PDA

View Full Version : something weird is happening.......

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 02:17 PM
O.K. this is going to sound weird and I cannot explain whats happening. 1 week ago I trimmed back to 28" which is just below BSL on me. Today I was having a shower and my wet hair touched near my waist. so O.K. my hairs wavy and wet hair is longer as its stretched but I measured once it dried and 3 times I got 29.5", my daughter also got the same. My hair when trimmed was also measured and I posted photo's of it in its natural state. I will get my daughter to post more photos tomorrow.

All I have changed is eating a tablespoon of peanut butter a day and I started on tail and mane shampoo and conditioner this week (just do 2 of these and 1 moisturising shampoo and conditioner a week). I know that cutting makes hair shorter but everytime ive trimmed its like my hair is in a rush to get back to where it was. I can only compare it to when your on a diet and reach a plateau, so you have a few days off and the weight starts coming off again-does that make sense?

How on earth not that I am complaining have I grown 1.5" in a week? Maybe my ends were not just thin but breaking off worse than I thought, its just weird.

I do normally go through a growth spurt from November to February and have done since joining here and being more aware of my hair, maybe its come early but never in the 4 years of being a member on LHC has my hair grown this quick.

My theory is trimming does aid in promoting growth, who really knows?

Just thought id share my news!

Mairéad
October 1st, 2011, 02:28 PM
I trimmed my hair and cut the mullet (pixie) off just two weeks ago and it's already back. Not complaining.--except about the mullet, lol.

Avital88
October 1st, 2011, 02:28 PM
Wow,that is amazing!So now you have good ends and waist lenght hair,good job!
i was just thinking about trimming my hair 2 inches tonight,and now i almost wanna try it:D
But then ,now im only a quarter inch away from tailbone..grr

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 02:56 PM
I trimmed my hair and cut the mullet (pixie) off just two weeks ago and it's already back. Not complaining.--except about the mullet, lol. its weird how it happens, its very hard to believe it myself ive just measured again.

Wow,that is amazing!So now you have good ends and waist lenght hair,good job!
i was just thinking about trimming my hair 2 inches tonight,and now i almost wanna try it:D
But then ,now im only a quarter inch away from tailbone..grr

I have just 0.5" to get back to waist. I wish id done this earlier now. In april I trimmed from 30" to 29" and the same thing happened, my ends are thicker but id still like them thicker. I am going to try and get to BCL and I know my ends will thin again; its what my hair does! but I will have no qualms in trimming back to hip and seeing what happens. You will soon reach that 1/4" try the peanut butter and some protein treatments, thye normally help me get that smidgen we need. Your hair and you btw are gorgeous.

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Ive just took some photos, now my hair is straight on here so it will look longer but I am putting a straight photo from last week too to show you all.

Last week just after trim day after I think, sorry the lightings bad my hair looks really dark on here, never mind!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/24thspet.jpg
and a minute ago
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/1weeklater-1.jpg

I dont see an inch and half but I do see some growth and all in a week, surely this is impossible?

ETA the first photo actually looks at waist, i think my head is further back than in the 2nd photo because in reality it was a little past bsl but not at waist

honeyblonde
October 1st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Yessss! It IS weird!
Sooo glad I'm not the only one this has happend to!
This happened after my last big trim.

Maybe it has something to do with shedding season? IDK
Anyway, Congrats!! :happydance:

spidermom
October 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM
I've often noticed a growth spurt after a trim. I don't care how many people say "oh that's ridiculous; it makes no sense!" I believe in trimming.

alwayssmiling
October 1st, 2011, 04:35 PM
I cut my daughters hair back to bsl at the beginning of the school holidays, by September she was back to waist (She grew, roughly, 2" in 6 weeks). I couldn't quite believe it - her hair was very dry, brittle, splitting at the ends, rather see through and strawlike and was stalled. I'm definitely a trimming convert. In fact I'm doing tiny micro trims the 1st of every month to try and boost my own growth. We'll see.

amantha
October 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
Whoa that is some awesome growth! Some people claim that Mane n Tail shampoo/conditioner makes their hair grow faster. If this is true...you are the poster child for it! I used to use it fairly regularly because it was cheap but have stopped recently because it made my hair a little dry. But I did notice it made my hair grow slightly faster than usual (although I don't really measure my hair -yet- so it could be in my head). Now my hair is getting greasy again so I'm gonna switch back to it. I should measure my hair and run an experiment with the results.

MrsGuther
October 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
WOW. 1.5 inches in a week? That's amazing! Good for you! :) Wish I could get that kind of growth spurt. I'm a non-trimmer, so I guess I won't be able to get a trim-induced growth spurt. lol

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 05:00 PM
Yessss! It IS weird!
Sooo glad I'm not the only one this has happend to!
This happened after my last big trim.

Maybe it has something to do with shedding season? IDK
Anyway, Congrats!! :happydance:
this happened in April too, i cut an inch off and it was back within a fortnight.

I've often noticed a growth spurt after a trim. I don't care how many people say "oh that's ridiculous; it makes no sense!" I believe in trimming. I remember a few years back you getting a huge growth spurt after a trim. I too believe in cuts to grow, yes some will say trimming doesnt make hair grow but this has never been proven and I also 100% believe trimming helps with growth. Ive done the no trimming my hair grew but not as much and it looked scruffy on the ends. Its almost as if hair has a memory, hard to explain .

I cut my daughters hair back to bsl at the beginning of the school holidays, by September she was back to waist (She grew, roughly, 2" in 6 weeks). I couldn't quite believe it - her hair was very dry, brittle, splitting at the ends, rather see through and strawlike and was stalled. I'm definitely a trimming convert. In fact I'm doing tiny micro trims the 1st of every month to try and boost my own growth. We'll see. same reason i trimmed not dry but see though ends, i still have a way to get my hemline thick but i will never fear the scissors again!

Whoa that is some awesome growth! Some people claim that Mane n Tail shampoo/conditioner makes their hair grow faster. If this is true...you are the poster child for it! I used to use it fairly regularly because it was cheap but have stopped recently because it made my hair a little dry. But I did notice it made my hair grow slightly faster than usual (although I don't really measure my hair -yet- so it could be in my head). Now my hair is getting greasy again so I'm gonna switch back to it. I should measure my hair and run an experiment with the results.
I dont think the mane and tail stuff actually grows hair faster, but in fine haired people like myself we need protein boosts, especially on those ends. My ends are like 6 years old, fine hair has no cortex so needs all the help it can get, protein treatments really benefit my hair as they make it stronger and therefore help me retain the growth. I make sure to throw a moisture treatment in VO5 moisture the new one is excellent or avon advocado and almond oil condish, good luck! try the peanut butter too just a tablespoon a day, Arc wrote something about growing like mad after doing this and her hair is like very long!

WOW. 1.5 inches in a week? That's amazing! Good for you! :) Wish I could get that kind of growth spurt. I'm a non-trimmer, so I guess I won't be able to get a trim-induced growth spurt. lol
Your lucky you can go without, not an option for me but I do envy people who can.

:magic::magic::magic::magic::magic::magic: <-----magic hair vibes to you all and thanks for your comments

ellen732
October 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM
Wow, if only the bangs I just cut in and hate would have a growth spurt, I would be sooo happy. I cannot wait until they are back to where they were before I cut them. Here's to hoping.

xoxophelia
October 1st, 2011, 06:10 PM
My guess would be that you trimmed off less than you had thought. Either way, your hair looks nice :)

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
Wow, if only the bangs I just cut in and hate would have a growth spurt, I would be sooo happy. I cannot wait until they are back to where they were before I cut them. Here's to hoping. my bangs have gone from poking in the eye, to the end of my nose which is exactly 1.5" too

My guess would be that you trimmed off less than you had thought. Either way, your hair looks nice :)

no it was a measured cut and my bangs/fringe has grown 1.5" too, I know its hard to believe and I cannot explain how this has happened :shrug: thank you for your comments.

ellen732
October 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
my bangs have gone from poking in the eye, to the end of my nose which is exactly 1.5" too.

You give me hope, now I'm wondering if I should by Mane n' Tail shampoo and conditioner.

Leucothea
October 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM
I'm so glad I found this! I trimmed my hair this morning. I just woke up walked down stairs, grabbed my moms hair scissor and trimmed maybe half an inch off. It looks so much thicker and nicer, but I was mourning the loss of my waist length a wee bit. But this makes me really excited! Maybe it will be back by the end of the month or so..? :)

Even if it isn't, I never really regret trims, I always want my hair to look healthy!

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 06:47 PM
You give me hope, now I'm wondering if I should by Mane n' Tail shampoo and conditioner. it cant do no harm, I also use a BBB twice a day. Make sure to do a moisture treatment in between to prevent dryness, good luck

I'm so glad I found this! I trimmed my hair this morning. I just woke up walked down stairs, grabbed my moms hair scissor and trimmed maybe half an inch off. It looks so much thicker and nicer, but I was mourning the loss of my waist length a wee bit. But this makes me really excited! Maybe it will be back by the end of the month or so..? :)

Even if it isn't, I never really regret trims, I always want my hair to look healthy!
Thats like me, I like blunt ends and mine thin seems every time I get to waist the same thing happens. I know every time I trim I get faster growth. Try the peanut butter too as its packed with protein and I dont eat a lot of meat. Good luck

MsBubbles
October 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Very interesting, Jojo! Enjoy the spurt :).

Hmm, maybe the roots *do* know when the ends have been cut :hmm: :D

Noreth
October 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
I hope it's the peanut butter! I've been eating a tablespoon a day for about a week and though I can't contribute it to that alone, my growth is definitely speeding up!:cheese:

KwaveT
October 1st, 2011, 08:31 PM
I hope it's the peanut butter! I've been eating a tablespoon a day for about a week and though I can't contribute it to that alone, my growth is definitely speeding up!:cheese:
I am going to have to try this tablespoon of peanut butter a day too. Even if it doesn't speed up growth, PB has healthy fats in it.

lizdini
October 1st, 2011, 09:23 PM
peanut butter is delicious! any excuse to eat it is a good one! Congrats on your growth!

xoxophelia
October 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM
interesting. hopefully your long hair luck stays on your side for a bit longer :)

UltraBella
October 1st, 2011, 09:36 PM
Am I the weird one out here ? I can't tell a difference between the first pic and the second. Your hair looks beautiful. In the first pic your hair is definitely waist and your head is not tilted back, it appears to be nice and straight. There is no way you can call that a bit past BSL ! When I look at the pics I see waist length hair and......well.......waist length hair. Which is awesome ! But, why am I the only one ?!
I feel like the weirdo of the group :(

owlathena
October 2nd, 2011, 01:12 AM
Looks longer to me! I'm going to have to reconsider my vow of not trimming

EmiliaF
October 2nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
This also happened to me in January. I trimmed 4'' (from 36'' to 32'') on Jan 4 and when I measured again two weeks later I was already at 34''. I couldn't believe it but that's what it was.
Unfortunately it then took 4 months to get to 36''. That was annoying.

Now I'm hesitant to trim, because I'm afraid of this growth spurt and then staaaaaaaaaaall.

pepperpot
October 2nd, 2011, 05:12 AM
I've always thought that trimming can't make your hair grow quicker because how can the roots know what the ends are doing etc. However, I've never been able to explain how my hair grows much much faster when I trim it regularly, I find myself cutting off an inch a month just to maintain the length. When I didn't trim for a whole year it grew less than half an inch a month. Then I trimmed off an inch and it grew half an inch in just a week! So maybe there is something in trimming for growth.

LadyCelestina
October 2nd, 2011, 06:50 AM
Same here with growth spurts after trimming - in the first september week,I microtrimmed my hair on Sunday and on Monday next week,it was longer than it was before the trim.
This rarely happens,but,happens :D

Congrats on the growth spurt! :) Enjoy it!

Panth
October 2nd, 2011, 07:39 AM
Am I the weird one out here ? I can't tell a difference between the first pic and the second. Your hair looks beautiful. In the first pic your hair is definitely waist and your head is not tilted back, it appears to be nice and straight. There is no way you can call that a bit past BSL ! When I look at the pics I see waist length hair and......well.......waist length hair. Which is awesome ! But, why am I the only one ?!
I feel like the weirdo of the group :(

Nope, they both look very similar to me too.

It would be better, of course, if the OP put the same shirt on as in the first picture and then took another picture. It's harder to tell exactly what's going on when the shirt is so loose you can't really see markers like waist very easily.

As for the measurements, well it's very easy to mis-measure (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=168).

CastaDiva
October 2nd, 2011, 07:43 AM
Ive just took some photos, now my hair is straight on here so it will look longer but I am putting a straight photo from last week too to show you all.

Last week just after trim day after I think, sorry the lightings bad my hair looks really dark on here, never mind!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/24thspet.jpg
and a minute ago
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/1weeklater-1.jpg

I dont see an inch and half but I do see some growth and all in a week, surely this is impossible?

ETA the first photo actually looks at waist, i think my head is further back than in the 2nd photo because in reality it was a little past bsl but not at waist

Your hair looks so shiny and healthy:)

jojo
October 2nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
Very interesting, Jojo! Enjoy the spurt :).

Hmm, maybe the roots *do* know when the ends have been cut :hmm: :D When ifirst joined here and started measuring I was getting 0.75" a month, then as it got longer it slowed right down to 1/4" a month. I dont think the roots know its shorter but then again who knows? I think when I trim the ends back to the healthy part, the length is retained. Like im probably still growing my 0.75" a month but loosing a lot due to delicate ends. Protein treatments definitely do help my hair type and ive noticed when ive done the aphogee 2 step ive had what seems like an increase in growth, when really its not an increase in growth its an increase in length as the ends havent snapped off.

I hope it's the peanut butter! I've been eating a tablespoon a day for about a week and though I can't contribute it to that alone, my growth is definitely speeding up!:cheese: I do think this makes a difference, though its hard for me to swallow it but I am going to keep this "supplement" up. My nails have also sped up and my chin hairs *gross*

I am going to have to try this tablespoon of peanut butter a day too. Even if it doesn't speed up growth, PB has healthy fats in it.Yes it wont hurt you, ive really noticed a difference in the quality of my hair too

peanut butter is delicious! any excuse to eat it is a good one! Congrats on your growth!
thank you, its nice blended in a smoothie too!or on ice cream!

interesting. hopefully your long hair luck stays on your side for a bit longer :) knowing me no it probably wont:( but will enjoy it while i can!

I feel like the weirdo of the group :( This is what my daughter said, i dont see the 1.5" either but it reads that on the tape, wish id took a photo of my bangs now as you can see the difference more there, plus the distance taken between both photos doesnt help. I can also tell with my dressing gown, after the trim my hair didnt touch the cord, now its just touching. I suppose its hard to tell when its that length but my nails and hairs on my chin (erugh!) are needing plucking everyday so something speeding up at last!:)

Looks longer to me! I'm going to have to reconsider my vow of not trimming
thank you, i did a no trimming last year lasted 4 months and then had to trim back an inch and again it grew back and more in record time. I know spidermom did the exact same thing and grew something like 2.5-3" back in record time, as did Heidi another member who 3" back within a month.

This also happened to me in January. I trimmed 4'' (from 36'' to 32'') on Jan 4 and when I measured again two weeks later I was already at 34''. I couldn't believe it but that's what it was.
Unfortunately it then took 4 months to get to 36''. That was annoying.

No I'm hesitant to trim, because I'm afraid of this growth spurt and then staaaaaaaaaaall. maybe just do teeny trims and see what happens, good luck

I've always thought that trimming can't make your hair grow quicker because how can the roots know what the ends are doing etc. However, I've never been able to explain how my hair grows much much faster when I trim it regularly, I find myself cutting off an inch a month just to maintain the length. When I didn't trim for a whole year it grew less than half an inch a month. Then I trimmed off an inch and it grew half an inch in just a week! So maybe there is something in trimming for growth.
my experience too. at the end of the day we can never be quite certain how these things work as there has never been proper scientific experiments, common sense tells me cutting makes hair shorter but maybe the roots recognise a change in the weight. I know my mum tried growing her hair and she has always had short hair and she struggled to get any length, which again makes me think the root has some kind of memory.

Same here with growth spurts after trimming - in the first september week,I microtrimmed my hair on Sunday and on Monday next week,it was longer than it was before the trim.
This rarely happens,but,happens :D

Congrats on the growth spurt! :) Enjoy it!
I really do believe that trimming helps with growth and I know a lot of people think poppycock but in my experience and some others this has been the case, maybe its hair type too?

pepperpot
October 2nd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Oh I'd just like to add, that when I didn't trim for a year, the slower growth wasn't due to damaged ends breaking off, because the ends were very healthy, no splits, and the hemline looked exactly the same as when I had cut it. It grew amazingly evenly, just very slowly. Then, it suddenly grew faster than normal when I trimmed. I think you're right, we don't really know for sure how it works. I would love to see some kind of scientific research on this. I used to be very sceptical of the "trimming makes your hair grow faster" idea. Now I'm not so sure.

You have lovely hair by the way.

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'm using mane n tail shampoo and conditioner myself. I have noticed my hair has grown some. I also use the condish as a leave in. I also wash my hair weekly and condish and rinse out repeat condish as leave in. I like the leave in as substitute for styling products. I wear my hair in a loose bun on my head.

jojo
October 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Your hair looks so shiny and healthy:)
thank you:)

Oh I'd just like to add, that when I didn't trim for a year, the slower growth wasn't due to damaged ends breaking off, because the ends were very healthy, no splits, and the hemline looked exactly the same as when I had cut it. It grew amazingly evenly, just very slowly. Then, it suddenly grew faster than normal when I trimmed. I think you're right, we don't really know for sure how it works. I would love to see some kind of scientific research on this. I used to be very sceptical of the "trimming makes your hair grow faster" idea. Now I'm not so sure.

You have lovely hair by the way.
thanks pepperpot, this has happened in the past to me, we just need a guinea pig now to prove our theory!

I'm using mane n tail shampoo and conditioner myself. I have noticed my hair has grown some. I also use the condish as a leave in. I also wash my hair weekly and condish and rinse out repeat condish as leave in. I like the leave in as substitute for styling products. I wear my hair in a loose bun on my head. It makes the hair so soft too years ago i tred it but it dried my hair out, this time round im really impressed with it. Ive not tried as a leave in, but I shall be trying this.

moon2dove
October 2nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
I trimmed my hair on 22nd September from 22" to 21.3" I was going to measure again on 22nd October, But after reading your amazing growth. I have measured and WOW!! My hair HAS grown back to 22" I think maybe you're right! There is something in trimming regular. Before this mini trim I hadn't had a trim since Oct.2010 ! I think this has changed my mind and I might try another mini trim in a month to see if I get more growth!! :)
By the way your hair looks great :) Happy growing!

I am also going to start eating Peanut Butter!

Sunny_side_up
October 2nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Beautiful length and shine jojo. Yay for trims!
A couple years ago i had monthly mini trims and noticed that i got the length back in no time! With the feeling of lovely manageable healthy ends, smooth brushing, neat braids... ooo i have been considering a trim lately and think when i'm next at my mums a little trim is in order.
It was a long hot summer and i was thinking it was thanks to that...
Its the bigger spaced out trims i've had recently over the last year that have made my growth seem minimal, though i definately know its growing well, a recent self trim of my fringe has seen a fabulous growth spurt of my fringe. This year i feel i had a stall during spring to summer:rolleyes: thinking about it, i havnt trimmed as regularly?!!
But other factors have played on my mind; not regularly taking my multi vit & iron. Also i've started regular scalp massages, mornin jogs, more fruit n veg and my growth appears to have been boosted:eyebrows:
But indeed i am a believer in trims for progress:)

Rocket22
October 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
Wow I want some crazy growth too!!! are you still drinking the tea? you know really makes you wonder if hair does get stimulated when cut? I mean when we shave the hair grows back but if we didn't shave (I'm talking body hair) the hair will only get so long and stop right? so how does it know to grow again when it's been shaved off if it's only stimulated through the roots. (hope that made sense) :)