PDA

View Full Version : SMT help :(

hellopanpan
October 2nd, 2011, 01:29 AM
Sooooo I did an SMT today for the first time and I left it in for about five hours. When I rinsed it out by hair was not feeling silky smooth it was kind of tangly feeling. But sometimes my hair is just like that wet so I figured I would wait 'till it dried. It's dry now and I think I did something wrong. My hair IS soft to the touch, but at the same time it's pretty tangly, like if I run my fingers through it it's getting stuck a lot and the ends seem a little dry. Not crunchy, but just sort of dry. I was really excited for super silky hair :( Any ideas on what it could be? Maybe the honey? :doh: I soaked my hair in olive oil over night the other night and that turned out amazing.

skyblue
October 2nd, 2011, 01:58 AM
What kind of conditioner did you use??

hellopanpan
October 2nd, 2011, 02:00 AM
V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze.

skyblue
October 2nd, 2011, 02:17 AM
is there lots of protein in that one?
I find that protein really dries my hair and causes that tangley feeling
not an experp by any means lol but try a moisture conditioner or re-wet your hair
and put just a little EVOL on your ends
Hopefully one of our hair guru's will see your post soon ;)

hellopanpan
October 2nd, 2011, 02:27 AM
I don't think it has any protein in it, I saw a list once and it said it didn't have any. But I don't think my hair likes protein either, coconut oil is protein right? When I did coconut oil masks my hair turned into a crunchy mess. I think I'm gonna go do that and rewet and put some EVOO :D Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it :heartbeat

pepperminttea
October 2nd, 2011, 02:30 AM
Are you usually a 'cone user? If I use 'cones without sulphates I get tangly build-up.

coconut oil is protein right? When I did coconut oil masks my hair turned into a crunchy mess.

Coconut oil doesn't contain protein, but it inhibits protein loss during washing. :)

hellopanpan
October 2nd, 2011, 02:42 AM
Are you usually a 'cone user? If I use 'cones without sulphates I get tangly build-up.

Coconut oil doesn't contain protein, but it inhibits protein loss during washing. :)

Hmm, I'm not sure if the V05 conditioner has cones in it, but that's what I use to CO wash my hair. And then after that I just spritz in some detangler (which I did today) and thats about it.

I think maybe my hair is just tangly and I was expecting the heavens to open up and give me Pantene commercial hair haha :p My hair is a lot softer than usual, but these tangles are killing me. No matter how much I comb, one move of my hair and it has little knots in it again :(

Sundial
October 2nd, 2011, 02:57 AM
The honey is a possible culprit too. I remember a similar issue came up in either the Honey Lightening thread or the SMT thread where someone had a similar problem and katani said it could be a problem with a buildup (was it wax from honey or something?) which mostly happens with raw honey or something. I can't remember the exact details but you can also try switching the honey to see if it gives you better results.

Not all combinations of conditioner+aloe+honey are the same. Sometimes you have to do some trial and error. I had icky batches which left me with dried white specks that looked like dandruff but that went away after I changed conditioners. So if you don't mind experimenting, you can try out different combinations before you give up on SMTs entirely.

Also, it's best to clarify before your first SMT to get rid of prior buildups. That will give the SMT a fair chance to work on your hair :p

Sundial
October 2nd, 2011, 02:58 AM
The honey is a possible culprit too. I remember a similar issue came up in either the Honey Lightening thread or the SMT thread where someone had a similar problem and katani said it could be a problem with a buildup (was it wax from honey or something?) which mostly happens with raw honey or something. I can't remember the exact details but you can also try switching the honey to see if it gives you better results.

Not all combinations of conditioner+aloe+honey are the same. Sometimes you have to do some trial and error. I had icky batches which left me with dried white specks that looked like dandruff but that went away after I changed conditioners. So if you don't mind experimenting, you can try out different combinations before you give up on SMTs entirely.

Also, it's best to clarify before your first SMT to get rid of prior buildups. That will give the SMT a fair chance to work on your hair :p

Slamca
October 2nd, 2011, 07:52 AM
Do you perhaps have the wrong kind of aloe gel? I used the green one (for soothing burns and insect bites and such) and it made me frizzy as hell!

hellopanpan
October 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM

I'm going to experiment for sure :) I think I'll try olive oil in place of honey, or just a little bit of honey (I used three tablespoons this time) and see where that goes. I really do like the results, but I feel like I need to tweak something so it could be better. I think I'll also go try a different conditioner, 'cause I've only used V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze since I started CO washing three months ago :)

That's a really good idea, I'm gonna try again next week and clarify first. This is probably going to sound like a silly question, but is an anti residue shampoo the same thing as a clarifying shampoo?

hellopanpan
October 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Do you perhaps have the wrong kind of aloe gel? I used the green one (for soothing burns and insect bites and such) and it made me frizzy as hell!

The one I used was Lily of the Dessert aloe vera gelly. Idk if that is a good one to use. But I ran out after my SMT haha, so I'll go out and switch it up to a different one. :)