PDA

View Full Version : Why does treating hair right increase ponytail circumference?

buttercupmcgee
October 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
My hair has thickened up significantly since joining LHCa/aka putting down the dye and heat tools. My ponytail has nearly doubled in size I'd say. I thought it was all in my head, so I ran a test...I used to wrap these little holders I have around 3 times, and now they only go around twice.

Anyway, I'm wondering why this is....are the strands themselves thicker? Have I actually grown this much new hair? Was literally half my hair broken off above my ear before, and I just didn't realize it? It always looked reasonably healthy to me....

Has anyone else had this experience?

Madora
October 2nd, 2011, 12:46 PM
It is because of new hair growth.

Shelly
October 2nd, 2011, 12:47 PM
When using chemical treatments and heated styling tools, the hair has a tenancy to break off and/or fall out prematurely. Once that stuff is stopped and the hair is taken care of properly, all those hairs that have broken off and fallen out grow which could very easily put a lot of thickness into the hair. I just found out that the circumference of ky ponytail increased by a full inch. I have never dine chemical treatments on my hair and I haven't used any heated styling tools on it for years. My hair was just falling out that much due to stress. Now, with all the new growth, my ponytail is thicker and I suspect it will get even thicker yet once all the new growth gets long enough to put in the ponytail.

It is something to be happy about. It means your hair is happy.

celebriangel
October 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
I lost a fair amount of thickness by using chemical dyes - the hair was just caused to fall out, no idea why. Now the dye regrowth has reached my high ponytail, which is now much thicker than it was.

Panth
October 3rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Quite simply: because you stop breaking of hairs before they become long enough to reach the ponytail.

Yozhik
October 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
I noticed this after about of year of being on the forums! I think I gained about .5 inch, if not an entire inch just by combing my hair more gently and keeping it up. :D

It's great to see how one's growth/thickness potential can be so drastically increased with a little more care. :)

buttercupmcgee
October 3rd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Agreed! It's so encouraging. I was utterly flabbergasted because it's not as if my hair before looked half broken above the ear:shrug:....how interesting, and great!

Panth
October 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM
I noticed this after about of year of being on the forums! I think I gained about .5 inch, if not an entire inch just by combing my hair more gently and keeping it up. :D

I got exactly the same result. Stopped "angry combing", stopped wearing hairbands (mostly), stopped re-tightening ponytails, started wearing hair up nearly 100% of the time, started using a silk satin sleep cap. Within about 6-8 months I'd gained 3/8" circumference, up from 3 and 1/2" to 3 and 7/8".

I think the very short hairs are very good at hiding. That's certainly true for my short bits at the temples, which only really appear after I've got rained on or when it's very windy. Other times it's actually quite difficult to separate them out on purpose, even though I know they're there.

CaityBear
October 3rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Could also be because you were pulling out a lot of hair before so that's also another reason.