PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin in hair?

Ava666
October 2nd, 2011, 04:35 PM
So it is Halloween season, that means pumpkin carving, which almost always means pumpkin guts. Anyone ever use pumpkin in their hair? I know I'm going to carve my first pumpkin either today or tomorrow, I'm thinking of putting some goo in my hair and seeing what it does. Anyone ever try this?

Shelly
October 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
I've never tried it. Let us know the results. :lol:

gypsymoth
October 2nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
I'd be afraid it would be hard to wash out. Maybe you'd like to try putting it in a blender first? But good luck! :)

aisha.christine
October 2nd, 2011, 05:32 PM
I always wonder what to do with the pumpkin guts. I feel so wasteful when I throw them away (and sort of like a pumpkin murderer) Definitely let us know if it works!

Carriegirl
October 2nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
I say go for it! I'd love to hear how it works out! I usually have canned pumpkin so I was going to check the protein content to see if pumpkin would be a decent protein treatment or not, but I don't have any right now. Were you thinking this would be a good protein treatment or more moisturizing?

tigereye
October 2nd, 2011, 05:45 PM
Mmm love pumpkin. I normally scoop out as much of the flesh as I can, make soup and set aside the seeds for nibbles.
I don't see why you couldn't try. If I were you I would give it a good old long blitz in the blender first though to get rid of the stringy bits that could be difficult to wash out from your hair.

heartgoesboom
October 2nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
lol, every day there is something new to put on our hair :P

Orangerthanred
October 2nd, 2011, 08:34 PM
I don't know about the inside of the pumpkin, but eating the seeds can make your hair grow faster. http://www.ehow.com/about_5479877_pumpkin-seeds-hair-growth.html

boomtownrat
October 2nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
I've used leave-in that contains pumpkin, but it was store-bought. It smells lush and my hair seems to like it OK, but I think it stains my hair now that it's all virgin silver, so I don't use it often anymore. That doesn't quite answer your question, I know, but at least I can report that it didn't ruin my hair. :)

misspurdy06
October 2nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
I don't know about the veins and guts but seeds

Effect on Hair Growth

There are many causes of hair loss, including poor health or long-term illness, genetics, stress and hormonal imbalance. A lack of important nutrients in your diet can also lead to hair loss or a nonproductive scalp. The oil from pumpkin seeds are believed to effect testosterone and androgen levels in the body. Lack of androgens in the body is believed to be a primary cause of hair loss. Eating a handful of seeds a day can benefit in the fight for hair growth.

Read more: Pumpkin Seeds and Hair Growth | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5479877_pumpkin-seeds-hair-growth.html#ixzz1ZgaV5smE

SoulOfTheSea
October 2nd, 2011, 09:37 PM
I haven't personally, but I love pumpkin anything! Can't wait to see the results! :)

KwaveT
October 2nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I don't know about the inside of the pumpkin, but eating the seeds can make your hair grow faster. http://www.ehow.com/about_5479877_pumpkin-seeds-hair-growth.html

This link here mentions pumpkin seed oil. I think that would work better than trying to grind up pumpkins and probably a lot less messy.

tbearoz
October 2nd, 2011, 11:44 PM
Below is an extract regarding Pumpkin Seed Oil from a wholesaler. I use Pumpkin Seed Oil in my AHA Peel.

I am in the middle of making my hair conditioner (I had to sit down, I walked into the door frame, I was just too excited about making my conditioner) and after seeing this post and reading the extract below I am going to add it to my conditioner.

Ingredients: Cucurbita Pepo Seed Oil

Description:
Botanical name: Cucurbita pepo

Extraction method: Cold pressed

Common uses: Pumpkin seed oil is a very popular, all purpose carrier oil. It is used by manufacturers (particularly as a conditioning agent in hair care products), aromatherapists, and massage therapists.
Pumpkin seed oil is much more popular in Europe where it is valued for its skin healing properties (specifically sores, inflammations) due to its high zinc and omega content.

Hope this is helpful.

Ava666
October 3rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
well, I gutted the pumpkin, and after carving an awesome picture, I seperated the seeds out, put the guts through the blender, and then put it through a colander type thing (much smaller holes) and now I have thick liquid sitting here waiting for me to untangle my hair, and then I will let it sit for 1 1/2 hours and then wash it out, I will let you all know how it turns out in the morning. :)

I'm thinking it will moisturize. I don't think I would use it on light colored hair, because I'm guessing it will stain orange. but once again I will let you all know :D

Ava666
October 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Well, I think my hair likes pumpkin :) more than banana. it was really soft while rinsing, the water turned orange. my hair is really soft right now, and shiny. and I have decided I don't need to trim my ends XD apperently i didn't get everything rinsed out, but I only notice if i'm looking close. Just a warning it does smell funky. I don't notice any staining except my fingernails (but thats from carving the pumpkin) but then my hair is darker. So I am satisfied with this experiment, and I will keep guts from more pumpkins.

meeta
October 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Wow, I wonder if this will actually work. I might just try it too!