PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of temptation!

Periwinkle
July 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
So for a while now, I've been toying with the idea of cutting a fringe (that's bangs to you yankees) into my hair. However, I know that this is A Very Bad Idea because:

The last time I had a fringe, I hated it beyond all belief.
Fringes don't suit me.
I have enough stuff to grow out anyway, what with layers and face-framing bits and everything, and I don't need something else.
If I cut one in at nine am, then I know I'll be growing it out by lunchtime.However, it's just so tempting. You know what I mean?

A couple of years ago, I had a scissor-related accident and chopped off a chunk of hair in the front, right in the middle of my forehead. It grew to a silly length, and I chopped it off again, and then now it's grown long again (to a nice length). When I pull all my hair back, I tend to pull that little bit down onto my face, because it just breaks it up a bit and makes my face look better.

Last night, I noticed two things: firstly, that that bit of hair was below my ears; and secondly, that whenever I pull it down, I also pull down a few other strands from one of my layers. Because it's such a tiny bit of hair, the ends are very thin.

I took to the scissors and cut that bit of hair bluntly at about eye level, which is where most of the thickness ends. It looks really, really good now: like something deliberate and fashionable, not like a random bit of hair that's fallen out.

And now it's given me the cutting bug :(

Talk me out of it! Please!!

GlennaGirl
July 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Buy a fake fringe!!!!! Just a light one. Or cut one out of a wig. That way you can put it on when the fringe urge strikes.

They make some VERY realistic-looking clip-in fringes nowadays.

Siava
July 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Do you have any pictures of you with fringe? If so, keep looking at them and remind yourself how much you really don't like it (if that's the case). The faux fringe is a great idea!

Periwinkle
July 3rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
I've never heard of a clip-in fringe. Where can I get one? How do they work?

I have decided to part my hair according to the fake fringe method (http://www.longhairloom.com/changeyourlook.html), which is happily reminding me just how annoying a fringe is :D

Darkhorse1
July 3rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
Instead of doing it yourself, perhaps go to a hair dresser to get their input(Just a consult). Also, play around with your part instead of going to the scissors. Try a new braid style---play around with it so you don't feel the urge to change it.

I'm growing out the majority of my bangs, but kept a fringe. I feel I look best with a bit of bangs, to shape my face. I love how my grown out bangs will give me versitility with my part, and am looking forward to when they are at my collarbone length (right now below my chin).

Good luck and remember to think long and hard before you cut. If you don't like fringe, and you feel you don't look good with it, why do you feel the urge to cut? Are you bored with the style? Perhaps get some high lights instead of cutting?

GlennaGirl
July 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM

I have decided to part my hair according to the fake fringe method (http://www.longhairloom.com/changeyourlook.html), which is happily reminding me just how annoying a fringe is :D

Here's a whole bunch of them on eBay. Maybe I'll get one: http://search.ebay.com/clip-on-bangs_W0QQcrlpZ1850513183Q5f9402QQfnuZ0QQfsooZ2QQf sopZ32QQkeywordZclipQ20onQ20bangsQQrprZ249QQxpufuZ x

Maravel
July 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Oh goodness. The only experience I've ever had with bangs was horrible.

I have a cowlick right up front, to the left side of my forehead. I got it in my head one day that I would look fabulous with bangs. My mother obliged me, and I ended up with bangs that, when wet, went straight across. When they dried, however, my cowlick caused the left side of them to rise about an inch higher than the right side. I was completely frustrated. I think I lived in those little barettes until they grew back out.

Bangs just seem like too much work for a low maintenance gal like me. :p

jojo
July 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM

you can buy a strip of clip in extentions off market stalls about £4 just chop one and you got your fringe!

I know what you mean about the cutting bug, i got it bad at the moment!

FrannyG
July 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
Don't. Do. It. And I'll tell you why.

The last time you had a fringe, you hated it beyond all belief.
Fringes don't suit you.
You have enough stuff to grow out anyway, what with layers and face-framing bits and everything, and you don't need something else.
If you cut one in at nine am, then you know you'll be growing it out by lunchtime.Just don't do it. Leave well enough alone. Have an ice cream cone. Give yourself a facial. Have a bath. Do anything, but put the scissors down!!!!

(BTW: They're bangs to us in Canada too--not just the Yanks) :)