PDA

View Full Version : What's happening with my scalp

Hamh
October 2nd, 2011, 07:25 AM
Advice please!

I think I have psriosis but I think it could be seb dem as it's never been professionally diagnosed. Whatever it is, I wash with sls shampoo and then conditioner (cone and non) and wash every 3 days. By day 3 my scalp is angry! sometimes really sore and painful to move the scalp hair.

I'm confused with what is actually aggravating this for me, if it was the sls wouldn't it react directly after the wash? Or is it my head does not like to wait 3 days for a wash?

Anyone else had similar troubles and found a solution? Thanks for any ideas, I'm sick of it now and desperate to find a way to help!!

pepperminttea
October 2nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
Get it checked out by a doctor before you change anything in your routine, they'll be able to tell you what it is for sure. :)

jojo
October 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
^^ agreed with above poster. In the meantime try sulphate free shampoos which are watered down and cone free condishs.

GRU
October 2nd, 2011, 09:42 AM
What calmed my scalp down was stopping the shampoo (cone-free CO-washing only, using very thorough massaging technique for effective but gentle scrubbing), washing every other day at a minimum, and using an acidic rinse to follow up.

Madora
October 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Get it checked out by a doctor before you change anything in your routine, they'll be able to tell you what it is for sure. :)

Yes, I agree with pepperminttea! Since your scalp is so aggravated, it is best to see a professional and get help. Good luck!

Safira
October 2nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Advice please!

I think I have psriosis but I think it could be seb dem as it's never been professionally diagnosed. Whatever it is, I wash with sls shampoo and then conditioner (cone and non) and wash every 3 days. By day 3 my scalp is angry! sometimes really sore and painful to move the scalp hair.

I'm confused with what is actually aggravating this for me, if it was the sls wouldn't it react directly after the wash? Or is it my head does not like to wait 3 days for a wash?

Anyone else had similar troubles and found a solution? Thanks for any ideas, I'm sick of it now and desperate to find a way to help!!

Well, if your scalp likes aloe vera gel, maybe you should try it, not shampoo. One summer I burned my scalp and that hurted so much. I used aloe vera replacing shampoo and that worked.

I think also that you should see your doctor.

Hamh
October 2nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the replies and opinion I really do appreciate it. I have just washed using watered down tresseme Naturals low sls shampoo and the no cone conditioner. I also did my first acv rinse in between (scared of the smell so not sure about doing it last!). I didn't leave it on for that long so maybe next wash I might soak the scalp for a while before shampooing. On drying now, I can still see a ton of flakes if I scratch the scalp but the soreness has eased. I'm also going to try washing every other day for a little while and poss CO - acv before or after I ponder? I will go to the doctor at some point but I'm pretty sure that they will tell me to use the shampoo (Alphosyl) they prescribe (yes they have prescribed this without looking at my head once!!!) as this covers both psoriasis and seb derm. Thanks again for your time x

GRU
October 2nd, 2011, 01:17 PM
The idea with the acidic rinse (you can use some citric acid or lemon juice in water if you're afraid of the vinegar smell) is to do it last so that the scalp and hair are returned to their slightly-acidic natural state at the end -- especially shampoos and even some conditioners tend to be very alkaline, so then your scalp has to go into a bit of "overdrive" to return to its baseline level.

Hamh
October 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
The idea with the acidic rinse (you can use some citric acid or lemon juice in water if you're afraid of the vinegar smell) is to do it last so that the scalp and hair are returned to their slightly-acidic natural state at the end -- especially shampoos and even some conditioners tend to be very alkaline, so then your scalp has to go into a bit of "overdrive" to return to its baseline level.

Thanks for the explanation I understand now! Think I will bite the bullet and go for the final rinse next time, do I rinse this out with water though? God sorry I'm demanding arent I!

GRU
October 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the explanation I understand now! Think I will bite the bullet and go for the final rinse next time, do I rinse this out with water though? God sorry I'm demanding arent I!

Hey, if you don't ask, how will you learn??? ;)

Some people rinse it out and others don't. Most people find that the smell dissipates completely when it dries even if you don't rinse it, but there are a few people who can still smell it even if they rinse it out... in other words, your mileage may vary! :lol:

Also, don't know if you've been told, but a VERY dilute mixture is used. I use as little as a tablespoon (30ml) of ACV to a litre of water.

Hamh
October 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks GRU your a star! My rinse was a small dash in 2litres after going crosseyed reading about rinses so no worries there!

GRU
October 2nd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks GRU your a star! My rinse was a small dash in 2litres after going crosseyed reading about rinses so no worries there!

I hope you find something that helps.... my SD tries to creep back up on me if I don't CO-wash at least every 2-3 days, but between the thorough scrubs, the no-shampoo, and the ACV rinses, my scalp has been happier the past two years than it has ever been in the past two decades!!!!

Hamh
October 3rd, 2011, 12:14 AM
I'm definitely going to co every 2 days followed with acv rinse. I will try this for a couple if weeks and bump this thread with an update then of any breakthrough!

GRU
October 3rd, 2011, 03:56 AM
Please do keep us informed, good or bad. And if it's not improving at all or if it worsens, please get in to see your doctor ASAP. Life's too short to suffer an insufferable scalp!