that, moisture, not oil.

maria_asa
October 4th, 2011, 05:10 AM
This is actually a pet peeve of mine: Thin and/or unveven ends does not automatically mean they're not healthy! It's entirely possible to have very healthy, split free hair that, at the same time, is thin, uneven and frizzy.

If you don't find any splits yourself there most probably aren't any and if you don't want a trim then don't get one. It's your hair and in the end it doesn't matter what anyone else think about it.

CavySong
October 4th, 2011, 05:42 AM
It's easy to do a quick search on split ends and find magnified shots of them, ways to trim them, how to recognize them, etc. Some times a little knowledge can lead a future hairdresser to think she has to know more than you. Remember, she is still a student.

I have had too many experiences with so called "professionals" to know that they do not know it all, either, and neither do I. But I spend more time with my hair than anyone else. I have come to believe that like medicine, hair care is an art. Some practitioners are gifted and some are NOT. You are always allowed to seek a second opinion. Sounds like this is your opportunity.

Night_Kitten
October 4th, 2011, 06:42 AM
If you can't find splits when you specifically look for them, then you don't have splits :)
If you want to be 110% sure, you can do a clarifying wash and then try looking for splits, but my bet is that you won't find many even if you look really hard...

Hairstylists percieve "healthy" hair differently tham we do, for example, while I was using Cones, the hairdresser I used to go to raved about how beautiful and helathy my hair is. When I switched to no-Cones products, I felt my hair is better and less dry, but the hairdresser claimed it was in horrible condition, all dried and damaged, and I needed a big cut...
Hairdressers are used to dealing with chemically treated and heat treated hair that gets trimmed rather regularly, therefore uneven ends or frizz are looked on as damage - that's just what they are used of seing, that's all...

Lucie159
October 4th, 2011, 06:53 AM
It has been my experience that when it comes to knowing what is best for "ourselves" the resident expert is "US"! If you know your hair, and you don't see any splits.. then there aren't any. You know what condition your hair is in when your having a bad time with it, and you know how to recognize a "good" hair day. If ALL stylists were experts, then 85% would immediately go home after visiting the salon and re-do our hair. lol... My hair is much better air dried.. the curls stay together and uniform.. even when using a defuser my hair gets too puffy. But inevitably whenever I go to a salon they put a little product through my hair and try to defuse it, then I leave the salon looking like Roseanna Roseanna Danna! I say stick with your Aunt, you already think she rocks! Tell your friend its a "family loyalty thing" lol.. Good luck!

islandboo
October 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
If you can't see the splits, I doubt they are there. I use magnifying reading glasses when I S&D - if I can't see a split when using those it don't exist, LOL. She is probably just confused by your ends being not what she is used to seeing, but that's a good thing!

Of the Fae
October 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah you guys are probably right :) Thank you so much! Because I was so scared I had to do a big cut or my hair would be ruined.. (I've done many involuntary cuts because hairdressers told me my hair would not grow if I didn't..)
But yeah, my hair is full, I have lots of it, but the ends are thinner and since I have layers there is obviously less hair at the bottom :P

Good, I will not trim! I will not trim and keep doing S&D, and grow classic :D

MrsGuther
October 4th, 2011, 04:21 PM
If you cannot see any splits, and you think your hair is healthy...you're likely right.

For a hairstylist, uneven ends = needs a trim. You know your ends are uneven, but if they are healthy, no need to trim.

I agree with this ^^^.