PDA

View Full Version : My poor hair

Finnenna
October 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
Well over the last few weeks, I have had a horrific amount of hair shed - I think it's beyond normal - I have a clump the size of my fist every time I wash it. When I showed my mum she was shocked. At first I thought that since my hair is longer than I'm used to, it was showing as more. But it has gotten really bad - I can't braid or put my hair up without some coming out in my hands. Braiding it is like taking velcro and ripping it apart so I've stopped. It's now in buns all the time.

It's also super oily at the scalp and dried to velcro on the length. Mum also said I had dandruff. I bought a new shampoo about the time I noticed the change and have stopped using it as I think this is what made the change happen.

I've started taking my vitamins again too, starting today, maybe there is a deficiency. I'm just not sure - but my hair looks absolutely ruined.

Has anyone else experienced this, and what have you done to fix it?

ETA: I've had a ton of stress from school starting again, and I haven't heated or chemically treated it.

misspurdy06
October 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM
Oh dear. You should see a doctor. It's an external sign that something is happening on the inside. Could be low iron, lupus, anything. See a doctor.

Madora
October 1st, 2011, 04:05 PM
If you're losing that much hair with every washing, then a visit to your doctor might be in order to make sure you don't have anemia. Also have your thyroid checked as it contributes to your hair health too.

Good luck!

blondie9912
October 1st, 2011, 04:05 PM
Oh my! You didn't mention, is your hair damaged from heat/chemicals at all?

Finnenna
October 1st, 2011, 04:12 PM
Oh my! You didn't mention, is your hair damaged from heat/chemicals at all?

No, not at all. I haven't used heat or chemicals (except shampoo and conditioner) - not even henna for nearly a year.

I'll definitely see about going to a doctor ASAP! Thanks, everyone.

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM
hope you get it sorted out, try not to worry this will be sorted. just continue to be kind to it and it will thank you for it. Take care x

Charybdis
October 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
If your products contain 'cones and/or proteins, you might want to use a clarifying shampoo on the length and then moisturize with an oil treatment. That's unlikely to fix the shedding, but removing any buildup may help with the velcro texture.

Stress by itself can definitely cause hair loss, but seeing the doctor and getting a few things checked (esp. iron and thyroid hormones) is probably a good idea. Also, if you've started taking a new prescription or over-the-counter medication in the past year, do some research on the side effects and see if anyone is reporting hair loss.

Good luck! I had a lot of shedding in the past year and some thinning at the temples which is growing back in now (medication-related). I know it's no fun.

Finnenna
October 5th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I went to the doctor. My hair is just fine. I don't have dandruff - I had a really bad allergic reaction to the new shampoo I bought. I also have low iron. So... vitamins and new shampoo in my near future.

leeyah
October 5th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Those nasty shampoos can do that to you sometimes, I've had my share of poo-caused allergies. I had the same problem for quite a while, but mine was caused by a drug-store hair dye (I seriously should have known better...) and a lot of stress (writing my MA). Thankfully the excessive falling seems to have ceased. I'm taking my vitamins and pampering the hair with oils.

Lapin
October 5th, 2011, 01:06 PM
That's great that you were able to figure out what was going on so quickly! I'm struggling with allergy issues myself, so while I sympathize with you on that, I'm also very glad it wasn't something more serious, like lupus!

out of curiosity, to which shampoo were you reacting? and do you know which ingredient caused the reaction?

Finnenna
October 5th, 2011, 01:21 PM
That's great that you were able to figure out what was going on so quickly! I'm struggling with allergy issues myself, so while I sympathize with you on that, I'm also very glad it wasn't something more serious, like lupus!

out of curiosity, to which shampoo were you reacting? and do you know which ingredient caused the reaction?

I'm glad it wasn't a real health problem too! I got really scared.

I was using: Renpure ORGANICS Shampoo (http://www.drugstore.com/renpure-organics-my-pretty-hair-is-parched-moisturizing-shampoo-trial-size-2-7-oz/qxp345979?catid=183458&fromsrch=renpure+organics) and Renpure ORGANICS Conditioner (http://www.drugstore.com/renpure-organics-my-pretty-hair-is-parched-moisturizing-conditioner-trial-size-2-7-oz/qxp345980?catid=183400&fromsrch=renpure+organics)

Shampoo:

Water, Decyl Glucoside, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, PEG 10 Sunflower Glycerides, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract (Certified Organic), Carica Papaya (Papya) Fruit Extract (Certified Organic), Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract (Certified Organic), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Certified Organic), Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Glycerin, Polyquaternium 10, PEG 150 Distearate, Glycol Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Amodimethicone, C11 15 Pareth 7, Trideceth 12, Laureth 9, Coco Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Benzophenone 4, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butycarbamate, Fragrance

Conditioner:

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Centrimonium Chloride, PEG 10 Sunflower Glycerides, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Certified Organic), Carica Papaya (Papya) Fruit Extract (Certified Organic), Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract (Certified Organic), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Glycerin, Glycerol Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butycarbamate, Fragrance

jojo
October 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM
he was quick at diagnosing anaemia, bloods take like a week to come back here in the UK; im impressed! glad you got some answers xx

Finnenna
October 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I have a history of low iron, so she suggested I take some vitamins and see if that helped, or if the problem worsened schedule another to take tests to rule out anything worse. I had stopped using the shampoo before I went in, and less hair was falling out by the time I was seen.