PDA

View Full Version : Spam mail!

cmg
October 1st, 2011, 04:21 AM
I have started to recieve some spam mail directed to USA citizens and/or originating from USA since I registered here as a user. It comes to the email address I have given here to the LHC. Is it possible, the search machines have detected my address here somehow? I have never had this before.

cheetahfast
October 1st, 2011, 05:31 AM
I don't think so. I've never gotten spam to the e-mail that LCH uses for me, but maybe someone else had a problem as well...

cmg
October 1st, 2011, 04:56 PM
It was very conspicuos because of the english language. All my other mails are in other languages, that is why I noticed them immediately.

jeanniet
October 4th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think so. I have several different emails so I know if I get directed spam, and I've never gotten any due to LHC that I know of. Anything's possible, but I think they got your address some other way.

cmg
October 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I don't think so. I have several different emails so I know if I get directed spam, and I've never gotten any due to LHC that I know of. Anything's possible, but I think they got your address some other way.
The question is, how? I have diferent emails also, trying to stay away from spam as long as possible. I keep track very closely if I "publish" them online or not and where.

physicschick
October 5th, 2011, 07:36 AM
The question is, how? I have diferent emails also, trying to stay away from spam as long as possible. I keep track very closely if I "publish" them online or not and where.

Depending on what your address is, it might be easy for spammers to guess. For example, if your address is a single dictionary word @gmail.com or a short string of characters @yahoo.com, an automated program that e-mails all dictionary words @gmail.com would eventually hit upon yours. If the program recorded which addresses bounce and which don't, your address could be entered into a list of valid e-mail addresses and sold to other spammers. At least I'm pretty sure this is how it works. I have a gmail address that I've never given out anywhere, but it still receives spam.

Anyway, I can tell you for sure that LHC isn't giving your e-mail address to spammers. :)