PDA

View Full Version : Super dry hair remedies??

NaturalMommy
October 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM
My hair is fine/thin and super super dry. I wash w/ a baby shampoo and use a conditioner on the ends. But it's still so dry and straw like. It tangles easy and does not look pretty. An advise? What about biosilk?

Mairéad
October 1st, 2011, 11:01 PM
Have you heard of the forum's well-liked SnowyMoon Treatment? You can find a big thread about it here but the recipe is:

-4 parts of your favorite conditioner. (Cone and protein free tend to work better but it really depends.)
-1 part honey
- 1 part clear aloe vera gel.

Zap in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, slap it on freshly cleaned hair, and cover it with a shower cap for at least an hour and then rinse.

Many here swear by it so it's worth a shot I think. Many also rave about the results seen doing this after using a clarifying shampoo.

NaturalMommy
October 2nd, 2011, 12:10 AM
Ok very cool, thx. So what are some cone and protein free conditioners?

hellopanpan
October 2nd, 2011, 12:23 AM
I love love love V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze :) I literally just rinsed out and SMT and my hair is already starting to feel aahhhmazing!:cheese:

owlathena
October 2nd, 2011, 12:39 AM
I second SMTs and vo5!

WinterButterfly
October 2nd, 2011, 02:41 AM
How often are you washing your hair? I recently streached my wash longer than usual and my dryish hair is now soft and managable. Do you have color treated hair? That can cause damage which results in dry hair. You could try a leave in or oils. Coconut and olive oils are good for a lot of people. What all do you do with your hair? Do you use any heat? Do you use shampoo with sulphates? Some hair can't handle the stuff. Do you have splits or other damage? I get very dry skin, and I have to use lotions to keep from getting dry hands. I have to use a face cream so I don't flake. My scalp also gets too dry if I treat it roughly. And when my scalp is dry, so is the rest of my hair. My main advice would be to wash less. Maybe skip a day of shampoo and only use water or conditioner for those days.

ssjhotau2
October 2nd, 2011, 02:56 AM
V05 is a good cone free conditioner, but you may want to read the labels because I've found that many of their conditioners say it has soy proteins. I've used them for SMT with no trouble, but others have issues with protein. However, the honey and aloe don't agree with my hair (frizz) and so I just do my own with whatever is working for my hair atm.

I always do a really good smelling cone free conditioner (I like V05 tea therapy) with mashed avocado and some olive oil. Whip it all up together in a bowl and then spread it evenly into my hair starting at the ends. I then do two braids which I twist up and then I wrap a towel or plastic wrap around my head before bed. In the morning I CWC like normal :)

A wee bit of Vitamin E oil on my ends every morning helps my hair feel nice, and coconut oil as a prewash treatment between moisture days is nice too.

alwayssmiling
October 2nd, 2011, 03:47 AM
Do you use a leave in conditioner. I use a small amount of ordinary conditioner on wet hair. A tiny amount of coconut oil rubbed between my palms on slightly damp hair sorts my frizz out. I also find leaving my deep conditioners on for a whole hour, wrapped in a plastic bag, use a hairdryer to warm things up, wrap with a towel to keep the heat in - super slinky hair!

islandboo
October 2nd, 2011, 04:02 AM
As I understand it, baby shampoo is actually more alkaline than other shampoos (that's why it doesn't hurt as much to get in the eyes) so maybe a vinegar rinse would be helpful? And all the other advice above is good, too.

Gulbahar
October 2nd, 2011, 05:46 AM
As I understand it, baby shampoo is actually more alkaline than other shampoos (that's why it doesn't hurt as much to get in the eyes) so maybe a vinegar rinse would be helpful? And all the other advice above is good, too.
Also baby shampoo can be very very drying - it's not the gentlest option usually. One thing you could do is diluting a tiny bit of the shampoo with water, about 10% of what you normally use for washing. It will still get your hair clean and lather like crazy but it won't be as drying.

Sookie
October 2nd, 2011, 05:51 AM
My hair is super dry! I can leave it 1 month without getting dirty. :( Well what i do is use sulphates free shampoo, condition, a good hair treatment and jojoba or coconut oil as leave in(a lot of it actually because my hair is very dry). Aw and wash only when it gets really dirty...like once in 1 or 2 weeks(only when i go to gym i need a wash it is the truth). Also cut the damaged ends..it works.