PDA

View Full Version : I really wish I could grow my hair faster.

Orangerthanred
October 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Imagine your hair was thick, 3a, and frizzless. It could grow down to your feet if you wanted, because it grew so fast.

I had that hair a while ago. My hair literally could grow an inch a month, and it never really stopped growing. I kept it at midback, though.

Oh, but I was an ungrateful person. I hated curly hair and I wasn't used to it- my hair had been 1c up until the roots started to grow in curly.

Then I got relaxers. Not just one.

Twice. I speak not of the gentle relaxers- I mean the type for coarse, resistant hair. I had split ends everywhere and, when I brushed my hair, I'd lose about a handful of hair.

Thus, I cut it to shoulder length. Now my hair is a little bit longer and it grows REALLLY REALLLY slow.

And it will take years to grow my hair out, because I have to slowly trim off the relaxed parts, then grow out the curly parts to midback again...

spidermom
October 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
I've been there. The best thing to do is pull your focus off your hair as much as humanly possible. Hair growth likes to sneak up on you.

Orangerthanred
October 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
I've been there. The best thing to do is pull your focus off your hair as much as humanly possible. Hair growth likes to sneak up on you.

It's hard not to think about it...

KwaveT
October 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Your hair may not grow at a consistently fast rate for twelve months anymore. Many things can force your hair into the anagen phase (rest phase). Some people have no growth for months then get very fast growth. Like spidermom said you need to get your mind off your hair length and not check for a long time, then it will sneak up on you.

blondie9912
October 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
I agree with spidermom, you should look into what the best routine for you would be (perhaps a good place to start would be clarifying?) and work from there. Do NOT obsess and preen over your hair (tempting as it may be), since that will probably result in even more breakage since constant styling/combing tends to have that effect. Good luck! :)

PS. Have you looked into Monistat for hair growth?

spidermom
October 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
I know it's hard, but I had to do the same thing, get my mind out of my hair because it was driving me crazy. Take up a new hobby a class or something, and avoid checking for length too often. If you're checking for growth 9 times a day, like I was, you will not see progress. If you only check once per month or less, you will see progress - guaranteed.

MrsGuther
October 1st, 2011, 04:47 PM

Agreed. Hair growth definitely has a way of sneaking up on people.

PixxieStix
October 1st, 2011, 05:28 PM
Oh, I am right there with you. It's disappointing, frustrating, and sometimes makes you want to cry. BUT, we live, we learn, and our hair from now on shall benefit from past experience and will again one day be what we want it to be. I'm looking into biotin and MSM for hair growth, and may go pick some up from a reputable source next weekend. My hair is a bit too short to have up all the time, but once I can, I'm keeping it hidden so one day I'll look in the mirror and go "OH! When did my hair get *that* long?!" Sending positive energy and thoughts your way!

Mairéad
October 1st, 2011, 05:30 PM
My hair is just chin length with really awful layers. :D
So, you have a significant head start on me. I'd focus less on what speed your hair is growing and just focus on a good routine and pampering it. It's equivalent to a dieter checking their weight every day, they won't see progress and may even see "opposite" results (water weight) and get discouraged.

I know you've also been discouraged by putting your hair up but when you wear your hair up a lot one day you'll take it down and say, "My, my where did all this hair come from?"

I can put my hair back in a half pony tail at my length, use a headband, and even braid my fringe and once in awhile I'm shocked at where all the hair is coming from even thought on a daily basis it seems like the same amount of hair.

xoxophelia
October 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM
I'm right there with you :)

My hair was colored many times, cut into funky layers, and as a result needed to be heat styled to look decent. Still growing out that mess and have been since I joined o.o