PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate shampoo everyday?

GracieRae
October 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Does anyone here use a sulfate shampoo daily? Or every other day? I have a friend with such beautiful shiny long hair and she said she uses pert plus and blow dries everyday or every other day. I saw her daughter recently and she has the same beautiful shiny long hair her mother has so I asked her what she does, she said pert plus, that's it. No oilings, no deep treatments. And here I am oiling and co washing and my hair doesn't look half as good LOL :) it kills me! Almost makes me feel like not putting so much effort in though. What do you think?

Badwolf
October 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
No two people have the same hair. What works for one person isn't going to work for everyone. The fact that she and her daughter seem to have the same beautiful shiny hair might suggest that the condition of her hair has more to do with genetics than the products she uses.

MsBubbles
October 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Genetics. :(

celebriangel
October 2nd, 2011, 05:28 PM
Yup. Genetics. There are people who utterly abuse their hair and still can grow it long.

The daily washers here that I have spoken to mostly CO. I have seen some who use a very dilute sulphate poo or sulphate-free poo, though. SLS is, in the end, a protein denaturant, and hair is made mostly of protein, so it's not something I would want to be putting on my hair/skin, personally, and I think that if you had really fragile hair, over time the effect of daily washing vs every three day washings with it would build up.

If you don't like your hair - well, why? If you ask around LHC I'm sure you can find some advice. The best advice on here, though, is that everyone's hair is different and there is no such thing as a product/routine which suits everyone.

Kiwiwi
October 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM
The best advice on here, though, is that everyone's hair is different and there is no such thing as a product/routine which suits everyone.

True!
Plus getting to really know and understand your hair and how to take care of it. I now love my hair now that I stopped fighting it and not accepting and appreciating it for what it is :)

jojo
October 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Annoying but true its your genes. Different strokes for different folks!

Copasetic
October 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
Some people can do everything your not "supposed" to do to your hair, and still have amazing hair. I wish I was one of them!

monsterna
October 2nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
Lately I've been using sulfates every day, although a little diluted in water and don't use it on the length. It helps my bang area not get greasy quicker, since I wash at night and sleep on it. Sometimes I use cones, sometimes I don't. Lately I've gone into a more benign neglect slump, but it's still doing fine.

cupcake0619
October 2nd, 2011, 06:34 PM
I wash my hair with sls shampoo every day. Usually its very slightly diluted in my hand but not much.

teela1978
October 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
I wash with sulfates every couple of days. Sometimes daily if I end up being active on a "non-wash" day. My scalp isn't happy with sulfate free or CO. My hair doesn't stand up well to daily blowdrying, but does fine with daily-ish washing. I've never really understood the hate for sulfates. They clean well, and work for a large portion of the population.

I think my hair looks healthy :shrug:

BlazingHeart
October 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
I've gotten to hip-length while using SLS shampoos daily in the past, but I have hair that is virtually indestructible, so that is NOT to say it's a good idea.

~Blaze

ktani
October 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Sulfates are not evil. It depends on how well a shampoo is formulated as to how strong or drying it can be.

As to your friend? I agree. It is genetics.

longhairedwolf
October 2nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
I use a sulphate shampoo, and wash my hair every second day. Both my shampoo and conditioner have cones, as well. My hair is generally soft and shiny. I too don't understand some of the dislike for sulphates and cones that I've seen on this site. Having said that, I agree with the others that everyone's hair is different, a lot depends on your genetics, and you should do whatever works for you.

GracieRae
October 2nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
I wash with sulfates every couple of days. Sometimes daily if I end up being active on a "non-wash" day. My scalp isn't happy with sulfate free or CO. My hair doesn't stand up well to daily blowdrying, but does fine with daily-ish washing. I've never really understood the hate for sulfates. They clean well, and work for a large portion of the population.

I think my hair looks healthy :shrug:

Your hair is my dream hair! Yes, it looks very healthy :)

meowmeow
October 2nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
I shampoo everyday concentrating on the scalp. My hair is fine. :) Like everyone says, everyone is different so certain cleansing methods won't work for everyone.

Ashenputtel
October 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
It's funny I don't understand why people use sulphates actually. They are harsh. My scalp is so much better since I stoped using them.

Some people say they are carciogenic, some people say it's false. I'd rather stay on the safe side.

Also on my black list: cones, parabens, phtalate.

teela1978
October 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM
It's funny I don't understand why people use sulphates actually. They are harsh. My scalp is so much better since I stoped using them.

Some people say they are carciogenic, some people say it's false. I'd rather stay on the safe side.

Also on my black list: cones, parabens, phtalate.

Different things work for different people. I've tried quitting sulphates a few times, each time my scalp quickly developed little pimples/sores all over. Others have the same result with sulfates. Its best to use what works for you, sulphates work for me.

Cones work for me as well. There's not a huge difference with/without, but my hair is much easier to detangle with cones. So I use them to make life easier. Better living through chemistry and all that ;)

spidermom
October 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
It's maddening how some people can get away with all the "don'ts" that we live by.

The concentration of sulfates required to be carcinogenic is more than most of us will ever send down our drains in a lifetime.

Ashenputtel
October 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Different things work for different people. I've tried quitting sulphates a few times, each time my scalp quickly developed little pimples/sores all over. Others have the same result with sulfates. Its best to use what works for you, sulphates work for me.

Cones work for me as well. There's not a huge difference with/without, but my hair is much easier to detangle with cones. So I use them to make life easier. Better living through chemistry and all that ;)

If they work for you then by all mean use them.

I don't use cone because they are highly transformed and cause a lot of pollution. My hair actually likes them. They're also completely non toxic for the body, so no issues there about that.

But anyway I'm off topic. I react really poorly to sulphates that's the first reason I don't use them.

Maktub
October 2nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
I have a friend with AMAZING long hair, and she also does this daily washing !
But she otherwise takes care of it (as in not abusing it with blowdrying, coloring, etc.) I agree to genetics, her hair is so thick and her texture also, as many other south-americans I have met... i,m sure she really has strong hair genetics !

bonnie1735
October 3rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
I also use a sulfate shampoo every day. I tried CO and CWC without sulfates but my scalp does better with the sulfates. Not as much ichies. I also use cones because of the tangles. My hair is currently touching tail bone and is very thick. Genetics. My mom has the same hair and my grandfather on my dad's side had real thick hair too. However both of my brothers are going bald so I guess I got a double dose of genetics.

nobeltonya
October 3rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
I love <3 Sunsilk shampoo, which has SLES [and cones, if I'm not mistaken], and my hair looks best when I wash it every day. A few weeks ago, I tried not washing and it looked and felt HORRIBLE. I oil every/every other night and condition the ends, but still have to wash every day. I've tried several different things: CO, not washing, WO.. and nothing works as well as regular old shampoo and conditioner every day.. *shrugs*

alwayssmiling
October 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
The reason I avoid sulphates is because I get a halo of frizz after using them. When I CO or use a sulphate free shampoo I have very little frizz. Often curly haired people have trouble with frizz if we use sulphate shampoo. My sister who has pin straight hair uses ANY shampoo and still looks shiny and healthy. Annoying!

luthien_belewen
October 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
I've been daily washing my hair with sulfate shampoo and basic conditioner forever, with long hair and short hair--and my hair looks the best this way. I don't blow dry very much or use styling products though. I've tried the "gentle" methods--CO, sulfate-free, diluting the shampoo, washing less, etc. but my hair looks and feels bad with those methods! I think the reason is my scalp's very greasy. I could probably get away with washing my hair twice a day in fact, but I don't want to waste the water. I usually have little damage in my hair.

I agree w/ the other posters who are saying it's genetics, and probably just hair type. My mom's hair is the same way, and she's in her 50s. We've never had dryness problems. We both have problems with very limp, flat hair though!

Masara
October 4th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I shampoo every day and nearly always with sulphate shampoos. My hair is very fine and seems to need the suphates to lift it away from the scalp a bit. I've tried non sulphate shampoos but most of them make my hair feel lank and my scalp feels as if it aches. Some work, but not two days in a row. I've also got very hard water and I feel I need the sulphates to deal with it.
I was CWC, then spent a large part of last year actually shampooing the length as well. Now I'm back to CWC.

So much depends on every individual's hair. I don't know if my hair would be "healthier" or grow faster without sulphates but I suspect that I wouldn't like it as much and I would rather have hair I actually like.

Pixie0763
October 4th, 2011, 08:45 AM
My hair isn't long ... yet, but I wash sulfate & paraben free CO daily. Once my hair gets shoulder length, I'll drop back to every 2nd or 3rd day. I haven't touched a heated hair appliance in over 3 years.

MychelleC
October 4th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate are actually considered mild surfactants suitable for daily use. The former is the primary surfactant in most commercial shampoos. I don't use these in the shampoos I make because there are much nicer, more mild surfs that I prefer to use, but Sodium Laureth Sulfate is in my favorite commercial shampoo (Matrix Smooth System). Not every head of hair can handle strong surfs and need something more gentle, and many heads don't seem to handle surfactants well at all. Every head is different, but it's good to know the ingredients in the products we use. Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate are defintitely suitable for daily use for many people. (Though if I washed daily my hair would never dry!)