PDA

View Full Version : One More Hair Decision (pics)

UltraBella
October 1st, 2011, 01:19 AM
Before my haircut on Monday afternoon, I have to decide if I am doing anything with my color or not. I have several colors woven through my hair plus a couple inches of roots.
In some lighting my roots blend nicely with the rest, in other lighting - not so much. In some lighting it still looks really reddish, which I have been trying to slowly get away from.
I have to decide to leave it or touch it up. I don't know what I want. Suggestions ?

Here are some pics showing what I currently have going on. I took these at 7am yesterday, I had just taken my bun out so excuse the messy hairdo.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/47cd7cec.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/c945900e.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/02d7c7c7.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/c429c42e.jpg

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/5ca9a584.jpg

ssjhotau2
October 1st, 2011, 01:36 AM
I can't see any roots in your hair at all- they blend quite nicely to me :shrug: I would wait until they were more noticeable and then touch them up if that is what you want to do.

owlathena
October 1st, 2011, 01:38 AM
I dont see much of a line, I think it blends nicely! I vote leave it as is.

C.H.
October 1st, 2011, 01:46 AM
What's your ultimate hair color goal, Ultrabella? Are you trying to get back to your natural dark blonde, or?

Toadstool
October 1st, 2011, 01:50 AM
You are such a babe!
I love the reddish colour, but you said you want to get away from that.

hototogisu
October 1st, 2011, 01:55 AM
I don't really notice any regrowth, but I might have been distracted by your INCREDIBLE INCREDIBLE HAIR. HOLY CATS, WOMAN! SO MUCH HAIR!

Hamh
October 1st, 2011, 02:07 AM
I don't notice the roots, I do notice very striking hair though!!!!!

Kyla
October 1st, 2011, 02:31 AM
Totally off topic: You have such a gorgeous, happy smile.

On topic: I think it all blends really well together, I don't really see a reason to change it unless you just really want to experience that change.

supbanana
October 1st, 2011, 02:33 AM
Like the others, I honestly can't tell the difference between the roots and the rest of your amazing hair.

UltraBella
October 1st, 2011, 02:36 AM
Here, you can definitely see the regrowth in this pic. I used a Demi color 6 or 7 weeks ago, which helps to soften the demarcation line, since it slowly fades out.
I don't know what my hair color goals are, I don't want a head full of my natural color but I hate the root issue. It happens really quickly. Ugh !

Behold the power of the flash :

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/8ec97d44.jpg

theodora
October 1st, 2011, 03:04 AM
As everyone said already, I think your roots aren't too bad at all! You could definitely leave your hair for a little bit like this.
I do think the red tones do contast with your natural colour which is somewhat cooler (says the girl with an extremely ashy natural colour at the root and henna which doesn't want to budge from her length). I'm not a professional and I'm only expressing my humble opinion, but if you don't want a full head of your colour - which I can totally relate to, as a full head can look quite flat, especially when you have quite a lot of hair - why don't you try having someone (or yourself) weave in some golden/caramel highlights.
Golden/caramel tones I found contrast less than a more strawberry/redish blonde would do, so they will add depth and bring more light to the whole thing in a subtle manner. And I'm sure it could be done in a way that would limit damage, as it's not like you'd be going for white blonde highlights using bleach.

alyanna
October 1st, 2011, 03:15 AM
I agree you can probably hold off. The difference isn't that obvious at all as it just seems like you have several "natural-lokking" shades woven into your hair.

You could probably go a shade darker all-over to even it out, or use something like a toner or something to get rid of any reddish/brassiness. But it's certainly not something you absolutely need.

Athena's Owl
October 1st, 2011, 03:40 AM
I think you have an *amazingly good colorist.* holy cow. And that said, I think your colorist will have the best ideas on what to do.

some days I wish I could just do color. and good color like that reminds me.

some days I think I'd like to lighten my hair just a bit, from warm black to deep brown, and then I remember how lazy I am!

jasper
October 1st, 2011, 03:55 AM
I think the camera flash is just showing us that the new growth has a different texture/ surface shine than the previously colored length. It reflects light differently, but how often are you in such a harsh light? I think it takes that harsh light to be visible.

If you think you will see the color difference more in wedding photos of your upcoming bridesmaid gig, you might want a root touch up now, but then, how many of those photos are going to be a top view down into your hair?

xoxophelia
October 1st, 2011, 03:56 AM
Oh wow I really like your virgin roots. That hair is really shiny and the color is a kind of "classy" dark blonde. It is up to you but if you are up for going virgin I think it would look great.

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 05:17 AM
I really can't see any roots even in your flash photo, the difference is hardly noticeable. to be totally honest I was too busy looking as the sheer volume and thickness of your hair, its just perfect.

iris
October 1st, 2011, 05:42 AM
It looks perfectly natural to me - dark blond hair almost always changes color further down the length (due to sun bleaching), pulling more towards gold or towards red depending on the person. The placement of your highlights is so brilliantly done exactly where the sun would put them, that to me, it really looks like it grows out of your head this way, and like you spend a lot of time in the sun.

I think it's a great look. I run out into the sun every time I can in order to achieve just this look :lol:. Your colorist obviously knows what he/she is doing - if he/she suggests to do some light toning here or some light streaking there to make the look more durable I'd go along with it, but otherwise I'd just leave it the way it is.

newbeginning
October 1st, 2011, 05:56 AM
I didn't notice the roots till the extreme close up so I doubt many people would at a regular distance. I like the reddish colour you have on the rest of your hair now. I think it really suits your colouring.

Lisa R
October 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM
I think the colour blends beautifully and I can't see any noticeable roots. Just love your hair! So beautiful and thick.

julierockhead
October 1st, 2011, 06:34 AM
It looks perfectly natural to me - dark blond hair almost always changes color further down the length (due to sun bleaching), pulling more towards gold or towards red depending on the person. The placement of your highlights is so brilliantly done exactly where the sun would put them, that to me, it really looks like it grows out of your head this way, and like you spend a lot of time in the sun.

I'm with iris - the very slight difference at the roots gives your hair that authentic summer-just-ended-aw-the-beach-is-closed look.

Olivia23
October 1st, 2011, 06:44 AM
Hi Ultrabella. Love your hair. I know this is off topic but how did you get your hairdresser to cut your layers? I wold love to get layers like yours but have no clue how to tell my hairdresser. She was afraid last time I told her I wanted shorter layers.

slz
October 1st, 2011, 07:02 AM
I think the camera flash is just showing us that the new growth has a different texture/ surface shine than the previously colored length. It reflects light differently, but how often are you in such a harsh light? I think it takes that harsh light to be visible.
This ! I think what the roots pic with flash shows is that your roots are healthier than the rest, being virgin. The difference in colour isn't noticeable in "real" light.

racrane
October 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM
I think it blends in really well, even with the flash. I love your hair, by the way! :)

UltraBella
October 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM
Golden/caramel tones I found contrast less than a more strawberry/redish blonde would do, so they will add depth and bring more light to the whole thing in a subtle manner. And I'm sure it could be done in a way that would limit damage, as it's not like you'd be going for white blonde highlights using bleach.

I like the caramel tones idea !

I think you have an *amazingly good colorist.* holy cow. And that said, I think your colorist will have the best ideas on what to do.

some days I wish I could just do color. and good color like that reminds me.

some days I think I'd like to lighten my hair just a bit, from warm black to deep brown, and then I remember how lazy I am!

She really is talented. My entire head was colored in a bright copper red for years and I asked her to start taking me back to a more natural color so my roots wouldn't drive me batty, but not to destroy my hair in the process. She has done a wonderful job.

If you think you will see the color difference more in wedding photos of your upcoming bridesmaid gig, you might want a root touch up now, but then, how many of those photos are going to be a top view down into your hair?

I think the surface shine would be more correctly categorized as the "Zumba sweaty scalp look". I was a grease ball from two days of intense exercise but no hair washing. I was feeling super lazy !!

You have a good point about the wedding photos. That involves heavy flash and I would have another 3 weeks of roots on top of what I have now. Thank you for pointing that out, I have to seriously consider that !

UltraBella
October 1st, 2011, 08:55 AM
Hi Ultrabella. Love your hair. I know this is off topic but how did you get your hairdresser to cut your layers? I wold love to get layers like yours but have no clue how to tell my hairdresser. She was afraid last time I told her I wanted shorter layers.

So, the trick to really great layers is to have a very talented stylist ;) Many stylists are uncomfortable cutting layers, which means they should not.
The bottom layer, or longest layer, needs to include the hair directly above your ears. You want your longest layer to include this hair so that you do not end up with the "short hair in the front, long hair in the back" issue. About 1 inch up from my ears is all treated as hemline hair, and that stays long no matter what layers are being cut in. Long, blended layers are what you are going for and is a typical way to describe what I have.

spidermom
October 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM
I don't think the difference is enough that you have to do anything, so do what you want.

Charybdis
October 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM
UltraBella, I empathize -- I hate roots on myself too, even when other people tell me they're not noticeable. That's why I decided last year that I was ultimately going to give up the dye. I also went the golden highlights route to blend my old reddish color into the roots, and it worked really well. I had the highlights 3 or 4 times, and then stopped coloring about 6 months ago. It's looked surprisingly good growing out (like you, I'm blessed with a great colorist). I'm sure your hair will look fantastic, whatever you decide with the color!

honeyblonde
October 1st, 2011, 09:43 AM
Wow! I love the color variation, it shows up nicely in the first pic. You could highlight just a FEW SELECT strands near the root area - if the regrowth bothers you! Your hair is beautiful.....whatever you chose will look gorgeous!!

Deborah
October 1st, 2011, 10:57 AM
I think your hair looks great. As it is various colors anyway, the roots don't stand out.

Personally I think your natural color is lovely. I vote that you grow it in all natural. (I will admit to being a 'your natural color is best' advocate.):)

heartgoesboom
October 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM
i vote touching it up coz i'm anal about that... but i really can't tell where the line is.

i feel like playing with my curlers today to get your hair even for a day!

Demetrue
October 1st, 2011, 11:33 AM
I can barely see any line of demarcation, but just for fun, I would add in a few, subtle cool or neutral toned highlights where the sun would naturally lighten your hair around the front.

mallorykay13
October 1st, 2011, 11:57 AM
First off, you are absolutely beautiful. Secondly, I think your natural hair blends in well. No need for a touch up!

UltraBella
October 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
I think your hair looks great. As it is various colors anyway, the roots don't stand out.

Personally I think your natural color is lovely. I vote that you grow it in all natural. (I will admit to being a 'your natural color is best' advocate.):)

Thanks ! I will admit, a full head of my natural color sounds very unappealing. Lol. I looked much better as a redhead than a super dark ash blonde. My skin color and natural hair color do not compliment each other. Sometimes nature has an oops, I might be one of them !

To EVERYONE, I have been enjoying the comments and suggestions. Thanks !! What I decide depends on my stylist's schedule for Monday and how long my new cut takes. I think I will have a bit of foiling done before the wedding either way, just to make sure my roots don't look crazy in all the pictures. Camera flash really makes it more noticeable.

Lostsoule77
October 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM
I'm glad you came to a decision. :) I always value your help so I had been hoping to help you. I was going to suggest you do nothing for now, since your roots only showed in the flash, and do some highlights closer to the wedding. :) Either way you know your hair is going to look amazing!

ange1ito
October 1st, 2011, 01:36 PM
I like your virgin hair colour and the colour in pic 4 from your post. I don't think the variation is that noticeable that you should do it again. Your virgin hair definitely reflects light much better and looks much glossier.

jaine
October 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
WOW. Major hair envy! Hmm. Let me pick up my chin off the floor so I can reply......... :D
Anyway.....

You mentioned a few pages back that you don't want a full head of your natural color, but your roots become annoying. I think it would look really amazing if you let the canopy grow completely out in your natural color, but get some highlights and lowlights in the underlayers.

amantha
October 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM
Ultrabella, you have my dream hair! :inlove: I have layers in my hair, but I wish I could have a ton like yours without my hair looking thin. Also is your hair naturally that wavy or is it from sleeping in a bun? I'm only asking because I've been wanting to try and see if I can stand sleeping in a bun to see if it gives me better waves (plus my BF loves it when I put my hair up so I'm sure he wouldn't mind :) ).

As for your color, I really don't see any roots. It looks a TINY bit different at the roots in that one photo from above but I can't tell if that's just from the flash. I think your roots blend in very well! Since you don't want to go all natural though, I like the auburn/red tones in your hair. They really complement your skin tone and green eyes (I've always been partial to red hair/green eyes so I'm a bit biased).

Buggheart
October 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
I hope this doesn't sound totally stupid but I officially have a crush on your hair. I love it. It's absolutely amazing and I love the color as it is. But I could definitely see the caramel tones in there and it would look really good.

dulce
October 1st, 2011, 02:29 PM
I vote leave it!The roots don't show much in the pics,only colour if you want to go to a more ashy all over colour. Gad! You have the most beautiful hair!!

Melisande
October 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
And I can't even look at your hair because I look at your perfectly lovely face! Must be great to be so pretty ;-) and have such huuuge eyes!

UltraBella
October 1st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Ultrabella, you have my dream hair! :inlove: Also is your hair naturally that wavy or is it from sleeping in a bun? I'm only asking because I've been wanting to try and see if I can stand sleeping in a bun to see if it gives me better waves (plus my BF loves it when I put my hair up so I'm sure he wouldn't mind :) ).

I do have naturally wavy hair, but it's different than my bun curls. The bun actually gives my hair curls at the ends and smooths out some of my crazy wavy areas. You should try it !!

I hope this doesn't sound totally stupid but I officially have a crush on your hair.

If my hair could blush, it would right now. What a sweet compliment, thank you.

And I can't even look at your hair because I look at your perfectly lovely face! Must be great to be so pretty ;-) and have such huuuge eyes!

Now I am blushing !!
When I was a baby I looked a big strange with giant deer-in-the-headlight eyes. I grew into them quite well though.
Just a side story :
My mother had severe PCOS and was not supposed to be able to have children. My parents had been married 15 years before they discovered that my mother was five months pregnant with me. My mother prayed daily not to have an ugly baby, but she obviously forgot to pray for hair because I was bald until I was two.

amantha
October 1st, 2011, 03:36 PM
I do have naturally wavy hair, but it's different than my bun curls. The bun actually gives my hair curls at the ends and smooths out some of my crazy wavy areas. You should try it !!

Oo! What style of bun do you sleep in? I haven't yet mastered braiding my own hair and I'm not super adept at buns yet either so I always just throw my hair in a messy bun when I need it out of the way. It makes the ends wavy but I always end up with a line where my elastic was. It would be nice if I could avoid that!

kidari
October 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM
Your last post made me trim my hair all over and decide to maintain at my current length for now. I'm so excited to see the update pictures whatever you choose to do. I vote to leave it as as or perhaps dye it all to match the color in your roots- I really love your natural color. If you leave it alone then you can have more time to decide on what to do with the color and get it touched up right before the wedding?

blondie9912
October 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM
It seems to bother you (otherwise you would probably be convinced that you shouldn't touch the regrowth :p) If you want to do something about it, I love the idea of adding caramel tones to your hair like another poster mentioned. Maybe adding some light caramel brown lowlights throughout would disguise the roots (which, by the way, I don't think are AT ALL noticeable! :) while bringing you closer to your ultimate goal of diminishing the red tones in your hair.

By the way, your hair is stunning! I was on another thread and my mom pointed to your avatar picture and said "you know I'm not a fan of long hair, but hers is so thick, lush and healthy!" I agree with her :D The colour is beautiful as well, no matter what you choose to do with it

mom2fourgirls
October 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
you make me wish I never cut my hair :) I had the same hair as you until I cut it and donated it to locks of love only it was black !!! leave it the way it is.. it's beautiful anyhow :)

PixxieStix
October 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Lol, behold the power of a flash... teehehe.

Anyway, onto your hair, I really don't see much of a root line. I think we LHC'ers notice these things much more than the general public, especially on ourselves, so unless you feel the need for a change, I'd leave it be.

sisi33
October 1st, 2011, 07:40 PM
I can see a slight differnce in the second picture, but none in the first- once I got past how much I WANT your hair! So pretty! As far as wedding photos go, who's going to be photographing your scalp? :p

RedDevil
October 1st, 2011, 07:58 PM
I vote leave it alone! You have such nice hair! You have more hair than all of us over at the fine/thin thread put together

UltraBella
October 1st, 2011, 09:48 PM
I can see a slight differnce in the second picture, but none in the first- once I got past how much I WANT your hair! So pretty! As far as wedding photos go, who's going to be photographing your scalp? :p

Lol, no one will be photographing my scalp. But...... I can already see my roots pretty well in the flash pics and my hair grows so fast that in three weeks I will have another inch of new growth. That might make a big difference. I am just afraid with the strong flash of the professional photographer that it will be super obvious.

To be honest, at this very moment I am *SO* tempted to dye it copper red again ! The roots are unbearable though, there is no blending whatsoever when it is that big of a contrast between colors.
I will not give in, I will not give in........ Man, it would look awesome with my cinnamon and espresso bridesmaid dress ! Sigh.
Bad UltraBella, bad !!

heartgoesboom
October 2nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
haha i think you do want copper red hair :p

UltraBella
October 2nd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Oo! What style of bun do you sleep in? I haven't yet mastered braiding my own hair and I'm not super adept at buns yet either so I always just throw my hair in a messy bun when I need it out of the way. It makes the ends wavy but I always end up with a line where my elastic was. It would be nice if I could avoid that!

I have no idea what you would call it, but it's the only one that works for me. I put my hair in a high ponytail using a scrunchie, twist the length tightly and then wrap the twist around the scrunchy, tucking my ends in the scrunchie at the back. Then I use a few pins or tiny clips to keep it all in place.

blondie9912
October 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Lol, no one will be photographing my scalp. But...... I can already see my roots pretty well in the flash pics and my hair grows so fast that in three weeks I will have another inch of new growth. That might make a big difference. I am just afraid with the strong flash of the professional photographer that it will be super obvious.

An inch in three weeks?! Please share your growth secret :D

UltraBella
October 2nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
An inch in three weeks?! Please share your growth secret :D

It's hereditary. My mother's hair grows as fast as mine and she is 69yrs old. I just went from BSL to waist in 3 months. It's documented with photos on my other thread. I entitled it something about hair update and what I want. Let me go find it.......

Here it is :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78740
If you have already seen it, please disregard !

GracieRae
October 2nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
You have gorgeous, beautiful hair!!! Wow! I love the color and I don't see roots in any of the pics. I wouldn't change a thing. Is your hair as thick as it looks?

UltraBella
October 2nd, 2011, 11:39 PM
You have gorgeous, beautiful hair!!! Wow! I love the color and I don't see roots in any of the pics. I wouldn't change a thing. Is your hair as thick as it looks?

Yes, it is. I have more hair, by far, than anyone I know. I have no idea why :shrug:

celebriangel
October 3rd, 2011, 08:05 AM

To be honest, at this very moment I am *SO* tempted to dye it copper red again ! The roots are unbearable though, there is no blending whatsoever when it is that big of a contrast between colors.
I will not give in, I will not give in........ Man, it would look awesome with my cinnamon and espresso bridesmaid dress ! Sigh.
Bad UltraBella, bad !!

How come you don't want to dye your hair, Ultrabella? I love the copper red on you, but I know the upkeep could be stressful if you have to dye very often. The only reason I stopped was because it took a toll on my thickness - remaining hair was just fine.

Buffy
October 3rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
Ok seriously you have the most beautifull hair ever!! THIS is exactly my idea of what "gorgeous hair" looks like....just amazing!

tinti
October 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
It's not fair, you have perfect hair AND perfect diva look ;) Color-wise I'm not much help because I think it's lovely as it is.

Ginny Mae
October 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
I can only see your roots when you used the flash, and even then they just looked a bit ashy compared to the rest of your hair. It didn't look really unnatural if that makes any sense?

I think red hair would look lovely on you. If you wanted more of a red colour for the wedding but without the commitment you could have a semi-permanent dye put in? I had one a year ago and it was really pretty, I think they called it a "colour gloss" or something. Or you could just have a copper toner put on your hair? My hairdresser used to do that for me to make my blonde highlights warmer so they blended in with my red hair.

Otherwise, there's no harm in getting your roots done if they're bothering you. Or you could go for the ombre look like Elle Macpherson!

UltraBella
October 3rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
How come you don't want to dye your hair, Ultrabella? I love the copper red on you, but I know the upkeep could be stressful if you have to dye very often. The only reason I stopped was because it took a toll on my thickness - remaining hair was just fine.

My hair just grows too fast for all-over color to be a good option for me. When I dye my hair the copper red color I love, my roots are very visible within 14 days. Ashy + copper = yuck. The upkeep is brutal. And honestly, with as thick as my hair is, even just touching up the roots only is a major pain.
I have been foiling in highlights and lowlights for quite some time now and it blends better and requires less maintenance, so that makes me happier. I miss the full head of copper red awesomeness though :(

invisiblebabe
October 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Just a side story :
My mother had severe PCOS and was not supposed to be able to have children. My parents had been married 15 years before they discovered that my mother was five months pregnant with me. My mother prayed daily not to have an ugly baby, but she obviously forgot to pray for hair because I was bald until I was two.

Hahaha, maybe you have so much hair now to make up for your first two years of life being bald :lol: