PDA

View Full Version : Washing routine....?

mallorykay13
October 3rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
I have two options for me right now at this point; Using a super diluted SLS shampoo every 3rd day or a CO wash every day. What do you guys suggest?

SoulOfTheSea
October 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
You could alternate with the two, that's what I do. :)

mallorykay13
October 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yea. I have been doing the CO wash but I miss being lazy and only washing it every other/every third day. I'm too lazy for CO.

AJoifulNoise
October 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
I CO daily and shampoo every 3-5 days. I'd say try both methods and a mix. See which one suits your hair and your schedule. :flower:

SoulOfTheSea
October 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
What I do is that I wash my hair with a sulfate shampoo and silicone conditioner (Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship). Then like 3-4 days later I CO with Suave conditioner. Then like 2 days after that, or when it looks greasy and I can't stand it, I use Head and Shoulders 2-in-1 and a little Suave conditioner. Then I restart the cycle with the Herbal Essences about 3 days later. About once a month or when my hair starts to look really dull and frizzy because of build-up, I will do an ACV rinse after one of my COs. Makes a big difference. =)

caiti42
October 3rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Yea. I have been doing the CO wash but I miss being lazy and only washing it every other/every third day. I'm too lazy for CO.

Are you using too heavy conditioner for your co??

I co and only do so every 2nd or 3rd day. My scalp is actually less oily when I co. I also don't bother leaving it on for 20 mins or so like it seems other members do. I just use it like shampoo, but it's conditioner. Then followed by a heavier conditioner.

mallorykay13
October 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Are you using too heavy conditioner for your co??

I co and only do so every 2nd or 3rd day. My scalp is actually less oily when I co. I also don't bother leaving it on for 20 mins or so like it seems other members do. I just use it like shampoo, but it's conditioner. Then followed by a heavier conditioner.

I usually leave it on quite a while. Should I try rinsing it out faster?

spidermom
October 3rd, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'd go for the every 3rd day option. The less often you get your hair wet, the better. Water raises the cuticle, and the more often that cuticle opens and closes, the more wear it suffers. It's not so bad a problem that anyone should suffer with groady hair for the sake of keeping it dry, of course. Do what ya gotta do.

mallorykay13
October 3rd, 2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks Spidermom I think that is what I am going to go for. Quicker shower, less time in the shower...

caiti42
October 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
I usually leave it on quite a while. Should I try rinsing it out faster?

What works for me is to wash it was the most basic conditioner I can find (no cones, no proteins) it's called Pears daily clarifying. Pop it on all over and give it a good scrub for about a minute, duck my head under the shower quickly and give it another quick scrub (gives me more volume) for about 20 seconds then I wash that out and use a heavier conditioner (Garnier triple nutrition) from the ears down. Leave that about 3 or 4 mins while I do everything else then wash that out. I use a vinegar rinse maybe once a fortnight which I just pour over, leave about a minute and then give my head a cold rinse. I only need to wash every 2nd or 3rd day using this method. Most of the time I use a coney leave in or oil as well.

I use a shower cap on non hair wash days because i find the steam makes my head greasy

mallorykay13
October 3rd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Another question for you guys. I want to stretch washes. My goal is once a week. Should I go cold turkey or what...? What do you guys suggest. I trust you. :D

owlathena
October 3rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
My hair seems to prefer regular shampooing

SoulOfTheSea
October 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Another question for you guys. I want to stretch washes. My goal is once a week. Should I go cold turkey or what...? What do you guys suggest. I trust you. :D

Cold turkey isn't the best when it comes to stretching washes. I would know, :o. Are you used to washing every day? If so, start by stretching to every other day, then every two days, and so on. It might take you a while to get to a week without your hair getting totally greasy and icky.

mallorykay13
October 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Cold turkey isn't the best when it comes to stretching washes. I would know, :o. Are you used to washing every day? If so, start by stretching to every other day, then every two days, and so on. It might take you a while to get to a week without your hair getting totally greasy and icky.

Good to know. I can usually do every other day and I can sometimes go every third day. Since I went to CO every day for about a month I may have to restretch though (scared face) Oh well, it's worth it right?