PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with hair down less damage with silk pillowcases?

bunzfan
October 3rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
So i discovered something last week if i sleep with my hair down i sleep 90 % better than i usually do, i have braided it since APL as i thought it was better. As i already have silk pillow cases would this cause a lot more damage? what do you think maybe the braid needs to be changed i have alot of hair and my single braid at night is pretty fat maybe 2 side braids would be better....

celebriangel
October 3rd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hmm. My solution to this is that I braid over my left shoulder so that the braid doesn't get in the way of me sleeping. Then again, I sleep on my side so it isn't an issue for me.

Maybe you could try a high scrunchie bun like some other members?

bunzfan
October 3rd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the idea but i found the bun very uncomfortable, i may try to side braids brought forward maybe that would work.

Madora
October 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Speaking from 30 yrs plus experience, I had a little tangling when sleeping with 2 braids.

However, when I began wearing my hair up on top of my head with a loosely braided bun, the tangles were just about non existent when I undid my braid the next morning.

Of course, this may not work for you if you find buns uncomfortable. The important thing is to find a style that lets you sleep comfortably.

Silk pillowcases are out of the question for me as they're too cold.

einna
October 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
Two side braids works better for me than a single braid, as the latter makes my layers fall out. I also use a satin pillowcase.

Now I am experimenting with a high scrunchie, as my braids are getting long enough to get stuck under my or DBF`s shoulders. Really annoing + possible damage.
I dont know how damaging it would be to leave it down, but I am very interested in knowing. Anyways I belive that sleep quality is the most important thing.

teal
October 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
I braid from the crown and coil that into a bun secured with spin pins. That seems to be the most effective solution for me. If I secure the bun with a scrunchie or elastic it will fall out by morning. A regular braid works, too. I can't sleep with my hair loose. I think in a past life it was a boa constrictor or something.

einna
October 3rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
I braid from the crown and coil that into a bun secured with spin pins. That seems to be the most effective solution for me. If I secure the bun with a scrunchie or elastic it will fall out by morning. A regular braid works, too. I can't sleep with my hair loose. I think in a past life it was a boa constrictor or something.

I think I might try this, but with two buns due to shortish, thick hair. It will give me braiding and bunning practise too. By braid from the crown, do you mean a french braid? And how high up do you bun it?

Oh, and LOL to the boa constrictor comment! :D

teal
October 3rd, 2011, 05:24 PM
I think I might try this, but with two buns due to shortish, thick hair. It will give me braiding and bunning practise too. By braid from the crown, do you mean a french braid? And how high up do you bun it?

Oh, and LOL to the boa constrictor comment! :D

No.. I mean I bend at the waist (or sit and bend over), gather the hair at the crown and start braiding out from there. I don't pony it or french braid it. My french braiding skills, heh... let's just say they "need improvement". LOL. :)

Kathie
October 3rd, 2011, 05:29 PM
Two side braids work well for me. In the past I've done a single braid but, at the moment I have a posture pillow, which is really uncomfortable with one braid when I lie on my back.

Torrin Paige
October 3rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
I have trouble sleeping with my hair braided. I can usually do it with pigtails, but
I still prefer it loose. What I've done is pull my bed out a few inches from the wall. Then, I drape my hair up and over the top of the bed and let it hang between the bed and the wall. That way I can roll back and forth during the night and my hair just stays up there without getting all tangled up with my husband and my dogs. :)

caiti42
October 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
No matter how I put my hair up I always seem to end it with it jabbing into the right side of my neck and end up with a sore neck for days. I sleep with mine down with a satin pillow case and I have had less damage since switching to satin. It also seems to retain moisture better as well.

luxepiggy
October 3rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
I sleep on a silk pillowcase with my hair loose, and my hair remains sleek & shiny in the morning with no tangles. Sleeping with my hair braided actually caused more breakage for me. I think a lot of it depends on what kind of sleeper you are. I don't move at all when I sleep; if you toss & turn it's probably not a good idea, KWIM?

No matter how I put my hair up I always seem to end it with it jabbing into the right side of my neck and end up with a sore neck for days. I sleep with mine down with a satin pillow case and I have had less damage since switching to satin. It also seems to retain moisture better as well.

I experienced this as well. My ends don't seem to dry out as quickly as they used to.

sheepofshalott
October 3rd, 2011, 08:26 PM
I move around a lot when I sleep and putting my hair in a braid (strangely) makes the tangles much worse than when it's loose. I use a satin pillowcase. I'm also more aware of it when it's loose and don't end up being strangled like I do with a braid!

Lunarise
October 4th, 2011, 12:31 AM
So here's a newbie question... is it really that damaging to sleep with your hair down and no satin pillow case? I never realized that caused that much damage.

katsrevenge
October 4th, 2011, 12:38 AM
So here's a newbie question... is it really that damaging to sleep with your hair down and no satin pillow case? I never realized that caused that much damage.

I'm not 100% sold on this either. I had nearly classic in HS and I didn't really do this binding it at night thing that often. I do it these days mostly because my dog gets tangled in it (tiny chihuahua who sleeps on my pillow) and my man was laying on it and yanking it in his sleep. Both hurt.

luxepiggy
October 4th, 2011, 03:30 AM

Generally I'd say it's not a huge deal, but it depends on the person. Different hair has different needs. Personally, I always sleep with my hair down and it's just fine. However, I can notice a difference between using a silk pillow case and using a cotton one.

pepperpot
October 4th, 2011, 03:44 AM

When I had hip length hair for years I wore it down to sleep and it never caused any damage. I also didn't use satin or silk pillowcases. Maybe it just depends on hairtype, or how resilient the hair is.

Madora
October 4th, 2011, 07:24 AM

It can be, depending on how you sleep and how tangled your hair gets.

It's how you deal with the tangles that does/does not cause additional damage. Hence, to minimize the tangles, many like to use silk pillowcases and wear their hair up, or confine it in some way to avoid tangling. It makes sense to protect your hair as much as possible if you want to grow it long. Not having to deal with a lot of tangles in the morning helps speed along the hair routine too!

bunzfan
October 4th, 2011, 07:47 AM
O.k so an update last night i tried sleeping with twin braids and it was more comfy than one braid but, not as nice as with hair down. I have satin pillowcases and don't move much i don't think it should cause that much damage.

Bethfriend
October 4th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I've always slept with my hair down, it's only shoulder length now though. So I'm not sure if I could put it up at all. ): I will try a silk pillowcase though!

einna
October 4th, 2011, 11:27 AM
[quote=teal;1806669]No.. I mean I bend at the waist (or sit and bend over), gather the hair at the crown and start braiding out from there. /quote]

I like that idea! Thanks for explaining. :)

Lucie159
October 4th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I just recently got a silk pillowcase, I have noticed that my hair is heathier, but that may be because I learned how to wash it ... (from Torrin Paige btw.. Torrin you ROCK!) And I leave it down, because I find that my curls stay more organized and its easier to do my 2nd day hair without too much fuss. :)

Anje
October 4th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Well, I tend to end up with my braids underneath me, far from the protection of any fancy pillowcases. Or occasionally getting the tassels chewed on by my cat. So sleeping with my hair braided doesn't seem to help much for me.

swearnsue
October 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I love my silk pillowcase. Noone is allowed to touch it or sleep on it but me, not even my kitty. I hand wash it every few days with mild soap and hang it to dry. When I sleep on it I can turn my head side to side and it doesn't pull my hair like cotton will. When I wake up in the morning my hair isn't all "bed head" either, more proof that the silk is gentler on my hair. You wouldn't think it would make so much of a difference, but it does!

TitaniaOfFairys
October 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I have trouble sleeping with my hair braided. I can usually do it with pigtails, but
I still prefer it loose. What I've done is pull my bed out a few inches from the wall. Then, I drape my hair up and over the top of the bed and let it hang between the bed and the wall. That way I can roll back and forth during the night and my hair just stays up there without getting all tangled up with my husband and my dogs. :)

This is exactly what I do :D:D:D
Sometimes I'm okay with the braid or the high bun, but if I want straight hair next morning I just let it loose.

(BTW I love your Youtube page ;) Sorry for the Off :) )

thelittlestdoc
October 4th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I've worn my BSL hair in two loose-ish braids since APL. I definitely sleep better with it in braids or loose than with a single braid or a bun. Have you tried a braid to the side? My sister always sleeps on her left and braids her hair to the right and it works well for her :D

Flying Penguin
October 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I sleep with my hair loose on a satin pillowcase and it seems fine, at this length anyway (almost BSL). I tend to toss and turn quite a bit when I sleep too. What I do is split my hair down the middle in the back and bring it in front of my shoulders when I'm laying on my back. Then when I turn over to the side, I lift my head and sweep away any hair that would get caught under my head or neck. (I sweep it back and over the opposite shoulder, or just back behind my head.) If I turn back to my back, then I fix it again. Sounds like a lot of fixing with it when I'm sleeping, but I do it automatically now... I hope that made sense. It works for me. :) I've tried sleeping in braids or a bun, but it's not as comfortable for me.

darkwaves
October 5th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Silk pillowcases are out of the question for me as they're too cold.[/COLOR] Me, too! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I've tried silk and satin (and satin silk) and it does not help me sleep! (Not to say that I need flannelette, but given how cold my house is when it's 30 below outside, I really like it. And when my head is cold, aka on satin, I do not sleep well.)

I like the idea of the high braid, as you described. Thanks!

bunzfan
October 6th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Thanks everyone for all your comments they have been very helpful:flower: i was thinking everyone on here wore they hair up for bed and i was doing a deadly sin, i tried twin braids versus sleeping with my hair down and its more comfortable to sleep with it down. As i sleep on silk pillowcases and there are no tangles i'm hoping this won't cause any damage.