PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take for you to get healthy hair?

uptosomeone
October 3rd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Healthy hair being what you feel is the best, or closes to the best, that your hair could get.:)

Avital88
October 3rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
my hair got a lot better in 2 years but nowhere near the best it can get,it has a past of heatstylling and coloring so to be at his best would take me years to grow out damage first..:(

Madora
October 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm blessed. I've always had healthy, strong hair. Great genes from both my folks.

Night_Kitten
October 3rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
My hair is still not the best it can get, as I have alot of taper from before I started taking better care of it...
It will probably take several years to get it to a notisably better condition, as I'm only willing to cut 1/2 my growth each time I trim...

prof-annie
October 3rd, 2011, 12:41 PM
two and a half years - the time it took to chop out bleached in highlights.

Rocket22
October 3rd, 2011, 01:58 PM
I would say a couple of years is a good start. Depending on how long you want your hair to be and how much you have to cut before you get to healthy. But you can make amazing changes in a fairly short amount of time if you practice good hair care. I know this personally :)

pink.sara
October 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
2 years 4 months to cut out Extreme bleach damage completely at APL.
My hair will always be a little damaged though as I chemical colour and bleach.

curlytm
October 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM
What a great question.

For a long time, I thought that if I continued to color/bleach my hair the way I was, and just babied it in all other regards, I could have hair that was "healthy enough."

But then, I decided that I wanted to re-visit my natural color, and not have hair that was "healthy ENOUGH" but "healthy, PERIOD."

So in the spring of 2011, bleached/toned/dyed my henna hair to a color that would blend nicely with my dark blonde/light brown roots. I achieved that in May 2011 and haven't touched it with color since.

I now have 2" of virgin hair and the remainder is in mediocre shape. It's currently between APL and BSL.

Today, in fact, I cut off about 1.5" of the most desperately frazzled ends. I thought I would be growing to BSL and trimming, but now, I feel I want to grow to waist, chop to BSL, and repeat until the damage is gone. We shall see.

So in my estimation, I should have virgin APL hair in 3-4 years? Maybe? I hope?

What about you, uptosomeone? What are your healthy hair goals?

meeta
October 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Just about one month.

Sunny_side_up
October 3rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
under a year for me. Regular big trims, a well balanced eating routine, increasing my activity levels on weekends, trying to get earlier nights... these and more contributed to good growth on me, just not much to show from the regular BIG trims!:p Goin to be about regular microtrims from here on, see if i can get consistent and strong growth through autumn to winter. The hemline will be evened out again after my layers i had my mum add with thinning sheers last month.

einna
October 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hmmm, after 10 months at LHC with frequent trims, my hair is pretty good. But know that most of it can get even better. In maybe 3-6 months, depending on trims, my hair will be all virgin, and thus healthier.
Still, I really dont think it will be the best it can be until I have done the good haircare thing for at least one more year, maybe two or three, when all my pree-LHC hair has been cut off. Lots of hairspray and SLS drying out my fragile hair.

xoxophelia
October 3rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
It has taken me since I joined to have OK hair. It will take me at least another two years to have all healthy hair.

pepperminttea
October 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Best I could get in terms of health; probably about as long as it takes to grow. Cutting off obviously damaged hair - previously dyed and permed - was the easy bit, the hard bit was then growing out and trimming the unprocessed hair that what was left. Not in too bad condition, but it had still suffered from very rough brushing and generally being unprotected.

In terms of length, well, I'll let you know when I get there. :D

coffinhert
October 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
It took me almost a year of Henna/cassia/CO/oil/acv to soften my dyed hair, but the damage wont be fully repaired till I grow it all out. That will take 4-5 yrs.

jojo
October 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
I was lucky Id already cut back my old long hair and started again, my hair is the healthiest its ever been.

SoulOfTheSea
October 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
It was instant, because last April I chopped my hair from past waist to APL, and with that chop came instant healthy hair. Now that I've been babying it back to waist since then, I still have healthy hair.

owlathena
October 3rd, 2011, 06:47 PM
A year has helped a ton, but since I'm going for length, its going to be years before all my damage has been cut off.

spidermom
October 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
I'm still waiting for the day. All my hair has been grown with LHC care (I've been a member for 6 years, pre-LHC hair was cut off), but I still get more split ends that I'm happy with. Maybe my hair will always be this way.

allycat
October 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM
I had about the bottom 5 inches of my hair that was previously dyed when I joined. The healthy length feels so silky and amazing, that sometimes I fiddle with the idea of cutting off the damage in one fell swoop just to have it all feel so good! But in the end I can't go shorter than bsl, so I'm microtrimming monthly and I'm down to about 4 inches left. It has a tendency to tangle that isn't there in the upper length.

Anyway, I predict about 2 years total to get it all while growing from BSL to WL.

Vanilla
October 3rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
It took me about 2 years total. I was dying my hair from 2005-2009, sometimes as often as every 3 weeks. I had corrective color done in the spring of 2009, and I just cut off the last of that color this spring. I think I've used a blowdryer on my new hair a total of 6 times in these two years of virgin growth.

Anisaa
October 3rd, 2011, 07:41 PM
I would say at least three years. My hair was color treated and it was extremely damaged. I let it grow about as much as I could for about a year. It looked very bad and I did not want to continue dying it so I cut it chin length, I had it that length for about 2 years until I cut all the dye out. So, it took at least 3 years of cutting to get rid of the color. Yes, it took me that LONG. Then, I would say it took me about 4-5 years to reach waist length. So I have been on a healthy long hair journey for about 9 years. I want to reach hip length and I am estimating that it will take me a year, to reach that length.

kidari
October 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
I just stopped doing most damaging things to it and then chopped it all off and continued avoiding damage to it. It's not perfect but the healthiest it's ever been. All of the damage was cut off so it was instant but it did take 1-2 years to grow it back to around shoulder/APL and I discovered the ease in taking care of healthy hair. Basically learning to take better care of it by doing less to it as well as learning quick easy updos and heat-free ways to style my hair were key in my journey. Never in my life have I had hair this length that's looked good without my having to spend 30 minutes heat styling it and coating it with tons of product.

MissManda
October 3rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
Let's see...

Time it took to grow out permed hair: 1.25 years
Time it took to grow out layered cut caused by removing perm damage: 2.5 years
Growing out damage from demi-permanent dye (yes, it did damage my hair): 2.5 years +

Mind you, I waited until my hair was reasonably long before I had the damage cut off because I would have been extremely depressed if I had hair that was shorter than APL. That's how much I dislike short hair on myself.

So almost three years from the time I got my second perm that caused the worst tangles and snarls I have ever experienced, my hair is 95% virgin with only a little more dye damage to be trimmed and S&Ded away. I don't think my hair has ever looked so healthy and beautiful and even though it could have been much, much longer if I hadn't microtrimmed so much, I wouldn't have such soft and thick ends.

Dars
October 4th, 2011, 01:17 AM
After pre LHC damage I had healthy hair within 1 year of joining (can't remember exact amount of months). :)