PDA

View Full Version : Going purple?

Immera
October 2nd, 2011, 05:02 PM
I'm considering going purple around Halloween.

I have never used any dyes before, so I'm a complete noob.

I want it to be temporary (two to three weeks tops); over my medium to dark brown hair. I don't want it to be screaming purple, still have to look at least a bit professional.

Any insight?

I understand Manic Panic Cream might be the way to go, but I have also heard it could turn my tub and me purple as well.

I had a friend in high school who dyed her blonde hair green with koolaid? A couple of packets of grape is tempting, not to mention cheap. Any one have any experiences?

coneyisland
October 2nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Manic Panic has a line of hair gel that is indicated to wash right out. Purple is among the colors offered.

http://www.manicpanic.com/dhgels.html

Cassie 123
October 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Neither Manic Panic cream nor purple Kool-Aid will be very visible over dark virgin hair, in my experience. Bleach always removed it from my tub just fine; just watch that you don't splatter your walls. Coating your forehead and neck with a border of petroleum jelly, and wearing gloves, will keep it from staining your skin.

CurlyCap
October 2nd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Manic Panic works great on lighter hair. Dark Brown and black won't show colors well. You'll only get what looks like highlights in really bright sunshine.

I did use gloves to apply and used petroleum jelly on my forehead. I also rinsed out in my kitchen sink because it's stainless steel. I didn't want to worry about things not washing out.

If it's for Halloween and you have dark hair, I'd just get a spray. It'll show up better and be easier to get rid of. Manic Panic does come out in with 6 or 7 washes, which, for me, was almost a month!

Kristin
October 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM
I've been wanting some blue or purple highlights, but don't want the bleach damage. I think I'm going to try clip-in highlight extensions. Might be an option for you; no commitment and probably more visible than Manic Panic or Kool-Aide over dark hair.

luxepiggy
October 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
It's going to depend a lot on how dark your natural colour is. If it's fairly dark brown, and you add purple, you're likely to end up at black with a purple sheen. My natural colour is dark brown (left) and I use a deep royal blue deposit-only dye (not Manic Panic but the same type of product) to turn my hair blue-black (right):
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/blueblackhairbeforeafteraction.jpg

"After" pic taken by Bill D. (^(oo)^)

Anje
October 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
I didn't have any luck at all with grape Koolaid when I tried it on my hair when I was middle-schoolish. I've heard other people say that it particularly doesn't seem effective for coloring hair. (The blue stuff did a remarkably effective job at dyeing my little brother's scalp blue, though. LOL.)

So I'd advise you to use a product like Manic Panic rather than Koolaid, and don't be surprised if it's definitely on the dark and subtle side.

hypersensitive
October 2nd, 2011, 11:28 PM
It's going to depend a lot on how dark your natural colour is. If it's fairly dark brown, and you add purple, you're likely to end up at black with a purple sheen. My natural colour is dark brown (left) and I use a deep royal blue deposit-only dye (not Manic Panic but the same type of product) to turn my hair blue-black (right):
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/blueblackhairbeforeafteraction.jpg

"After" pic taken by Bill D. (^(oo)^)

Oh my gosh luxepiggy! This is so pretty!! I always wanted that color! I will definitely remember this for the future. My virgin color used to be just like yours!

Immera
October 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks.

Piggy, your earlier posts encouraged me to consider it.

I've talked with my supervisor, he thinks it'll be funny, although probably only for Halloween.

I don't like hair spray or hair gel much normally. I'm thinking about trying the Manic Panic or something similar. I'm a daily washer so 5 to 7 washes for me is a week.

I have read comments online from folks who used Manic Panic only to have the color rub off on everything their hair touched (pillows, clothes, etc.) Did any of you have that experience?

PolarCathy
October 3rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
Hi, please reveal the secret. :) What dye is that? TIA.

Mutinous
October 3rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
Manic Panic and other temporary dyes can sometimes take ages to wash out, be cautious! It depends on how often you wash your hair and indeed how porous it is, so take care!

einna
October 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM

Oh my, both colours are soo beautiful! your hair is amazing!

Vanilla
October 3rd, 2011, 08:00 PM
I've used special effects dye (it's vegetable based) on my blonde hair. I didn't have to lighten my hair at all for the purple to show up well, and there was no damage. The only things is that purple washes out and leaves a gray color.

I've heard of people using this dye on darker hair and it's more of a gloss, like luxe piggy's picture shows.

Quixii
October 3rd, 2011, 08:11 PM
I have read comments online from folks who used Manic Panic only to have the color rub off on everything their hair touched (pillows, clothes, etc.) Did any of you have that experience?
For me, that only happened the first 1-2 washes after the initial dyeing. It came off the shower floor pretty well and the counter top fairly well and I didn't bother with the pillow because I just put a towel that I didn't care about over it for the first couple days.
Be warned, though, it may last longer than you wish. I tend to make it last about a month on my otherwise virgin hair.

elfgirl
October 3rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
I've used both Manic Panic (Vampire Red) and Special Effects (Blood Red) in my hair on different occasions. My hair was a light enough dark blonde (hope that makes sense), that I didn't need to use any bleach. I just did streaks in my hair both times. The MP I did myself twice, and the SE I had professionally applied once (and I made sure they didn't use bleach ;) )

I'd say try either one....the MP seemed to stay in my hair better (ie: the water didn't seem to turn red every single time I washed my hair, which happened Often with the SE), I'm not sure why.

Go ahead and see what works best for you. I wish you the best! Good luck! :D

elfgirl
October 3rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
Also, I agree with Quixii, use a towel over your pillow (just in case the dye rubs off on it)

|Xei
October 4th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I highly recommend Punky Colours. They make lovely purple dyes, and they double as a great conditioning treatment.

Alex Lou
October 4th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Kool Aide isn't gonna work on dark hair. But the bright temporary dyes definitely will. I get a bright and deep, true purple over my light auburn hair. It will rub off on things, but only when it's damp. To get a more intense result, leave the dye on for as long as possible, way longer than the instructions say. Some people keep it on overnight.

I don't think that you need to worry too much about it looking okay for work. A few washes and it will fade to a purplish brown. Since burgundy dye is considered in the "natural" range and is professionally acceptable, you should be fine.

Getting a wig is also an option: http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-New-Long-Curl-Purple-Cosplay-Wig-Wig-Cap-Very-Beautiful-Gift-/220861782068?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item336c635834

Immera
October 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Have you all ever used a Neutral Protein Filler? I had a friend suggest it to make the color show up more since I'm unwilling to use bleach.

Immera
October 14th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Welcome to my world. So a few weeks ago I decided to dye my hair purple (should be pretty temporary).
So I have never used dye before, and I am beginning to see why people pay others to do it. I started out sectioning but that only tangled my hair, so in the end it was a lot more like finger painting.
I managed to not get that much on the bathroom, but I was purple, now not just the hair. I got most of it off, except my back.
Now my hair is marinating. It didn't all fit under the little dye shower cap, so I wrapped the rest of my head in saran wrap.
By the way, Punky Purple smells like grapes.
This should be interesting.